HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:45 AM

It would be cool if they closed Wardlaw to cars at Osborne to make a little plaza. I like this corner in Victoria's Fernwood. There are a few spots around Corydon Osborne where that would be nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
It would be cool if they closed Wardlaw to cars at Osborne to make a little plaza. I like this corner in Victoria's Fernwood. There are a few spots around Corydon Osborne where that would be nice.
Great idea, that would make a really nice plaza!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:07 PM

I was in Montreal and Quebec City this past week. Those closed streets create awesome little neighbourhood spaces. love them. Also forces traffic out of the residential streets.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
This is the perfect solution to pedestrianizing the village without disrupting transit and traffic, love it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This is the perfect solution to pedestrianizing the village without disrupting transit and traffic, love it.
Any public "pedestrian plaza" in the Village will sadly become the new hangout for the methheads.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Any public "pedestrian plaza" in the Village will sadly become the new hangout for the methheads.
What a bloody Gordian knot of a problem. Like what can you do with the methheads? The cops won't arrest them, the courts won't prosecute, they won't go to clean shelters or are too afraid of the conditions in the shelters to do so. Many of them are from up North with no support structures and a life of victimization and in some cases, victimizing others. All I know is that the perception of safety is starting to drag the village back into bust period in public perception despite the exciting development and work being done in the Village. I don't envy the Biz these days.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:05 PM

The meth heads are in my back yard regularly. So who cares if I meet them out on the street. Might as well invite them in for a coffee.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:17 PM

It's shocking how many there are and where they are. It is urban, suburban, rural. Sleeping in our cars, our parks, our other public spaces.

I remember being a teenager and sneaking out at night and roaming the streets at all hours with friends. My parents knew and it didn't really bother them because we lived in a safe quiet neighbourhood. Is there such a thing anymore, anywhere?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:17 PM

from linkedin "We are thrilled to announce that the first of three buildings of the Zu development (207 multi-residential units) located at 445 Wardlaw Avenue has welcomed its first residents this month, with more to join soon! Currently, The Zu is 60% leased, and we anticipate residents moving in throughout July, August, and September. Our beautifully designed show suites overlooking Osborne Village will be open for viewing as of today, July 8th. Join us during our visiting hours below and experience all that the Village has to offer!

Mondays: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Thursdays and Fridays: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Saturdays: Call For Appointment
Sundays: Closed

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 11:23 PM
surely you agree with me

wow. 60 percent leased.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
wow. 60 percent leased.
That sounds pretty solid given the $$ pricing and the fact that the south end of the project is still a hole and some structural beams.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:23 PM

60 percent leased for the first building sounds pretty good. Or have they secured 60% for all three buildings even though the other two are not even close to completion?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:29 PM

Reading the text, it sounds like the Zu (all three buildings for 207 units) is 60% leased.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:30 PM

Is the setback along Osborne (at the top) a factor related to zoning regs? Should've just gone with the Wardlaw elevation along Osborne. (nitpicking here I know lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
from linkedin "We are thrilled to announce that the first of three buildings of the Zu development (207 multi-residential units) located at 445 Wardlaw Avenue has welcomed its first residents this month, with more to join soon! Currently, The Zu is 60% leased, and we anticipate residents moving in throughout July, August, and September. Our beautifully designed show suites overlooking Osborne Village will be open for viewing as of today, July 8th. Join us during our visiting hours below and experience all that the Village has to offer!

Mondays: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Thursdays and Fridays: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Saturdays: Call For Appointment
Sundays: Closed

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:27 PM
surely you agree with me

^ yeah, there is a setback requirement all the way down Osborne. It was brought in in the 1960's as a long term plan to widen the street. There are many streets in Winnipeg with this caveat. You can see when the bylaw came in further down Osborne where 70's buildings are suddenly set back....its 2.5 meters.

I fought it at my Osborne project but they are adamant that it is to make a better sidewalk, not a bigger road....I hope that's true. It does improve the sidewalk....does take a good bit of land away from developers though....there's also height and step back requirements further up which need to go away.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:28 PM
surely you agree with me

even if it is just the first building 60% leased is amazing for a high rent building in the inner city.....so much for all those people yelling..."who is going to live in all these luxury condo's"

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
even if it is just the first building 60% leased is amazing for a high rent building in the inner city.....so much for all those people yelling..."who is going to live in all these luxury condo's"
Do you think this will be used as a test case to justify increased development along these inner city high streets? I'm hoping that this proves there is lots of demand.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:03 PM

Quote:
....there's also height and step back requirements further up which need to go away.
I wonder if the usual community concerns about shadows/shade will change over time as climate change leads to worse heat waves. The stepback requirements are usually related to shadows, right?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 3:19 PM

Has this large orange Zu sign gone up on the north side yet? (With the levitating pieces?). I think it will help break up that grey wall a bit

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 3:23 PM

The sign is up yes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan