HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The Multiplex was D.O.A. once the feasibility study was completed sometime during 1990-91. Not sure why a Free Press writer would resurrect a bad idea over 2 years later.

History has vindicated that study. Nearly every multiplex stadium that was constructed (mainly during the late 80s/early 90s) failed for professional sports. It failed in Tampa Bay (Lightning and Blue Rays). It failed in San Antonio (Spurs). In fact, most stadiums built for both baseball and football have been replaced, and the remaining ones are woefully inadequate. Just look at Montreal's Olympic Stadium and Toronto's Skydome as examples. The Big O was not paid off, until the Expos left. It's been without a major sports tenant for 17 years. The SkyDome was never great for baseball, and horrible for football. Even the lowly Argos would relocate to the much smaller BMO Field.

The Jets would have been gone in a decade, had the Snowcap Dome been built. No way the public would tolerate two venues for the Jets to be built in less than 20 years.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Sep 30, 2021 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:10 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
The more I look at this the more I think how awesome it would have been. I love the idea of diverting portage Avenue to reduce its massive scale and highway appearance. That pedestrian promenade would have been amazing. Such a bold idea. Would have really transformed downtown. I wish I knew who drew it. Where does it come from?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

see this on number 10's flickr

more images
https://www.flickr.com/photos/number...57624480607942

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The more I look at this the more I think how awesome it would have been. I love the idea of diverting portage Avenue to reduce its massive scale and highway appearance. That pedestrian promenade would have been amazing. Such a bold idea. Would have really transformed downtown. I wish I knew who drew it. Where does it come from?
sware ive posted those images on here befor hunting flickr atm as i know seen them on there

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:35 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:39 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:40 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:59 PM
surely you agree with me

Great stuff Oaktom. Where possible can you indicate what it is? Who did it or where it comes from?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
The Multiplex was D.O.A. once the feasibility study was completed sometime during 1990-91. Not sure why a Free Press writer would resurrect a bad idea over 2 years later.

History has vindicated that study. Nearly every multiplex stadium that was constructed (mainly during the late 80s/early 90s) failed for professional sports. It failed in Tampa Bay (Lightning and Blue Rays). It failed in San Antonio (Spurs). In fact, most stadiums built for both baseball and football have been replaced, and the remaining ones are woefully inadequate. Just look at Montreal's Olympic Stadium and Toronto's Skydome as examples. The Big O was not paid off, until the Expos left. It's been without a major sports tenant for 17 years. The SkyDome was never great for baseball, and horrible for football. Even the lowly Argos would relocate to the much smaller BMO Field.

The Jets would have been gone in a decade, had the Snowcap Dome been built. No way the public would tolerate two venues for the Jets to be built in less than 20 years.
The writer of that article was the proponent. He kept pushing the concept right up until TNSE started construction of the new arena. I have to give him credit for trying, he never stopped writing op-eds, letters to the editor, posting information on the internet, etc.

Obviously in hindsight it would have been a mistake, though. As you point out, I think in the 80s there may have been some appeal to the "all in one" idea but it was obsolete by the 90s. Building something like that in, say, 1993 would have meant having to build a new arena maybe 20 years later.

There are some other arena ideas that would have been busts. There was the "Winnipeg Coliseum" which called for once again raising the roof on the old Winnipeg Arena and adding more seats... that would have been a 10 year band aid kind of like the 1979 expansion.

That said, I'm sure something like the Manitoba Gardens idea or the Spirit of Manitoba Forks arena would have been fine... they'd still be going strong today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
?

Any details on this one? I've never seen it before. I can't make out all the writing on the bottom... looks like it says ___________ Towers Apartment Hotel? Can't quite tell where it is.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Any details on this one? I've never seen it before. I can't make out all the writing on the bottom... looks like it says ___________ Towers Apartment Hotel? Can't quite tell where it is.
It looks like an early design for 360 Cumberland. I'm just guessing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:30 PM

^ The more I squint, the more it looks like it says "Hargrave Towers"... so perhaps meant to go where True North Square is? I can't identify the background buildings besides the Legislature so it's tricky to place exactly where it is.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:56 PM
Source?

There aren't many triangle lots in the city. It almost looks like the triangle beside Memorial Provincial Park (but the Legislature is in the wrong spot)...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The writer of that article was the proponent. He kept pushing the concept right up until TNSE started construction of the new arena. I have to give him credit for trying, he never stopped writing op-eds, letters to the editor, posting information on the internet, etc.

Obviously in hindsight it would have been a mistake, though. As you point out, I think in the 80s there may have been some appeal to the "all in one" idea but it was obsolete by the 90s. Building something like that in, say, 1993 would have meant having to build a new arena maybe 20 years later.

There are some other arena ideas that would have been busts. There was the "Winnipeg Coliseum" which called for once again raising the roof on the old Winnipeg Arena and adding more seats... that would have been a 10 year band aid kind of like the 1979 expansion.

That said, I'm sure something like the Manitoba Gardens idea or the Spirit of Manitoba Forks arena would have been fine... they'd still be going strong today.

i owned this drawing at one point and somehow it got lost when i moved outa my moms 10yrs ago she has no idea where it is either see if i can find the origonal file to read the txt better

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:20 AM

There was a proposal in the mid 70's to build a complex as big or bigger than Lakeview Square @ Ellice Ave where the 2 former NRC amethyst buildings are. I recall and office tower, hotel and a couple of apartment towers It was published in a Winnipeg magazine in 1976? I recall my grandfather showing it to me as a young child. It was a name like Centennial Square or Centennial gardens ?? It was to mark Winnipeg centennial but never went forward. Also there was a proposal for a 31 floor apartment where Manulife building is & the church @ Broadway & Kennedy. I wish posters would have the courtesy to NAME what these proposals were & where they were to be places? Thanks

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:22 PM
What could go wrong?

This looks like a massing plan for the City's East of the Red Rec-Plex next to the Transcona library

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktom View Post
This is/was a proposal for a Metis Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktom View Post
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Some kind of weird massing plan for around the hydro tower - sorry it is small

Original render of Th Arc (Student Residence) building on Pembina and Bison

An early render of the apartment tower at the Winter Club on Stradbrook

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 12:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Nygard Village Plan for the lane of either Elgin or John Hirsch Place (between James and Market) in the east exchange

Addition to the Northern Electric Building on Market in the east Exchange

Proposal by Lakeview for the empty lot Edmonton and St Mary for a hotel - quite possibly the ugliest building I have seen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan