Great White Norf

America can pray mass shootings away

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Another hail mary from Bombardier.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ircraft-boeing

My spy's tell me that the proposal is going to TB on Nov 1st. On another note, according to my source, Bombardier was told to STFU about this. Clearly they don't take orders from anyone.
BBD can complain all they want. Nobody at DND wants their paper airplane. And nobody in government wants to fund their R&D for a product they would probably struggle selling outside Canada. Added impetus is that this government has sent ministers all over the with talking points about how our defence spending benefits the US, with the P-8 purchase as an example. They need that to leverage other access on issues like emerging EV supply chains. Bombardier does not outweigh all those other interests.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 6:31 PM

I know this Israel-Palestine conversation has kind of run its course on this thread, but I came across a pretty disturbing quote from Netanyahu in 2019 that brings a lot into question with current events. Leaving this here for people to chew on.

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/statu...186619?lang=en

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 7:48 PM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is a left wing anti Netanyahu newspaper. It sounds like this quote is him responding to right wing criticism of his dealings with Hamas which as the article says was about keeping the peace. I mean they might the right about the strategy but I don't think that comment is a smoking gun.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
This is a left wing anti Netanyahu newspaper. It sounds like this quote is him responding to right wing criticism of his dealings with Hamas which as the article says was about keeping the peace. I mean they might the right about the strategy but I don't think that comment is a smoking gun.
Perhaps it is, so feel free to post a more centrist or right wing source for another perspective/viewpoint.

If it’s a left wing paper it has taken me by surprise due to the western left wing’s tendency to protest in support of the terrorists.

Either way, I’m just trying to understand this mess more completely. Everything I’ve researched so far points to the Hamas goal of eradicating the Jewish people and taking back Palestine by whatever means is necessary. Turn off all the noise and this rings clear. It really puzzles me as to how ‘educated’ people can support that, so I figure I must be missing something…

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 9:50 PM

A timely reminder that the savage Hamas attacks effected more than just Israelis:

Traumatized Thai farmers recount horror of Hamas massacre as families wait for news of loved ones held hostage
By Ivan Watson, Kocha Olarn and Heather Chen, CNN
Updated 7:28 AM EDT, Mon October 30, 2023

....He recalled hiding for hours that day but was discovered by a man he recalled as being a Palestinian dressed in civilian clothes who tried to cut his throat with a kitchen knife, after he “refused to surrender. A savage fight ensued.

After the violent struggle with his attacker, Kunwong was left for dead, heavily bleeding from the wound in his throat. He was eventually found and cared for by other migrant workers. He managed to survive, he believes, because the knife had been blunt and broken.

“He couldn’t finish the job,” he told CNN. “This injury still hurts but I feel the hurt inside more,” he added.

His story is a tragic illustration of the human toll of the ongoing war that has claimed thousands of lives in both Israel and Gaza and displaced more than a million people in the Hamas-controlled territory.

Hamas has described its brutal attack as an assault on Israel. But so many of those murdered and kidnapped by the militant group’s fighters were also foreign nationals.

According to an estimate released by the Israeli Government Press Office last week, 135 hostages holding foreign passports from 25 different countries are being held in the Gaza Strip....

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/30/asia/...hnk/index.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Perhaps it is, so feel free to post a more centrist or right wing source for another perspective/viewpoint.

If it’s a left wing paper it has taken me by surprise due to the western left wing’s tendency to protest in support of the terrorists.

Either way, I’m just trying to understand this mess more completely. Everything I’ve researched so far points to the Hamas goal of eradicating the Jewish people and taking back Palestine by whatever means is necessary. Turn off all the noise and this rings clear. It really puzzles me as to how ‘educated’ people can support that, so I figure I must be missing something…
Left wing ISREALI newspaper. So no they aren't cheering for the terrorists. They might, like western left, feel that Isreal's actions encourage terrorism etc. but they want a strong Jewish state and just think peace is the best way to get to that result. That's different than those who support Palestinians claim of from the river to the sea. Which is about eliminating a Jewish state if not Jews. In any practical sense the two are the same though in some fantasy of the left it will be like South Africa and everyone will just coexist with the new majority taking democratic power. (Nevermind the populations are more or less equal now). For more realistic folks Israel should retreat to their 1966 borders and let the Palestinians form a state on the occupied territories. Israel is never doing that of course but even if they did it's clear the first crowd doesn't go away and they'd have to worry about the neighbour as much or more than they worry now. There is no easy answer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Left wing ISREALI newspaper.
Yeah, I know it's Israeli. Just pointing out that their 'left wing' seems more centrist from a western point of view.

Of course they are not going to side with the people who brutally murdered Israeli citizens. The rest of the world shouldn't either, IMHO.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Exactly my point. With that double taxation would have come the privilege of maybe someday seeing the USS Gerald R Ford CSG come to Shediac Bay to bail YOU out personally with a red carpet evacuation (should Canada turn to shit one day)
Naw the Ford would expect him to visit Halifax Harbour. Like it did last October.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 1:12 PM

When people talk about Netanyahu and Likud being barriers to peace, we're not just talking about settlements in the West Bank, we're talking about supporting Hamas as a cynical political measure to weaken the Palestinian Authority and the possibility of a two-state solution. People have known this and criticized them for it for a long time now.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
When people talk about Netanyahu and Likud being barriers to peace, we're not just talking about settlements in the West Bank, we're talking about supporting Hamas as a cynical political measure to weaken the Palestinian Authority and the possibility of a two-state solution. People have known this and criticized them for it for a long time now.
This has been a sort of "open secret" for quite some time. It's only very recently that this has been reported in mainstream Western media. CBC actually had a good analysis piece about it a few days ago.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:11 PM

My impression is that the majority of the Israeli people want to get him out of office, but they want to wait until the hostilities die down, as you wouldn't want a change of leadership in the middle of an armed conflict.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:15 PM
recession proof

Israel doesn't want peace. They've always been hankering for an excuse to wipe out the Palestinians. I wouldn't be surprised if like 911, the Hamas attack was allowed to happen to justify an expanded war.

End result is a tribal conflict that in reality is class warfare. Mostly desperate poor people against a people who brag about their accomplishments and wealth. Hamas could be interchangeable with street gangs in poor Toronto neighborhoods. Are they really terrorists or simply the reality of living in poverty?

Re: the protests in Canada. A few years ago, after that London Ontario hit and run against Muslims, the Jewish community on SM went all out supporting them. Now, where's the support?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Israel doesn't want peace. They've always been hankering for an excuse to wipe out the Palestinians. I wouldn't be surprised if like 911, the Hamas attack was allowed to happen to justify an expanded war.
It amazes me the logical hoops people jump through to justify this sort of idiotic conspiracy theory bullshit. The same government that somehow moved the chess pieces around in an intricate dance spanning over a decade with the ultimate goal of killing thousands of its own citizens then spent the next decade chasing over the mastermind they were supposedly manipulating to their own aims all along. And what exactly did they accomplish? The government is somehow simultaneously able to pull off the impossible while also being inept and ineffective. You see the exact same brain-dead reasoning with Ukraine-Russia. Same thing now with Israel. You guys can seriously fuck off.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Getting harder and harder on here to sort out who is pissed off at whom and for what reason.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 4:52 PM
recession proof

It has nothing to do with the government. Think about the Trump nonsense happening. It's a sideshow to distract from the reality: court cases, investigations are BIG business. It's like the slow moving real estate development industry: designed to maximize return for all players, from city bureaucrats, planners, architects, contractors to developers.

It's truly amazing how many right wing conservative Christians support this war, so their Jesus, who was Jewish, can return to save them only? The only religion opposed to this illegal occupation/war, eg the Anglicans, get their property destroyed in Gaza for having the courage to speak the truth.

Ukraine Russia conflict was simply an exercise to perfect the modern battlefield, essentially a model for Israel to follow in Gaza. Now they're trying to get Lebanon and Iran involved, so they can justify another drone war.

My position, as a Unitarian, is peace. My God clearly isn't the Jewish, Muslim nor Christian God.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Oct 31, 2023 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:38 PM
Great White Norf

There are undoubtedly many Israelis that want Peace, PM Benjamin "Bibi" Netanyahu certainly isn't one. He faces an ongoing trial and a decent prison sentence when this War is over so in the interests of self preservation he wants this War to continue indefinitely. Israeli newspaper, Haaretz has been particularly critical of Netanyahu's administration and have offered the same conclusion.

Netanyahu helped make Hamas stronger while trying to minimize the legitimate Fatah Party/Palestinian Authority. Hamas after a slim victory in 2006 strongarmed Fatah/PA out of Gaza completely

In 2018 the Israeli Basic Law passed by a very slim margin, 53% of the Knesset vote which immediately removed Arabic as an official language and turned Israel into an Ethno-State
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basi..._Jewish_People

Many non Israelis don't even know this law was passed 5 years ago.

It allows for legal subjugation of the 2.1 million Arabs that live freely in Israel and comprise 21% of the total population. Not all of these folks are Palestinian or Muslim. Now they feel like second class citizens. Imagine how citizens of the West Bank let alone Gaza feel if free Arabs in Israel now feel second class.

While 360,000 Israelis were called up as IDF reservists for the War on Hamas in Gaza, 32 year old Yair Netanyahu lives in Miami and cannot possibly return to fight as he is in the process of getting USA citizenship

The wealthy and powerful always get other people's children to fight their Wars that their decisions enabled and led towards.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Ukraine Russia conflict was simply an exercise to perfect the modern battlefield, essentially a model for Israel to follow in Gaza. Now they're trying to get Lebanon and Iran involved, so they can justify another drone war.
Get outside, touch grass, unplug, whatever you need to do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada