Son - "Yes, just push the disco button!!"
Me .."what 'disco' button.. what are you talking ab.. ohhh.."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:38 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
My then 4 yr old kid: 'Moi je suis né en 2007'.

Me - 'yep'

'et mon frère, en 2010'.

Oui.

'Toi papa, tu es né en deux-mille quand?'

You might as well be from the 1800's.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 9:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've lived in 7 decades, and I might as well be from the 1800s.

Sadly I do have quite a bit of disco (I basically have all rock and derivatives from the 1965-1985 period, from British invasion to Hard Rock, from R&B to punk, from New Wave to Prog Rock, and from Disco to Easy listening...and my tastes haven't changed much since). My Sirius XM is often tuned to 70s on 7 (much to my wife's chagrin)

The Internet existed, but nobody (Except a few computer science students) used it when I was doing my undergrad degree.

I remember that first time I fired up that AOL freebee disc (3 FREE HOURS!!), back in early 1995...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 9:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not a child of mine, but a pre-teen girl my family knew, who was wild about tap dancing, was very eager to show me a "really old video, probably going all the way back to the 1990s, of a girl who is an awesome tap dancer".

She then whipped out her phone and proceeded to show me a black and white video of Shirley Temple from the 1930s or 1940s.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 10:13 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Sadly I do have quite a bit of disco
Only 6 for me.

This is the only disc aux song I have on my usb stick stuck in my car:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:51 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
My Sirius XM is often tuned to 70s on 7 (much to my wife's chagrin)
I play the heardle app with my brother every day (usually just the regular one, and 80's and 90's). If he guesses correctly, I am guaranteed I will know it.

Back in the day, we were all exposed to the same music. Not like today, where my 12 year old son knows about more music than my 15 year old, it seems.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 3:04 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:

Sadly I do have quite a bit of disco (I basically have all rock and derivatives from the 1965-1985 period, from British invasion to Hard Rock, from R&B to punk, from New Wave to Prog Rock, and from Disco to Easy listening...and my tastes haven't changed much since). My Sirius XM is often tuned to 70s on 7 (much to my wife's chagrin)

The Internet existed, but nobody (Except a few computer science students) used it when I was doing my undergrad degree.

I remember that first time I fired up that AOL freebee disc (3 FREE HOURS!!), back in early 1995...
I had a PC for several years before the internet was common, people thought it was a novelty, a bit useless and weird.

Music really spans the decades. I've been having fun discovering that there is lots of new music that appeals to me, and discovering lots of new old music I had never heard.

Having kids might be stressful and age you a bit, but then they will keep you up to date on technology etc. as they grow up. People with kids in my age group are typically more tech savvy than the ones without kids.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I've lived in 7 decades
True, though you wouldn’t be my first choice of interviewee if I were looking for first-person testimony and anecdotes about how real life was in the 1960s

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I got my first (four function) LED pocket calculator when I was a senior in high school.

I did my first computer science course at university in 1977. We still did our programming with punch cards, and programs were run on teletype machines (no computer screens).

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I remember having to master a slide ruler in elementary school.

We didn't have a color TV until I was 6. It had vacuum tubes.

I got my first computer quite early (1982). A super powerful Tandy TRS-80 COCO 2.

Something like 8K memory (about 4 typewritten pages of BASIC-A coding).

I did a lot of programming back then. And I also used it to play this:

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 2:27 AM
SUSPENDED

I got my first TV in 1998 (free off the street, probably a 1970s model with antenna) & PC in 2002. Poverty and parents being luddites contributed to that, although I started using the internet at Robarts in 1996: 30 minute sessions maybe thrice weekly. I remember when it was controversially branded Scotiabank Information Commons and ads were installed in urinals (1998 iirc.) I didn't get my first cell phone until 2012 (Samsung Galaxy Note.) Overall I'm not very tech savvy.

I've been listening to The Drive and heard Iggy Pop for the first time - not bad although I grew up with electronic/dance/techno/trance music and still mostly listen to it, although I've got hundreds of classical music CDs and almost a thousand 1960s/70s/80s rock/disco and 90s techno LPs. I was listening to my late '80s cassettes in Toronto: Belinda Carlisle, INXS, Skinny Puppy etc. My Dad mostly listened to 1940s/50s country and pop; my mother only likes baroque/classical.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Nov 13, 2022 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:19 PM
Fake News

I've found the ninth circle of hell: It is trying to hang curtains while a baby is scream crying and a toddler runs around destroying things unsupervised.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I've found the ninth circle of hell: It is trying to hang curtains while a baby is scream crying and a toddler runs around destroying things unsupervised.
Sounds like you are in the thick of it!

Cheer up, it could be worse. My mom likes to remind me of my toddler phase when the phone would ring and she went to the land line to answer it... meanwhile, I'd go to the kitchen, get eggs from the fridge, and start dropping them on the floor

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:43 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sounds like you are in the thick of it!

Cheer up, it could be worse. My mom likes to remind me of my toddler phase when the phone would ring and she went to the land line to answer it... meanwhile, I'd go to the kitchen, get eggs from the fridge, and start dropping them on the floor
Thankfully the toddler hasn't gotten into the fridge before. Just likes to throw heavy objects, hit walls, bash his head on the floor and generally destroy things.

I've been in 'the thick of it' all month. First was building an Ikea kids bed, then renovating the room, now hanging curtains. All tasks you could normally do in an afternoon. Throw in young kids that need constant supervision and attention, multiple product returns and trips to the store (including the Minotaur maze known as Ikea) and it has literally taken weeks and led to some of the worst moments I've had as a parent.

At least the new blackout curtains allowed the baby to sleep an hour and half today on his own which is a record and worth every penny.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:45 PM
Fake News

Quote:

I've lived through 5 decades and witnessed the birth of the digital era. I'm not sure if I qualify as an Xennial or Millennial as I do fit the bill for one who was born in a microgeneration between the digital era and the analog one.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 10:56 PM
SUSPENDED

I dated a single mom in the late aughts, helping raise her daughter from age 2-6, and to this day the now 18 year old still calls me her "pretend Dad." (Her real father remarried and lives in Asia, hasn't seen his daughter in years. Sad.) Anyway so I can relate to your kids "terrible twos" and "fearsome four" lol.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:30 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I dated a single mom in the late aughts, helping raise her daughter from age 2-6, and to this day the now 18 year old still calls me her "pretend Dad." (Her real father remarried and lives in Asia, hasn't seen his daughter in years. Sad.) Anyway so I can relate to your kids "terrible twos" and "fearsome four" lol.
Fearsome four sounds scary! Funny how everyone emphasizes the Terrible Twos but says nothing about Threenagers or Fearsome Fours.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:31 AM
Fake News

Delete

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 16, 2022 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Fearsome four sounds scary! Funny how everyone emphasizes the Terrible Twos but says nothing about Threenagers or Fearsome Fours.
Regardless of the age, they can all be "sassholes"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada