HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 11:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
This is older, but should give you some idea of the noise factor: https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafe...n/dblevels.htm
That is soooooo outdated. The last 707/DC-8 went out of revenue service around 1980. There have been no turbojets flying since then.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 12:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That is soooooo outdated. The last 707/DC-8 went out of revenue service around 1980. There have been no turbojets flying since then.
Well, except maybe Nygard's 727, but now that seems highly unlikely with his current situation.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Council's Assiniboia community votes against city planners and the airport - and in favour of Cadillac Fairview's plan to amend the Polo Park area land-use rules so that residential development can move forward.

This now moves on to property committee. #wpgpoli #cbcmb
https://twitter.com/bkives/status/12...834906114?s=20

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:47 AM

Awesome!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
A few years ago, when the city planners would get overruled by council and a Shindico development went through, Skyscraperpage would be up in arms.

Today, city planners got overruled and a Shindico development went through, and Skyscraperpage rejoices. The difference a few years makes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
A few years ago, when the city planners would get overruled by council and a Shindico development went through, Skyscraperpage would be up in arms.

Today, city planners got overruled and a Shindico development went through, and Skyscraperpage rejoices. The difference a few years makes.
The money behind it is CF that’s the difference.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The money behind it is CF that’s the difference.
Well, the news segment I saw on TV the other day featured two representatives from Shindico, one who was was introduced as the owner.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Well, the news segment I saw on TV the other day featured two representatives from Shindico, one who was was introduced as the owner.
The land the former target is on, the rest is CF.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:

Personally I'm more concerned with the substance of the development than who's behind it.

The planners are doing what they have to do... they are bound by the policies in place. They can't green light something that is not aligned with the policy for the airport area.

However, what I've been saying is that the airport plan made sense in 1997 but it doesn't make sense anymore... it needs to be revisited to open the door to what is an attractive and desirable form of development in the Polo Park area.

Let's face it, developers tend to get their way in this town. It's nice to see that power used for something good, for once.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 2:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Well, except maybe Nygard's 727, but now that seems highly unlikely with his current situation.
B727 used a low bypass turbofan.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:53 PM

Here's a question: has anyone ever noticed, or been bothered by a plane flying over Polo Park while in the mall?
When I think about it, I don't remember ever noticing any aircraft sounds while in the mall.
On the other hand, back when Target was still operational, I found the noise from aircraft overhead to be quite noticeable, and probably even bothersome if it was converted to office space. I wondered at the time about the quality of the construction of that building. I assume the requirements for commercial or industrial construction don't have the same acoustic insulation standards.

In any event, I've been going to that mall for years and I've never even noticed the sounds of planes when inside. Surely with proper attention to acoustic insulation, the new housing will be fine. I'd be ready to rent in this development if I was looking to downsize.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:56 PM

I don't recall ever being bothered by plane sounds in any stores around Polo Park. The only time that I ever really notice the sound of planes coming and going is when I'm at the zoo, but that's outdoors.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:32 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't recall ever being bothered by plane sounds in any stores around Polo Park. The only time that I ever really notice the sound of planes coming and going is when I'm at the zoo, but that's outdoors.

I notice the planes when I'm waiting for a bus at the Transit Terminal. Kind of a pleasant sound and view. Don't know if I'd want to live under the planes though.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:37 PM

For context. I was driving to highlander yesterday on Ellice. I was on Silver heading west. The plane coming in for landing was super low! Like clear as day you could see rivets on the skin. Flying right over the houses.

The planes are still relatively high in the polo area when coming in for landing.

Good to see Assinniboia committee voted to go ahead. but what is the process here. I thought this was already before council.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I notice the planes when I'm waiting for a bus at the Transit Terminal. Kind of a pleasant sound and view. Don't know if I'd want to live under the planes though.
I remember watching them pass by from my perch watching football games in the old stadium's east side upper deck... they never struck me as being that noisy from there, though.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:56 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm just not sure why we would allow WAA to dictate what should and shouldn't happen in the area. I get that there are restrictions, but the reality is that this development is way outside their jurisdiction. It's not airport adjacent and doesn't really affect their ability to develop infrastructure- especially this argument for a third runway. Winnipeg isn't Toronto. I don't see the need for this type of development when we haven't even hit a population of one million. Edmonton does just fine with two runaways and they have double the number of passengers of Winnipeg.
It’s a cargo airport first and foremost. That’s where the money is and where the possibilities lie.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Here's a question: has anyone ever noticed, or been bothered by a plane flying over Polo Park while in the mall?
When I think about it, I don't remember ever noticing any aircraft sounds while in the mall.
On the other hand, back when Target was still operational, I found the noise from aircraft overhead to be quite noticeable, and probably even bothersome if it was converted to office space. I wondered at the time about the quality of the construction of that building. I assume the requirements for commercial or industrial construction don't have the same acoustic insulation standards.

In any event, I've been going to that mall for years and I've never even noticed the sounds of planes when inside. Surely with proper attention to acoustic insulation, the new housing will be fine. I'd be ready to rent in this development if I was looking to downsize.

I tend to agree. The only places I've really noticed an annoying level of aircraft noise is in the Carpathia area off Corydon and Sturgeon Creek area when I've been at friends homes.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:27 AM

I used to live in River Heights directly under a flight path for 25 years. The trains a few streets over were much more of a nuisance than any planes flying over head. Not only loud, but shook the house - all hours. Was still fine.

Quote:

This development is significantly different than almost every other Shindico development of big box crap and parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:07 AM

As someone who has travelled to a lot of developing countries, I have to say we are waaaaaay more sensitive when it comes to airplane sounds. Or just sounds in general. A lot of countries, the concept of "noise pollution" doesn't really exist.

Now I'm not saying that we should change our policy to match what they have in New Delhi. But I will say that with the amount of immigration in Winnipeg, I have no doubt that those towers units near polo will sell. Sure the born and bred Manitoban who doesn't want to hear a peep from their neighbours might not want to live there... but some people will, and when you ask them about the airplanes they'll say "What airplanes?"

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:33 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
As someone who has travelled to a lot of developing countries, I have to say we are waaaaaay more sensitive when it comes to airplane sounds. Or just sounds in general. A lot of countries, the concept of "noise pollution" doesn't really exist.

Now I'm not saying that we should change our policy to match what they have in New Delhi. But I will say that with the amount of immigration in Winnipeg, I have no doubt that those towers units near polo will sell. Sure the born and bred Manitoban who doesn't want to hear a peep from their neighbours might not want to live there... but some people will, and when you ask them about the airplanes they'll say "What airplanes?"
Many people who are from continental Europe are also happy to live in apartments too. I think it can be a lifestyle choice.

Living next to one of Manitoba's best shopping malls also has its appeal. Going shopping quickly will never be easier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan