HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:44 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Looks amazing to me.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Target please(!)
Doubt it. IC is looking to position Oakridge against Pacific Centre as a high end fashion centre.

I'd expect to see a Simons or if they could swing it a saks, but I doubt they will locate so close to their downtown store. Hopefully they can get their leasing going as I've heard they are moving a bit slower than they would like to be.

I love the renders. Havent been through the board slides yet but I really like the overview and vision. Just build it already!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 6:20 PM
ON3P Skis

Just glanced through these quickly, but it does look pretty phucking phenomenal. Maybe not so much for accessibility for the Oakridge Commons rooftop, but still pretty awesome. When I have a chance to look through this in more detail I'll add more comments.

edit: And that other anchor makes sense to be a Nordstroms or Saks, I greatly doubt you'd see Target there. As leftcoaster said, Ivanhoe Cambridge wants this to be high end fashion, and you don't attract that with a Target.

It it extremely disappointing to see this and then look out my window at Park Royal and think what could be. So much potential here but it really is a mess.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 8:17 PM

This is somewhat similar to a development in asia: the Midvalley mall (Kuala Lumpur's suburb).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
taken from LRT
by rizalhakim

Associates: AJM (Akitek Jurancang, Malaysia), KYTA Architects, Singapore

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 8:54 PM

Wow! Sharp looking, unique design! Now only if we could do such things in our downtown. That "centre court" area is awesome and desperately needs to be redone somewhere downtown. The proposal provides great community amenities and creates excellent density around the Canada line Station. Win-win-win

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 9:20 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

I love the renders. Havent been through the board slides yet but I really like the overview and vision. Just build it already!
The real fly in the ointment of this fancy project is that lame brick residential building from the 1980s which sits in the middle of the main plaza on the corner of Cambie and 41st Ave. That lame building doesn't belong anywhere near a grand retail complex like this, much less at its main entrance way. It really brings down the grandness of this project precisely at its most prominent location.

Observe in the first render how the artist cleverly concealed the building with the awning of the Canada Line station exit/entrance.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
This is somewhat similar to a development in asia: the Midvalley mall (Kuala Lumpur's suburb).

In those pictures of the Kuala Lumpur's Midvalley Mall, the complex is bigger, desnser, and surrounded by expressways and ramps >> It's not really translatable to a location like Oakridge.

But (on a different thread) yes, it might might have pertinence elsewhere in the city.
............................................................................................
Back to Oakridge; beautiful, green, and classy. Nice to have such good community services and green space. Especially pleased about their generous percentage of non-market housing. This will be no "golden ghetto" but will be a real community with a normal profile.

It has a nice "airy" feeling to it.
Their use of glass in the public realm looks nice, too.
I think that in years to come, this may be considered exemplary city development throughout Canada, maybe North America.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 9:32 PM

A dream come true if this becomes reality! Hope the City doesn't mess it up. I love the indoor as well as outdoor retail spaces: suitable for both summer and winter. The aerial view almost makes the entire development look like skyscrapers surrounding a green hill: very much in tune with the westcoast green surroundings that the Oakridge mall lacks at the moment.

To the potential NIMBYs: This development is not really in your backyards, so please, back off!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 9:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Take the time and fill out the survey. With the public on board this will get built like shown and not watered down. So if you like it tell the city, and if you can think of a way to further improve it, let them know too, the original feedback impoved the project.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Take the time and fill out the survey. With the public on board this will get built like shown and not watered down. So if you like it tell the city, and if you can think of a way to further improve it, let them know too, the original feedback impoved the project.
Got a link? the one you posted brings you to a page saying you've already filled it out.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 11:26 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Strange, I've edited the post, try here, seems to work on my end.

http://www.talkvancouver.com/oakridgeexpansion

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 11:38 PM

That whole plan looks absolutely fantastic. Other areas could benefit from some innovative thinking such as this!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:

It works now. Thanks jlousa.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 1:35 AM

Quote:

Works now, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:

Done! Really quick and painless. Let's do our best to make the approval process as smooth as possible; so far this project hasn't suffered a watering-down a la Marine Gateway, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Done! Gave them a piece of my mind, and all positive. And thanks!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Works now, thanks.
Did anybody offer suggestions as to how to improve the development? What ideas did you submit?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
Did anybody offer suggestions as to how to improve the development? What ideas did you submit?
I said that there should be effort to extend the streetwall and retail further down 41st and along cambie. Also said that the outdoor areas should be as covered as possible to make sure they're adequately used in rainy weather. I honestly don't know what I would change about the actual mall proposal apart from that.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:20 PM
Bridge Walker!

I could totally see myself living there. Zip downtown in minutes, same to YVR and all of the conveniences of a large multi-anchored shopping mall. That's Vancouver living baby!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:26 PM

looks good - the new plans removed target and replaced it with "anchor" i guess vancouver won't get a target now? that said i could totally see an urban target somewhere in the olympic village area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver