HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:12 PM

Look on the bright side. It could "dub" as 'The Halloween event", and give Eastern Penitentiary a break...
I was going to say, "better than an empty lot", but looks like that's been covered already. what a shame to think an empty lot could look this bad.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:53 PM

As much as I thought and think this building is not the most attractive, it's infill and adds density and really is not terrible. You go to NYC, you see canyons of ugly buildings in some places. It is what it is. If you're truly a big city, you can't micromanage every individual construction project for specific design.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:17 PM

I'm sorry, this is the ugliest building built in University City this century. I can't get past that.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
As much as I thought and think this building is not the most attractive, it's infill and adds density and really is not terrible. You go to NYC, you see canyons of ugly buildings in some places. It is what it is. If you're truly a big city, you can't micromanage every individual construction project for specific design.
I'm sure you know this, but this forum is both for news and updates, and also a place to voice opinions. Most of us would probably love to have a chance to manage in any form all or part of a construction project, but sadly we also know that's not going to happen.

So as I wait around hoping that PMC will call me to show them how to vastly improve their next barely average project, I'll practice by being a critic about what other people are building. Knowing full well the vast distance between what "I" want and what actually gets built. Being a critic is much different from just being negative, although sometimes its both, like when talking about this dog.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Look on the bright side. It could "dub" as 'The Halloween event", and give Eastern Penitentiary a break...
I was going to say, "better than an empty lot", but looks like that's been covered already. what a shame to think an empty lot could look this bad.
You know that I was feeling guilty by putting this project down.
So I returned, and went to the front page of this project and looked at the rendering. Hmm.
The rendering looks great, and then I returned to page 7, where it shows the photo of the pretty much completed project.
Who the heck changed the plan? Was it for cheaper materials? The side where the "prison" windows are, actually look wider, and makes it more ugly.
Then I looked at the façade, oh no.....Just where do I start?

You know, I don't feel so guilty, after all. Still horrible. I'm not a critic, just my honest opinion. Hey, I tried.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:40 AM

From Philly By Drone

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:57 AM

5/28/17

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:13 AM

6/20/2017

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:34 PM

Back to the Seventies.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Back to the Seventies.
Yikes. Does this one look better in person?

This does not seem to be an example of graceful architecture. Perhaps it's an homage to everyone's favorite: 2400 Chestnut?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yikes. Does this one look better in person?

This does not seem to be an example of graceful architecture. Perhaps it's an homage to everyone's favorite: 2400 Chestnut?
Real life doesn't make it look any better. Awful in the extreme.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:52 PM

I don't think it's all that bad. It's not great, but it's a decent infill tower, especailly when I see it from a distance as part of the University City skyline. All this talk about how crappy this tower is seems to be a bit dramatic. It's not the worst new construction in the city or University City. Hell, it's not even the ugliest building on that stretch of 32nd Street - Drexel's North Hall dorm is simply atrocious. Those colors burn my eyes whenever I happen to gaze in that direction. I'm happy to have Vue32. It's not an iconic landmark, but it's not the eyesore it's being made out to be.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:43 AM

Great designs are either loved or hated.

I've read a lot of negative opinions of Vue32 and opinions are never true or false except for the holder of that opinion. So comment is always good either way. I am bias because I ran the construction of this building. I am the gen. superintendent on Vue32. So, the beauty of this building is its different. The geometry is such that the angles of the tower were down to seconds of a odd degree. Corners of the tower touch property lines , not parallel. Design elements of tile, concrete of varied texture and the use of dark and light are all apart of the design. The front black tower monolith facade is a cantilever. A 15' grade change occurs from the corners of Race and Natrona to 32nd and Race. In a few years the garage perforated wall will be all Boston ivy. The steps in ipe wood were intended to be a point for community to come together. It's not a glass cubes as is common, it's unique. The building is rotated to face Philadelphia head on which is rare. To stand on the 17th floor skydeck and look at the city ,only then can you realize the genius of this building. There is no better view of the city then from this skydeck. I am biased since I ran the construction but I think it's accurate.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:17 PM

Hi Tower super! Thanks for joining this forum and the very cool facts about Vue 32. Please feel free to share some photos of the building interior, as well as the view from the skydeck. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:30 PM

I think this building is decent.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:57 PM
PHL

I think the negativity surrounding this project is a big circlejerk. It isn't revolutionary and beautiful, but it looks fine and adds value, it will have amazing views, and beats an empty lot any day of the week. Adds to the skyline very well from Drexel Park.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
i think the negativity surrounding this project is a big circlejerk. It isn't revolutionary and beautiful, but it looks fine and adds value, it will have amazing views, and beats an empty lot any day of the week. Adds to the skyline very well from drexel park.
+1

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:01 PM
PHL

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:16 PM

Back when I had to catch the Media/Elwyn Line to get to the city everyday, I thought this building looked great emerging from the tunnel and heading towards 30th Street Station. This building fits into its neighborhood and the West Philly skyline nicely.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 4:45 PM

7/27/2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive