HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:27 PM

I just took a tour of Astra on Friday to see how the window wall is being installed. We were on the 11th floor, and they said they were up to floor 32. Topping out will be in late August with the concrete and October with the steel.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I just took a tour of Astra on Friday to see how the window wall is being installed. We were on the 11th floor, and they said they were up to floor 32. Topping out will be in late August with the concrete and October with the steel.
I'm starting to think they might actually meet their 2024 completion date.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 10:46 PM

The Twilight Concert Series was fun this year. Here are some photos I took last night at Galivan Center. The venue is kinda lacking(music too quiet, flat grass makes for poor view, and for most attendees the concert was more of a social event cause more people were loudly chatting rather than rocking out or evening listening), but the band Death Cab for Cutie was great, as always.. the singer seems to usually have things to say about Salt Lake to the crowd. He mentioned last night how clean the city is and he loves it’s “gritty underbelly”. Apparently they first played a show here in 2000 and have loved it ever since and one of their newer songs is about times spent here back then.

Last edited by Rileybo; Jun 10, 2023 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 12:05 AM
They all float down here

They should just rebuild that whole plaza into an amphitheater.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 12:23 AM

Pioneer Park was a better venue than Gallivan for Twilight, imo, but I do think the lineup this year is better than in the last few years.

I wasn't able to make it to Death Cab this year (tickets sold out too fast), but I did see them as part of Twilight I think about 8 years ago?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 12:32 AM
They all float down here

I miss U92's Summer Jam.

And X96 Big Ass Show.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 12:59 AM

The Big Ass Show was great. I never loved when it was at Usana though, I’d only attend those shows if I didn’t have to transport myself or if I scored a suite.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 1:28 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
The Big Ass Show was great. I never loved when it was at Usana though, I’d only attend those shows if I didn’t have to transport myself or if I scored a suite.
I think their last one was at Gallivan in 2018.

I really liked it when it was at the fairgrounds.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 2:25 PM

Can someone name this one? Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
1689 S W Temple (name?).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Can someone name this one? Thanks in advance

The project was just called 'West Temple Townhomes.' It will likely get a better final name.

17 townhome units.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
The Twilight Concert Series was fun this year. Here are some photos I took last night at Galivan Center. The venue is kinda lacking(music too quiet, flat grass makes for poor view, and for most attendees the concert was more of a social event cause more people were loudly chatting rather than rocking out or evening listening), but the band Death Cab for Cutie was great, as always.. the singer seems to usually have things to say about Salt Lake to the crowd. He mentioned last night how clean the city is and he loves it’s “gritty underbelly”. Apparently they first played a show here in 2000 and have loved it ever since and one of their newer songs is about times spent here back then.

This was an awesome show and I love how the Astra now towers over the north view of the plaza.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:12 PM

I hadn't seen this proposal before. Can someone tell me if this proposal for the Zephyr Apartments(different than the Zephyr Lofts under construction) is the latest iteration for behind the Rio Grande or just something from the past. It seems to include elements and photos/renderings that are completely new. Perhaps, even something of a beginning that is moving forward for that much talked about area?

https://eccles-wpmedia.s3.us-west-2....The-Zephyr.pdf

Last edited by delts145; Jun 12, 2023 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:35 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
I hadn't seen this proposal before. Can someone tell me if this proposal for the Zephyr Apartments(different than the Zephyr Lofts under construction) is the latest iteration for behind the Rio Grande or just something from the past. It seems to include elements and photos/renderings that are completely new. Perhaps, even something of a beginning that is moving forward for that much talked about area?

https://eccles-wpmedia.s3.us-west-2....The-Zephyr.pdf
This looks to be one of the UREC student proposals for the Depot District from awhile back. Good ideas but I don't think this is a real proposal.

I love the idea of having the permanent market there, especially if the RGP becomes a reality.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:59 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
If you add about 10 stories, it looks to me like Astra will top out about where the crane operator booth currently is. Gonna look awesome.
The bottom of the crane cab is at 426 feet. The final height of Astra will be 449 feet, so the cab is still a bit lower than where it will top out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Hey Schmoe, speaking of AStra I was wondering if the tower crane will be raised again before Astra is topped out???
The crane will have its final jump July 24-27. That's when I'm going to climb it to get the best view in SLC ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Correct. Level 32 concrete was poured today, and construction of Level 33 decking is well underway. The steel could be at full height by late September, though first week of October may be more realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I'm starting to think they might actually meet their 2024 completion date.
From your lips to God's ears.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:46 PM

Great aerial updates on Central 9th progress from Luke Garrott and BSL! Amazing how far Central 9th has come along these past few years.

https://buildingsaltlake.com/in-pict...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:42 AM
Lahaina Strong

Camber progress photos.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 7:54 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post

Paniolo,

Do you know if anything will be built north of the large concrete parking garage with this one?

There's is a large space open on the north side.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Great aerial updates on Central 9th progress from Luke Garrott and BSL! Amazing how far Central 9th has come along these past few years.

https://buildingsaltlake.com/in-pict...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)
Very cool! I love how Central 9th is turning out. If we could ever get UDOT to move the freeway ramp away from West Temple, I would have no complaints about how it's turning out. And the 9th South reconstruction is looking great!

Also cool that they're building an extended stay hotel here, I think that's a cool location, especially as more and more amenities and destinations get added to the area.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 3:06 PM

‘We are ready’ for another Olympics

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/6/...ah-legislature

Quote:
But before that scenario can play out, Bullock said IOC members have to authorize a dual award of the 2030 and 2034 Games, a decision anticipated to be made at their annual meeting in October that’s being held in India. At that same meeting this fall, the IOC is also expected to talk about climate change and the possibility of rotating the Winter Games among a limited group of cities deemed able to provide cold enough conditions for competition.

“There would be a short list of winter hosts that have the Games every ‘X’ number of years so the Games could continually come back to Utah,” Bullock said, adding whether the state would be willing to join that list is yet to be decided.

“Is this something we would want to do? We believe yes,” he said. “But we certainly haven’t had that discussion.”

Last edited by delts145; Jun 22, 2023 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 11:16 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Paniolo,

Do you know if anything will be built north of the large concrete parking garage with this one?

There's is a large space open on the north side.
I don't, sorry for taking so long to respond.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West