HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccali1214 View Post
I know everyone is excited about the airport (which is looking great) so I wanted be multi-modal and introduce this fascinating discussion about a (high-speed) rail between New Orelans & Baton Rouge:

"Discussions around a renewed passenger rail system connecting New Orleans and Baton Rouge have carried on almost since service was terminated in 1974 and have gained momentum especially in recent years. After Hurricane Katrina, it became apparent that New Orleans needed a comprehensive evacuation strategy and that passenger rail would be a logical component. A feasibility study completed in 2014 for an intercity rail system included potential route alignments, station area locations, and funding mechanisms. Rail station master plans have been completed for Baton Rouge, Gonzales, LaPlace, and New Orleans. A poll conducted in 2019 of Louisiana residents living between Baton Rouge and New Orleans shows overwhelming support of an intercity rail system. 85% of respondents indicated that passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is important and 63% indicated that they would be likely to utilize it.

http://www.manningarchitects.com/blo...assenger-rail/
"
We've talked about this a bit in here before, and I for one think it's a great idea. Unfortunately though there's so little political will to make something big like this happen in Louisiana. The previous governor turned down federal funding for this project and nearly killed it at that point, and it's been hobbling along since. Interestingly though several of the areas between both cities have continued to approve stations anyway, and this is on the heels of Baton Rouge and New Orleans groups like GNO Inc teaming up to continue some of the planning and polling work. It seems to me that ground-level work and support are going to be the route to success on this project. We just need to find the economic willpower to fund it.

Some related articles below.
Baton Rouge train station: https://www.brproud.com/news/local-n...way/1249726794
Gonzales: https://www.wafb.com/2018/09/05/gonz...e-new-orleans/
LaPlace: http://www.sjbparish.com/news_details.php?id=2659

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:30 PM

Newly expanded City Park sculpture garden in New Orleans opens to public

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...e5c055cc9.html

Nearly nine years after New Orleans Museum of Art officials first imagined doubling the size of the museum's highly successful sculpture garden in City Park, the 6.5-acre addition will open to the public Wednesday.

The $15 million Sydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden II features 26 pieces of contemporary art, mostly completed within the last decade and a half, situated amid lagoons, a maze of bridges and walkways and native plantings like southern magnolias, star anise and wax myrtle.

The original 5-acre garden was created in 2003 after Sydney Besthoff, the former CEO of the K&B drugstore chain, and his wife donated about 55 sculptures by 20th and 21st century artists to the museum.

...The garden also includes a 5,000-square-foot indoor sculpture pavilion created by architect Lee Ledbetter, which offers exhibition space for indoor sculptures and shows off works in NOMA’s collection curated to complement the outdoor installations.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:47 PM

What is the big massive building they are constructing on Airline Drive by the Rouses?

Also, does anyone have renderings of the self-storage being built on Tulane Ave?

Finally, any updates on the proposed hotel or apartments being built on Tulane catty-corner to 2020 Tulane Ave?

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
What is the big massive building they are constructing on Airline Drive by the Rouses?

Also, does anyone have renderings of the self-storage being built on Tulane Ave?

Finally, any updates on the proposed hotel or apartments being built on Tulane catty-corner to 2020 Tulane Ave?
You guessed it...ANOTHER storage facility!

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:12 PM

Some shots of development around town from https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Odeon

Hard Rock Hotel

2424 Tulane

222 Loyola renovation plans

731 St. Charles

9820 Lake Forest Blvd. shopping center renovation

Loew's Theater update

New airport terminal

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:18 PM

Some good info about one of our local startups, Lucid, in CityBusiness. https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...anies-5-lucid/

Quote:
The data technology company brought in $41.5 million in revenue in 2016, followed by an increase to $51.7 million in 2017. Last year, the company’s revenue jumped to $70.3 million. That’s a three-year growth of 69 percent.

The company employs 152 workers locally and 352 globally.
Three year revenue growth of 69% with 70.3 million in revenue last year. 352 global employees in ten offices across seven countries. 152 of the employees are based here in New Orleans. Over 100 positions currently open for hiring with plans to hire 200 employees globally this year.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:35 PM

Exclusive negotiations surrounding Federal City site redevelopment begin

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...3a4664a73.html

The Algiers Development District board of commissioners said Tuesday it has started talks with two companies about redeveloping 20 acres on its 200-acre Federal City site, the former naval base that has a history of failed efforts with private developers.

The board said it had entered into exclusive negotiations with two property groups — B-T+MSG and the Finch Group — about their proposals to build a mixed-use commercial and housing development, a project that will cost "well over $100 million," according to state Sen. Troy Carter, the board's chairman.

B-T+MSG is a consortium comprising two Shreveport-based builders — Wayne Brown of Brown Builders Inc. and Edward Taylor of Fairfield Property Management — together with Metro Services Group, the New Orleans waste management and redevelopment company run by Jimmie Woods.

...The Finch Group, which started in Boston in the 1980s, impressed board members with its history of developments in Cleveland, where it turned around a notoriously distressed housing project, Longwood Apartments, into a fully rehabilitated residential development called Arbor Park Villas. It also renovated historic buildings there around the University Circle area.

As in Cleveland, Finch has partnered with local construction firms for its Federal City bid.

New Orleans is "a city where we want to develop the same sort of reputation we did in Cleveland," said Blake Bendett, an executive vice president at Finch.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:09 PM

Went to mid-city Rouses to get lunch and noticed a whole bunch of new piles in the ground in that whole block lot directly behind Rouses at corner of Conti and N. Scott. The Crane is still driving piles in.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaghost View Post
Went to mid-city Rouses to get lunch and noticed a whole bunch of new piles in the ground in that whole block lot directly behind Rouses at corner of Conti and N. Scott. The Crane is still driving piles in.
401 N Cortez St Bldg·New Construction · Permit #18-40768-NEWC · Ref Code:7KA0LT
Download (22) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Edwards Nola Midcity Apartments LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
12/13/2018
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of 4 story 142 unit apartment building as per plans.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
401 N Cortez St Bldg·New Construction · Permit #18-40768-NEWC · Ref Code:7KA0LT
Download (22) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Edwards Nola Midcity Apartments LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
12/13/2018
Closed:
No
Description:
New construction of 4 story 142 unit apartment building as per plans.
That explains it. Thank you. It definitely looked like something substantial was going in.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:20 PM

Canal/City Park Development

http://midcitymessenger.com/2019/05/...-navarre-spot/

Unless I’m wrong, this rending shows a third story that I don’t recall from the earlier sketches. I’d be happy if they added more floors!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Unless I’m wrong, this rending shows a third story that I don’t recall from the earlier sketches. I’d be happy if they added more floors!

Def different then the ones i saw but i like it

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:35 AM

All info courtesy of https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

818 Howard redevelopment drone footage.

https://youtu.be/OrYy-cgFHYU

2424 Tulane drone footage.

https://www.facebook.com/ZEPHRYDRONE...62873787151708

730 Julia St. aerial shots

New coworking space called Venture X planning to set up shop here.

https://venturex.com/locations/

Five Below will be taking over the old Shoe Carnival spot that closed at Magnolia Marketplace on S. Claiborne.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

It's definitely an exciting project but in the NPP Report, neighbors are concerned about the "huge" density and "doesn't feel it fits the neighborhood scale." Like it or not, but many in New Orleans hate densification (which is fairly ahistorical).

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
It's definitely an exciting project but in the NPP Report, neighbors are concerned about the "huge" density and "doesn't feel it fits the neighborhood scale." Like it or not, but many in New Orleans hate densification (which is fairly ahistorical).
Definitely looks nice and I hope that's the design they go with.

With limited land available, we've got no where to go, but to densify. Just hope it's tasteful projects like this one. We need all sorts of tax base to fix all sorts of issues and to create more recreational public spaces/parks. People are so silly when they think problems will just go away by themselves .

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:57 PM
-

Quote:
Theres always someone complaining about something ... this location deserves more density to be homest with all the mass transit ist options

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:32 PM

As small as New Orleans is, it's the only place in the south that feels like a city, instead of a sprawl where you're stuck in your car all day. There are certainly plenty of those and they all feel about the same.
Very glad to see new appealing apartment buildings sprucing up around town and can't wait for the new airport to open. Definitely the right move to attract young professionals over here!
On that note, apartments behind Broad Theater are really coming up fast. Broad St. is really changing. If y'all haven't tried Addis NOLA Ethiopian restaurant next to Coffee Science (great coffee) between Banks St. and Tulane Ave., I highly recommend it. They brought an Ethiopian chef from Atlanta with 32 years of experience who's doing some real magic over there.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:35 PM

I think it looks great.

Having driven that intersection (Canal and City Park) every day, several times a day, for many years, I hope the planners have entrances and exits planned because of the high traffic volume.

Ever since the 1970s, that corner was invisible to me. I can't even recall what was there. I was so intent on driving and turning that I completely ignored the buildings.

I hope the objections, which seem pretty lame, don't stop the project.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaghost View Post
As small as New Orleans is, it's the only place in the south that feels like a city, instead of a sprawl where you're stuck in your car all day. There are certainly plenty of those and they all feel about the same.
Very glad to see new appealing apartment buildings sprucing up around town and can't wait for the new airport to open. Definitely the right move to attract young professionals over here!
On that note, apartments behind Broad Theater are really coming up fast. Broad St. is really changing. If y'all haven't tried Addis NOLA Ethiopian restaurant next to Coffee Science (great coffee) between Banks St. and Tulane Ave., I highly recommend it. They brought an Ethiopian chef from Atlanta with 32 years of experience who's doing some real magic over there.
Thanks for the suggestion will have to check out Addis soon. I posted pics of the new LSU dorm if anyone wants to post it here please do because I’m too lazy to do it

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 5:18 AM

2400 St. Charles Condos

LSU Dorm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations