HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:10 AM

Saints, state closing in on long-term lease extension, major Superdome renovation

State and New Orleans Saints officials are working toward an agreement that will keep the team in Louisiana through 2035 and include a transformative $450 million renovation of the Superdome, officials said this week.

https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/05/...enovation.html

Last edited by sguil1; May 2, 2019 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:49 AM

Here are the renderings of 600 N. Broad courtesy of https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Are the theaters going to be associated with the Broad Theater right next door?

Also, some shots of continued progress on 2424 Tulane apartments

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Here are the renderings of 600 N. Broad courtesy of https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Are the theaters going to be associated with the Broad Theater right next door?

]
Maybe.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:06 PM

More great stuff from https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Looks like the Charity redevelopment is coming closer to fruition.

Construction permit has been issued for the Virgin Hotel.

Renovation of the entire 5th floor of 701 Poydras (One Shell Square). Not sure who the new tenant is.

Hurts Donut plans

5101 Canal Blvd. development

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post

Renovation of the entire 5th floor of 701 Poydras (One Shell Square). Not sure who the new tenant is.

5101 Canal Blvd. development
I'd have to imagine it's likely more space for Hancock Whitney. They just announced a plan to acquire Lafayette based Midsouth Bank which is fairly significant. It's probably good news for us as it shifts the foot print of the overall company westward, making it more likely that the official HQ will eventually be moved to New Orleans.

As for 5101 Canal BLVD, it's nice to see more and more developments with commercial on the ground and residential above.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:32 PM

Slightly off topic....

John Georges finally outwaited his opponents (Advance Local) and got them to sell the Times Picayune, bringing local news coverage under a single company.

Nola.com/Times Picayune has been dying for a while, and I had a feeling when they rented that small office space off Fulton they'd be continuing to shrink their local staff till they eventually folded operations.

The Advocate's New Orleans HQ on St Charles, on the other hand, was a bold statement that they were committed to stay here until the end of time.

https://www.nola.com/news/2019/05/ow...-picayune.html

Nola.com will become the unified website eventually, and I imagine a paywall will come after (they recently instituted a paywall on The Advocate's website).

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Slightly off topic....

John Georges finally outwaited his opponents (Advance Local) and got them to sell the Times Picayune, bringing local news coverage under a single company.

Nola.com/Times Picayune has been dying for a while, and I had a feeling when they rented that small office space off Fulton they'd be continuing to shrink their local staff till they eventually folded operations.

The Advocate's New Orleans HQ on St Charles, on the other hand, was a bold statement that they were committed to stay here until the end of time.

https://www.nola.com/news/2019/05/ow...-picayune.html

Nola.com will become the unified website eventually, and I imagine a paywall will come after (they recently instituted a paywall on The Advocate's website).
This is...big. Bringing it back to a locally owned company is nice, though they're still being a little vague about what the final product will be. Are they still producing a New Orleans Advocate and a Times-Picayune, or are they perhaps just still producing their regular Advocate for Baton Rouge and then Times-Picayune for New Orleans? It's a bit tough to tell.

But in my opinion bringing nola.com and the T-P into local ownership will ultimately be a good thing, and all it does is further the narrative that they're staying here until the end of time I think.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
This is...big. Bringing it back to a locally owned company is nice, though they're still being a little vague about what the final product will be. Are they still producing a New Orleans Advocate and a Times-Picayune, or are they perhaps just still producing their regular Advocate for Baton Rouge and then Times-Picayune for New Orleans? It's a bit tough to tell.

But in my opinion bringing nola.com and the T-P into local ownership will ultimately be a good thing, and all it does is further the narrative that they're staying here until the end of time I think.
It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, but I love what they did with The New Orleans Advocate building. Hopefully they keep a strong focus on online reporting with Nola.com. Although the journalism quality was amateur for the most part, Nola.com was on top of several real estate development stories.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out, but I love what they did with The New Orleans Advocate building. Hopefully they keep a strong focus on online reporting with Nola.com. Although the journalism quality was amateur for the most part, Nola.com was on top of several real estate development stories.
NOLA.com seems to use a lot of things i post on tumblr after the fact lol

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
NOLA.com seems to use a lot of things i post on tumblr after the fact lol
I don’t doubt it—in fact I think you mentioned that before. And that’s about the level of “journalism” they’ve been doing the last few years.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:43 PM

See inside new Louisiana Children’s Museum, set to open this summer

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...edeck-overlays

Louisiana Children’s Museum is preparing to open its new campus at City Park.

A news release on Tuesday said the museum is opening in late summer, with a specific date to be announced soon.

Construction began in May 2017 on the facility, now reported to cost $47.5 million, on 8.5 acres at the park. The museum has been located in the Warehouse District for three decades.

The new facility will have a focus on early childhood development for ages eight and under, the news release said. It will feature five interactive exhibits on literacy, health and wellness, environmental education and arts and culture. Some favorite exhibits from the current location have also been re-imagined at City Park.

A literacy center, edible gardens, a floating classroom and parent-teacher resource center will be at the new museum. Dickie Brennan & Co. will operate a 165-seat eatery called Acorn that overlooks the park’s lagoon.

Seattle-based Mithūn designed the project, supported locally by Waggoner & Ball.

Admission rates will be $14, with several areas open to the public without admission, including the eatery, literacy and parent-teacher resource center.

The museum will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and Sunday from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 5:54 AM

Some more shots courtesy of https://djsnola.tumblr.com/

Higgins Hotel and Canopy of Peace

Four Seasons

Sazerac House

Hard Rock Hotel

The Garage

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 10:28 AM

Economic news has been quiet lately, has anyone heard any rumors or have anything to share. Maybe any possible HQ relocations to the city or major tech offices or manufacturing facilities opening up shop?

Last major announcement we had was Accurent (350-400 Jobs) and Dixie brewery.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post
Economic news has been quiet lately, has anyone heard any rumors or have anything to share. Maybe any possible HQ relocations to the city or major tech offices or manufacturing facilities opening up shop?

I drive by Dixie site daily and there is a lot of activity going on. Appears to be moving along nicely

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee32 View Post

Avondale was the last major economic news, though progress appears to be going too slowly... that’s why Alario tried to turn the site’s jurisdiction over to the Port of South Louisiana (as opposed to Port of New Orleans). That’s a pretty significant (but empty) threat by a powerful state politician, and it means he knows which party is stalling progress....

Other than that things have been iffy at best economically. New Orleans needs to make its own luck because we won’t be getting any Fortune 500 HQs... at best more satellite offices of major companies which tend to overestimate total jobs numbers then under deliver when their rosy projections prove too optimistic.

Actually scratch that, we continue to attract industrial/chemical players along the river. These projects are likely bad for the environment (and air quality) but do provide jobs and keep enough industry in the area that people care what happens to us at the corporate/industry player level. These guys tend to carry clout due to their lobbying, so at least the city’s survival gets tied to their billions of $$.

As a side note I was really hoping the new Sazerac HQ would attract more corporate jobs from them, but it appears to be a tourism/museum play. The vast majority of Sazerac’s jobs outside the CEO and his associates will remain out of state and in Kentucky

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:06 PM

As for economic development, I think we are close to reaching a tipping point - crime is trending down, a huge amount of infrastructure work is coming down the pipeline (even moreso if there is a deal with tourism funding in the legislature), and there are plenty of housing and hotel units in progress and planned.

It will be interesting how infrastructure work progresses, because a lot of projects from the FEMA settlement have been delayed for redesign or expansion of scope. One thing I see is that more streets are getting completely rebuilt rather than just patching or resurfacing. If the new schedules hold, we could see an avalanche of about half a billion in street work starting up in the next twelve months.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:21 PM

Starbucks and Aqua S

Whatever happened to the Starbucks and Aqua S that were going into the Beacon in March?

https://www.nola.com/business/2019/0...w-orleans.html

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:07 PM
-

Starbucks filed for a permit and a clothing boutique called Jordan in the space that was supposed to be aqua s

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:34 PM
NOLA Razorback

South Market

One of the main concrete pourers for the Odeon was sitting at the bar I work at the other night and I asked if he knew what they were going to do on the other side of the lot and he said probably another building with apartments like the Odeon because the parking garage for it is designed to be joined to one on the other side for further development in the future.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:45 PM
NOLA Razorback

Ernst & Young to hire 200 for New Orleans expansion

In regards to new jobs this just popped up on Nola.com. Looks like renovated/expanded office in One Shell Square with the additional hiring of 200 employees over the next 3 years!

https://www.nola.com/news/2019/05/er...l_RivoV4djoySY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations