HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 7:29 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

It wouldn't be able to go inside the current track, of course. It needs a dedicated place for itself.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 10:34 PM

97 degrees out at COTA today. So at least we had that going for us. I forgot my hat & had to fork over $30 to COTA for one of their craptastic beauties because my head felt like it might burst into flames if I didn't. Gave it to my kid when I got home though. He loves it, so it's all good.

I'll post some photos later. Hope I can find a couple good ones.

BTW, there's a rather large snag with parking for this race at Haywood's Hill. Contrary to what is noted on COTA's map for V8s, they are not opening lots L & M this weekend. That also means they aren't opening any of the gates on the east side of the track in the morning...and only one or two much closer to T1 a little later on. I had me a nice long walk this morning and afternoon. Any other race, though, this is a great option, as you can just enter right there T10 or T11.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 11:43 PM

It felt every bit of 97 out there today. But there was a bit of a breeze at least. Had a great time out there today, my tickets were in the Turn 1 GS which is an area I hadn't really had a chance to explore before.

It's just such a cool facility, I hope you all get a chance to check it out. The tickets for V8 supercars are going cheap on Craigslist, the traffic and crowds aren't bad... this is a good event to see the facility. It's a festival atmosphere, even if you aren't a race fan you'll enjoy it. Heck, even just watching the planes take off from ABIA (you get a good view of this from Turn 1) is cool.

I noticed that the cost to go to the top of the tower is $20, which is less than the $35 they were asking at F1. Although the food/drink price is very high, it didn't quite hurt as much as I thought. You can get a hot dog for $5 and corn dog for $7. Beer/wine is a minimum of $8. They will let you bring in a sealed water bottle per person, definitely take advantage of that and sneak in some snacks and you will be good... they will let you take in a backpack, but they will search it.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 4:54 AM

Been through only about 1/3 of my pics from today, but I went ahead & posted a gallery:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7614878&type=1

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:17 AM

I haven't finished sorting my Saturday photos, but I did add a bunch more shots to my Friday album:

...and Vance has just posted his Sunday album. Some nice shots there:

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:18 AM

Vance also got some good pics yesterday...

You might enjoy some of these...

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:44 AM

The weekend was declared a success by the tv commentators with a 3 day attendance of 68,800.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 5:14 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
The weekend was declared a success by the tv commentators with a 3 day attendance of 68,800.
There was much more the latter two days than the first, so around 30,000 for the latter two days vs 9,000 for the first.

I've been to "high school" football games in Texas with a higher attendance.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
There was much more the latter two days than the first, so around 30,000 for the latter two days vs 9,000 for the first.

I've been to "high school" football games in Texas with a higher attendance.
There's no way they had 68000, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised they're saying that, yet again. What's interesting, though, is that they yet again came up well short the attendance their ETF payment is based on (87000). So, when's the audit?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:24 PM

New York, Long Beach, Austin, and more. Very interesting Pitpass article re: F1 GP economic models:

http://www.pitpass.com/48975-Grand-P...loses-managers

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

They were advertising this here in Houston, and I'd have to say for the ticket prices that were being advertised, I would rather spend my money elsewhere. If they were in the $20 to $30 range, It might have been feasible to take a weekend trip to visit some friends and have something different to do than Barton Springs Pool, Hippie Hollow etc. The problem with these type of races particularly here in the good ol' USA is that no one knows what the hell an "Australian V8 Supercar" is. People hear 'Nascar' and immediately know what's being talked about because the races are all over the place and they will go to the races because of the familiarity. Not a whole lot of people here know what the significance of these V8's are other than they might be from Australia. The attendance doesn't surprise me, this was no F1 race. The best thing this state and Austin did was put in an amphitheater. Now THAT was an intelligent idea. I've seen some pretty amazing acts sign up to perform there lately and I would certainly make the trek there to see them.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
They were advertising this here in Houston, and I'd have to say for the ticket prices that were being advertised, I would rather spend my money elsewhere. If they were in the $20 to $30 range, It might have been feasible to take a weekend trip to visit some friends and have something different to do than Barton Springs Pool, Hippie Hollow etc. The problem with these type of races particularly here in the good ol' USA is that no one knows what the hell an "Australian V8 Supercar" is. People hear 'Nascar' and immediately know what's being talked about because the races are all over the place and they will go to the races because of the familiarity. Not a whole lot of people here know what the significance of these V8's are other than they might be from Australia. The attendance doesn't surprise me, this was no F1 race. The best thing this state and Austin did was put in an amphitheater. Now THAT was an intelligent idea. I've seen some pretty amazing acts sign up to perform there lately and I would certainly make the trek there to see them.
...and they augmented the ticket price by charging a whopping $30/day to park, so the real cost just to attend is even higher than it is at first glance.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:56 PM

I've been really looking fwd to the ALMS/WEC round in September, but after this weekend, that's looking kinda rough, esp the 6 hour WEC race on Sunday. Temps were around 95 all three days this weekend, and there was little to no shade to be found. The V8SC series is already saying they'd like an earlier date and are looking at ways to reduce heat stress on the drivers here. The avg temps for Sep 20-22 are 2 or 3 degrees higher than the avg for mid-May.

Ugh...

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:19 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post
I've been really looking fwd to the ALMS/WEC round in September, but after this weekend, that's looking kinda rough, esp the 6 hour WEC race on Sunday. Temps were around 95 all three days this weekend, and there was little to no shade to be found. The V8SC series is already saying they'd like an earlier date and are looking at ways to reduce heat stress on the drivers here. The avg temps for Sep 20-22 are 2 or 3 degrees higher than the avg for mid-May.
Ugh...
There's a reason why TMS hosts NASCAR races in April and November, it is too hot to hold them between May and October. The Indy car race hosted in June is ran at night when it is slightly cooler, and much cooler for the fans.

One of the reasons why V8 ran the race when they did in Austin is so their race teams could visit the major races being held in Indianapolis and Charlotte next week.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn1 View Post

Ugh...
Yeah, I will seriously consider that when ALMS/WEC tickets go on sale. I'd love to go but the heat was really uncomfortable out there. Awnings over the T1 and T15 grandstands would certainly help. I had T1 tickets, but I spent a lot of time in GA instead because it was cooler. Others did the same, or just came for a while and left early due to the heat. In the stands, the breeze seems to be blocked and there is no easy way to get to shade.

As for V8 Supercars, if they'd just move it back 1 or 2 weeks they'd probably be fine. Have it at the same time as the Pecan Street festival, that always seems to be the last pleasant weekend before the real heat starts.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:04 PM

John Paul Mitchell whatever his name is patron guy said on tv that they spent a lot of money building the track and so there is a responsibility for people to fill the seats. I had FREE tickets but after paying $30 to park and $10 per beer on Friday I chose to not return to the track due to the prices charged. Those might be national prices at other races. I just don't know. I've never been to another race, but I live in Austin and those aren't Austin prices. They are committing highway robbery by charging those outrageous prices. $15 for a turkey leg?! Get real... It seemed like some of the folks working there were very unhappy about their pay, hours, and prices as well and it shows. To attract a casual fan to go to these smaller events they need to reduce the prices. $90 to park a car in Elroy for a foreign racing league event pushed me away and perhaps that is why crowds continue to be smaller, because they are GOUGING the consumer, or at least the potential consumer. I've been out there twice but even the folks holding PSLs feel like they're being taken advantage of. I can make a case for attending F1 but if they want people to attend events on a regular basis, they need to not rip them off. It's insulting. Watching speed on my tv in the ac drinking a $9 six pack was definitely the right decision. Good luck John Paul... Ill be back once a year to hear the f1 engines roar, maybe.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
John Paul Mitchell whatever his name is patron guy said on tv that they spent a lot of money building the track and so there is a responsibility for people to fill the seats. I had FREE tickets but after paying $30 to park and $10 per beer on Friday I chose to not return to the track due to the prices charged. Those might be national prices at other races. I just don't know. I've never been to another race, but I live in Austin and those aren't Austin prices. They are committing highway robbery by charging those outrageous prices. $15 for a turkey leg?! Get real... It seemed like some of the folks working there were very unhappy about their pay, hours, and prices as well and it shows. To attract a casual fan to go to these smaller events they need to reduce the prices. $90 to park a car in Elroy for a foreign racing league event pushed me away and perhaps that is why crowds continue to be smaller, because they are GOUGING the consumer, or at least the potential consumer. I've been out there twice but even the folks holding PSLs feel like they're being taken advantage of. I can make a case for attending F1 but if they want people to attend events on a regular basis, they need to not rip them off. It's insulting. Watching speed on my tv in the ac drinking a $9 six pack was definitely the right decision. Good luck John Paul... Ill be back once a year to hear the f1 engines roar, maybe.
I hope he wasn't saying it is our responsibility to fill the seats. Maybe I am just reading that wrong. I really want to go, but the price gouging as got to stop. I could get around the food and drink to an extent by eating before I go out and afterwards. But that parking price is insane.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 6:10 PM

I think his wording on the broadcast was that "the onus is on the fans to come out and support the races", not necessarily Austinites per say, and I know turn1 has informed forumers that there is parking at Haywood's hill for less but we didn't know where that was or what and obviously we kind of just followed the cota signs acting as common fans or tourists would. And yeah, if they want people to return, they shouldn't give them a bad taste in their mouth from the second they park there car... Hopefully they find this thread or get some feedback from surveys or something. I mean its not like there is a limited amount of real estate out there. They are just trying to create a monopoly on the parking to gouge you and they will give the tickets away for cheap in order to get you out there so they can empty your wallet at every turn. Downtown where parking is scarce you pay $10. They should take a hint...at the end of the the consumer has a choice. Does anyone know if parking is $30 for a concert as at Austin 360 as well?

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:24 PM

Well, there are ways to do COTA on the (relatively) "cheap". Besides the aforementioned Haywood's hill, I saw plenty of parking for $5-10 outside the track. But if it's hot like for V8 supercars, you wouldn't want the extra walk. Would be fine for the other races, though (maybe not in Sept).

Or, you can do what I did and get your parking pass (or tickets and parking pass) on craigslist. $30/day is the drive-in rate. $60 is face value for 3 days parking (varies on races), so at a CL discount you might be looking at $10-15 per day to park onsite.

You are allowed to take in water. I had 2 bottles of 1 liter of water in my backpack, and you can refill them at water fountains at certain places in COTA (there are not enough of them, and you need to know where they are, but it is possible to refill your own water instead of paying $4). I also saw people with Camelbacks. You can sneak food in as well; just be discreet and wrap some snacks in your towel, they don't search the backpacks that intensely.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 7:27 PM

BTW, we had some dignitaries (sort of) visiting the track for the V8 Supercars:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/n...rom=public_rss

Also, I did learn something... that the word "partner" in Australia doesn't quite mean the same thing as it does here . Like when the announcer on the PA at the V8 race described the race winner as tired from winning 3 out of 4 races that weekend, and said "he probably can't wait to get back home to his partner"... I think some in the crowd were a little surprised.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin