HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:39 PM

Sorry BlackDog204, but it looks like Windsor is indeed larger than both Victoria and Oshawa, as I said it was, and as you said was impossible, back on pages 17 and 18, blah blah blah

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:42 PM

this population growth and seeing cities previously with no growth experiencing it... thank you Justin!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
this population growth and seeing cities previously with no growth experiencing it... thank you Justin!!!
Yay?!!!????

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 22, 2024 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:58 PM
Closed account

Um, cool.

Numbers went up. When one essentially lets unchecked immigration flow, I’d be shocked if somehow a place didn’t grow when the country is growing at 4%+ a year. Syria and South Sudan are jealous we are nipping at their heels, I suppose.

Are things better than they were in 2019?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In an alternate universe, someone like Elon Musk could easily have pursued his entire personal and professional life in Canada.
I doubt it as he also wants fame and adulation not just to be successful. he would never be as famous if he stayed in Canada.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I can see Norfolk County but where is Haldimand on that list? It's gotta be over 50,000 by now.
It doesn't get a CA as it hasn't historically had a large enough population centre.

Caledonia is now over 10,000 (12,000 in the 2021 census) so it should be qualified as a CA in the 2026 census.

The Census Subdivisions estimates do include Haldimand County though - which put it at 54,000:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710015501

Caledonia is exploding right now and if it was it's own municipality would likely be one of the fastest growing in the Country. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2026 census records a doubling of population of the town from 12,000 to about 25,000.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:15 PM

The 20 fastest growing cities between Canada and the US

and in percentage

Last edited by Nite; May 22, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:26 PM

Seems quite feasible that Calgary's CMA population will reach 2M by 2030 even if growth slackens...

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I can see Norfolk County but where is Haldimand on that list? It's gotta be over 50,000 by now.
Haldimand at 54k up 10% from 2018!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Do you guys believe that Canada has one of the highest homelessness rates in the world, three times that of the US?

https://x.com/stats_feed/status/1793284866496225343

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
The 20 fastest growing cities between Canada and the US

If you told any American that eight of the top 20 fastest growing cities in North America were in Canada, they would absolutely not believe it.......

And all of the fastest growing US cities are below the Mason-Dixon Line. Just fucking incredible.......

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If you told any American that eight of the top 20 fastest growing cities in North America were in Canada, they would absolutely not believe it.......

And all of the fastest growing US cities are below the Mason-Dixon Line. Just fucking incredible.......
I was just going to say that it's incredible to think that more people want to move (or at least *are* moving) to Winnipeg, K-W and Ottawa, than to Los Angeles and New York City!

But of course it's all in the natural order of things, isn't it?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:07 PM
the first stamp is free

^ meh. Winnipeg's been one of the fastest growing cities in it's past (110ish years ago). So it's not completely unprecedented.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Do you guys believe that Canada has one of the highest homelessness rates in the world, three times that of the US?

No.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:

No but the with current housing crisis it could be. We could definitely be going in that direction.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:49 PM

One of the most striking figures out of this report is that Alberta was the only province to register both an inter-provincial gain and a net natural population growth. If immigration dropped to zero tomorrow, all of our 5 largest provinces would suffer population decline save Alberta.

This is a good chunk of the reason why we have a massive housing crisis and a healthcare system on the verge of collapse. How can demographers plan for future needs when population growth forecasts are not based upon scientific measure but rather immigration which is a political decision? There was an ability to do so traditionally as the Libs/Cons had generally allotted for population {and immigration rates} roughly equate to 1% a year.........a manageable level.

Of course, then came Trudeau who has thrown this mutual understanding straight out the window leaving Canada woefully unprepared for the massive influx made vastly worse by the fact that the qualifications for getting into the country requires one to just be able to fog a mirror.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
One of the most striking figures out of this report is that Alberta was the only province to register both an inter-provincial gain and a net natural population growth. If immigration dropped to zero tomorrow, all of our 5 largest provinces would suffer population decline save Alberta.

This is a good chunk of the reason why we have a massive housing crisis and a healthcare system on the verge of collapse. How can demographers plan for future needs when population growth forecasts are not based upon scientific measure but rather immigration which is a political decision? There was an ability to do so traditionally as the Libs/Cons had generally allotted for population {and immigration rates} roughly equate to 1% a year.........a manageable level.

Of course, then came Trudeau who has thrown this mutual understanding straight out the window leaving Canada woefully unprepared for the massive influx made vastly worse by the fact that the qualifications for getting into the country requires one to just be able to fog a mirror.
There are push-pull factors, and right now I think that the push factors (people leaving Ontario and BC due to high cost of living) are much stronger than the pull factors. I like Calgary, but people are mostly just moving there to get cheaper housing. Its capacity to absorb all of these newcomers is already being strained. If immigration dropped to zero, the impetus to leave Ontario and BC would probably drop as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

It's certainly possible depending on how it's being measured. If the data for each country is simply provided by each country using its own metrics then it wouldn't surprise me in the least since statscan has a fairly broad range of conditions it classifies as "unhoused". But if it's all being measured using a consistent method then yes it would definitely surprise me. Especially for the difference to be that big. The post just says that it's according to Habitant for Humanity without linking to any specific details so HFH could have either done their own original research or they could have just aggregated the various data.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yay?!!!????
We’ll see next year whether the population of this country mostly chooses to say “thank you Justin” or “fuck you Justin”.

I’ll grant it to Marshsparrow that the jury is still out on whether skyrocketing homelessness, acute housing crisis, great real estate investor enrichment, and plummeting GDP per capita is (as a package) a feature or a bug.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
We’ll see next year whether the population of this country mostly chooses to say “thank you Justin” or “fuck you Justin”.

I’ll grant it to Marshsparrow that the jury is still out on whether skyrocketing homelessness, acute housing crisis, great real estate investor enrichment, and plummeting GDP per capita is (as a package) a feature or a bug.
At this point I'm willing to let the Tories have a shot at the net. Trying something different is the only way to see if it is better than what we currently have now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada