HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Alta's project off Filmore and IN midtown are almost exactly the same and they built in these spots years before any other developer would even consider it.

Alta projects arent Ideal and they are built to be flipped but they are usually the ones that are first to strike into a neighborhood and at the front end of gentrification efforts.

You are right, 7th ave and Grant is not a desirable location, and as Far as I can tell only Alta/wood partners seems to be okay with that move, if they dont build this it will be empty for a decade or more until the Warehouse district is fully gentrified.
The former Alta Central, Alta Camelback, Alta North Central and even Alta Drinkwater in Scottsdale were built with wrapped garages. No surface parking at all in these locations. So not all Alta's are built with surface parking.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...!4d-112.073683

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ve...4d-112.0646987

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...4d-112.0636463

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...4d-111.9265383

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:38 PM

They are not going to change their plan nor build a wrapped garage at this location.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:00 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
They are not going to change their plan nor build a wrapped garage at this location.
I never said they that they would. I was just responding to "that's every Alta project". Many Alta's are actually garage wrapped.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:14 AM

Hopefully they still build Alta Warehouse, that’s so crazy, I hope this doesn’t happen to any other project going up. Sure hope it wasn’t arson. Between this and the Battery, this could be a cheaper option for people. I’m sure it will be. Cheaper that most downtown apartments, there should be some great views of Downtown too!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Hopefully they still build Alta Warehouse, that’s so crazy, I hope this doesn’t happen to any other project going up. Sure hope it wasn’t arson. Between this and the Battery, this could be a cheaper option for people. I’m sure it will be. Cheaper that most downtown apartments, there should be some great views of Downtown too!
Not sure if anyone recalls, but there was a large residential complex that was being built a few years ago on Northern West of 19th Ave that burnt to the ground. They restarted building and finished it. Not sure about the exact particulars in that instance (arson, accident, nature), but I'm sure this will be similar.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:20 PM

Alliance's project in Downtown Gilbert also burned down a few summers ago. It took several months before they were able to start construction again. It was at least close to 6-7 months at least.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:33 PM

Insurance claims like these take quite a bit of time to pay out as well. Mountains of paperwork and documentation. Not to mention the investigations and levels of approvals it has to go through before the developer gets a check and greenlight to proceed again. I am sure wood partners will startup this project again but probably wont be at least until the end of the year. Also, if this is indeed ruled as arson, insurance rates for all developers in the area will get jacked up.. not good all around.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:36 PM
Skyriser

I still maintain that this was a terribly designed project in a sketchy area. It'll have low rents and get sold over and over that might hinder the long term development of the area.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 4:44 PM

I think being the first complex in a weird area led them to the design they chose. No one is going anywhere on foot from those apartments so they basically made a fortress for when you pull your car in. You get home and you feel nice and safe.

Insurance will help them get it handled.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Not sure if anyone recalls, but there was a large residential complex that was being built a few years ago on Northern West of 19th Ave that burnt to the ground. They restarted building and finished it. Not sure about the exact particulars in that instance (arson, accident, nature), but I'm sure this will be similar.
I was there, so of course, I remember

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
I was there, so of course, I remember
That's right, you've mentioned before you're with Phoenix FD. Any updates you can share w/ us regarding arson or not? ha

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:37 PM

The Battery Apts Construction video update

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:40 PM

Legends has stepped their social media game lately!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 9:59 PM

Adams St. closed Saturday and Sunday for installation of the crane for Hyatt Place

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Adams St. closed Saturday and Sunday for installation of the crane for Hyatt Place
Great news!!

Link to the webcam for those who may not have it:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/mortenson/hyattplacephoenix

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 4:42 PM

Arrest made in massive fire investigation in downtown Phoenix

Confirmed to be arson. Don't want to make assumptions here but judging that he was arrested just one block away from the fire, probably a homeless individual? Unfortunate this happened.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...wntown-phoenix

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Don't want to make assumptions here but judging that he was arrested just one block away from the fire, probably a homeless individual?
The two locations are far more than a block away but regardless I would tend to agree. However, based on the arrest location I think it may be equally likely to be a protester. I don't remember seeing many homeless that far north but I do know the area between downtown and the capitol has been high-traffic with protesting. I'm not suggesting that is or isn't the case, I'm just saying there's enough reasons to not rule it out.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Welp, that obviously didn’t happen. Got the notice on Friday for the weekend closure so assumed it would be accurate

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The two locations are far more than a block away but regardless I would tend to agree. However, based on the arrest location I think it may be equally likely to be a protester. I don't remember seeing many homeless that far north but I do know the area between downtown and the capitol has been high-traffic with protesting. I'm not suggesting that is or isn't the case, I'm just saying there's enough reasons to not rule it out.
This is the dude. Must've been on a good one that night...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:47 PM

Idaho developer has eye on downtown Phoenix land for multifamily project

Did we know about this one? I know there some projects proposed for the Eastlake Neighborhood but this one doesn't sound familiar...

Quote:
Boise, Idaho-based Hawkins Cos. is in the midst of rezoning a downtown Phoenix parcel that will pay tribute to Lincoln Ragsdale, a prominent Phoenix civil rights leader and previous owner of the site.

Plans call for building a five-story multifamily property with ground floor retail at the northwest corner of Washington and 12th streets that will be named The Ragsdale.

Hawkins is in escrow to purchase the 2.9-acre parcel as the company works its way through the rezoning process, said Jason Morris, a partner for Withey Morris PLC and zoning attorney for the project. He said he expects escrow to close contingent upon entitlements.

"Lincoln Ragsdale owned this land at one time," Morris said. "His son, Lincoln Ragsdale Jr., also is a prominent African American leader."

Ragsdale Jr. joined a virtual open house for the community and has expressed his support of the project, Morris said. Ragsdale no longer owns the land. It has gone through several owners since he last owned it and currently houses some office buildings and parking.

The $63 million project is right next to a light rail station.

Mark Hawkins, development partner for Hawkins Cos., said he didn't learn about the Ragsdale history of the property until going under contract in January.

"Not knowing much of Lincoln's story, we did some research and were captivated by the integral part he played in the desegregation and civil rights movement in Phoenix," Hawkins said. "It is important to Hawkins Cos. that we honor Lincoln Ragsdale for the profound difference he made in the Valley. Now more than ever, Hawkins Cos. wants to pay tribute to Lincoln Ragdale's lifelong dedication to equality and reform."

Hawkins said he hopes to begin construction in May 2021 and be open by the fourth quarter of 2022. He expects rental rates to range from $1,250 to $2,000.

"We loved that aspect of being at the corner light rail stop and feel like this area is up and coming for new development," he said.

Morris, who has met with neighbors on the project, said it will head to the Center City Village Planning Committee in July.

Hawkins Cos. is a family owned business started by Mark Hawkins' father, Gary Hawkins, who currently serves as owner and CEO.

After growing up in Boise, Mark Hawkins moved to Arizona to attend Arizona State University. After graduation, he moved back to Boise to help in the family business and moved back to Phoenix in 2001 to open a Tempe regional office.

The company has developed nearly 13 million square feet of projects in 27 states, including retail, hospitality, charter schools, multifamily, office and self storage.

In addition to The Ragsdale, the company is developing a 267-unit multifamily property in south Scottsdale called Southdale, Mark Hawkins said.

"This will be our fifth and sixth multifamily projects for the company," he said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ltifamily.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest