HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:55 PM

The upcoming restaurant space at Broadstone, Ste 146, is going to be a restaurant called EVO II. If it's any relation to EVO in Old Town I'm excited about this.

It's a small space, only 2,346 ft so I expect mostly take out.

Edit: Just called EVO and talked to someone named Scott, he confirmed they are opening and it should be around March. So the person who said "country western bar" was either misinformed or making things up unless there's another space under construction as well.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:29 PM
Desert Urbanite

Number of Current Tower Cranes

Hey everyone! I was driving eastbound* (edit) on I-10 just before the tunnel the other day and I am simply amazed by the number of cranes now up in Downtown Phoenix. Can someone give me an update on which cranes are currently up? I’m assuming it’s X Phoenix (2), Akara (1), and Aspire Fillmore (1), am I correct? Is Aspire Fillmore the tower crane closest to the freeway? Thanks!

Last edited by Azndragon837; Nov 12, 2019 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Changing westbound to eastbound

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837 View Post
Hey everyone! I was driving westbound on I-10 just before the tunnel the other day and I am simply amazed by the number of cranes now up in Downtown Phoenix. Can someone give me an update on which cranes are currently up? I’m assuming it’s X Phoenix (2), Akara (1), and Aspire Fillmore (1), am I correct? Is Aspire Fillmore the tower crane closest to the freeway? Thanks!
X Phoenix (2)
Akara (1)
The MCkinly (1 short)
The Wexford (1)
AC Hotel (1)

Coming soon
Filmore (at least 1)
Aspire (1)
Link 2 (1)
ASU Dormitory (1)
Hines (1)
Maybe one of the R^3 developments like 10-0-1? (1)
Broad stone Portland (1)

Still down the road
Central Station (2)
Link 3 (1)
Oneil Printing (1)
3rd and Roosevelt (1)
Palmcroft Tower (1)

Not happening but I still wish it would:
Barrister (1)

Not sure if it will have a crane:
Thunderbird Building (1)
The battery (1)
Alta Rail-yard (1)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:44 PM

Biggus-

Misinformed, maybe. Made up, nay. I was just relaying what was told to me by the crew working inside the unit as stated in my post. There are two separate vacant units on the south east corner of that complex. Perhaps both will soon be occupied. The one with the crew inside it is adjacent to the courtyard area with the fortoul brothers mural, not the actual southeast corner. They were plumbers though so perhaps they were working towards the sprinkler modification in your permit. None of them have suite numbers posted. Who knows.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:14 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Nice! A country bar is missing from the downtown scene, I'm sure it will make more of a difference than another craft beer venue.
Agreed. I'm the last person to be a regular at such a venue but diversity rules. It adds to the fun random things people might do rather than go to more of the same.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 10:13 PM

I wasn't implying you were possibly making it up, I was taking about the person who told you that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:17 AM
Modulator

Trees have been cut down on the Link 2 lot and 2 remaining palm trees outside the sidewalk have been fenced off. Commence phase 2!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:20 AM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
X Phoenix (2)
Akara (1)
The MCkinly (1 short)
The Wexford (1)
AC Hotel (1)

Coming soon
Filmore (at least 1)
Aspire (1)
Link 2 (1)
ASU Dormitory (1)
Hines (1)
Maybe one of the R^3 developments like 10-0-1? (1)
Broad stone Portland (1)

Still down the road
Central Station (2)
Link 3 (1)
Oneil Printing (1)
3rd and Roosevelt (1)
Palmcroft Tower (1)

Not happening but I still wish it would:
Barrister (1)

Not sure if it will have a crane:
Thunderbird Building (1)
The battery (1)
Alta Rail-yard (1)
Thank you very much Obadno! These are awesome times for Downtown Phoenix. As a 35-year Phoenix native, it's refreshing to see DTPHX growing up and maturing.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Trees have been cut down on the Link 2 lot and 2 remaining palm trees outside the sidewalk have been fenced off. Commence phase 2!
!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:41 PM

Some Historic Preservation News

The historic E.S Wakelin Grocery Company Warehouse has stood on the corner of 5th Avenue and Jackson Street for 106 years and is getting demolished. No scheduled date set.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/11/14...oric-building/

Also, the old Souper! Salad! building that was supposed to be integrated into the Metroceter Transit Center is up for sale as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ygZrKH...=14y5y1hbhsoce

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The historic E.S Wakelin Grocery Company Warehouse has stood on the corner of 5th Avenue and Jackson Street for 106 years and is getting demolished. No scheduled date set.

Also, the old Souper! Salad! building that was supposed to be integrated into the Metroceter Transit Center is up for sale as well.

I really hope that Souper Salad is integrated into the transit center. That would be a great re-use of the building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I really hope that Souper Salad is integrated into the transit center. That would be a great re-use of the building.
The latest designs for the transit center have it changed from a north-south alignment to an east-west alignment. With that development, the transit center will no longer extend as far north as the Souper Salad building. I think that's why the property is now for sale.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:

I feel like im the only person that does not place a ton of value in these old warehouses.

I just dont get the appeal and I think they hinder development

If they were big old brick factories that could be turned into lofts or something that would be one story but they are basically just old dilapidated warehouses. with very little aesthetic charm or historical importance other than they happen to be very old.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:45 PM

If you remove everything with historic character eventually all you will have left is a bunch of new stuff. New stuff isn't interesting (for the most part) to me so I like to have a good mix of old and new.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
If you remove everything with historic character eventually all you will have left is a bunch of new stuff. New stuff isn't interesting (for the most part) to me so I like to have a good mix of old and new.
I dont suggest removing everything with historic character just warehouses who's only character is age. There is nothing special about the warehouse district they are industrial buildings and old canaries and they'll only ever been surburban style high ceiling office buildings

OH BUT HEY EXPOSED BRICK!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I feel like im the only person that does not place a ton of value in these old warehouses.

I just dont get the appeal and I think they hinder development

If they were big old brick factories that could be turned into lofts or something that would be one story but they are basically just old dilapidated warehouses. with very little aesthetic charm or historical importance other than they happen to be very old.
Well, I mean you could look at the building just behind it for reference as to what it may possibly become. The Pressroom is pretty awesome. Even the defunct Icehouse is right across the street from this old warehouse.

But this particular one seems to be past its prime. It doesn't even have a roof and has fallen into disrepair cause of it. I would rather it get demo'ed and something cool built in its place than it be converted into the previous plan of a self-storage facility.

The site is a block away from the Union Station so maybe there is some hope. Has Union Station gone on the market yet?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I mean you could look at the building just behind it for reference as to what it may possibly become. The Pressroom is pretty awesome. Even the defunct Icehouse is right across the street from this old warehouse.

But this particular one seems to be past its prime. It doesn't even have a roof and has fallen into disrepair cause of it. I would rather it get demo'ed and something cool built in its place than it be converted into the previous plan of a self-storage facility.

The site is a block away from the Union Station so maybe there is some hope. Has Union Station gone on the market yet?
I hope we hold on to union station, the state is very likely going to build a commuter rail in the next 10-20 years as density increases

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:02 PM

I am not familiar with the building in question but old warehouses make tremendously good creative spaces and can lead to really popular and interesting restaurants/bars.

The Lawrence building, now home to Galvanize and The Larry, is probably the best recent example. 515 E Grant was just an old dilapidated warehouse with no reason for survival. Someone with vision turned it into a really neat place to hang out. If they had built the exact same assortment of businesses, in the exact same floorplan but with new construction, it would not have the same interesting feeling. There would be no weathered concrete flooring to remind you of the decades of events which had happened in the building, there would be no aging on the bricks to let you know that you're not just in another generic office building, and there would be no quirks around the patio to let you know you're standing in an old train loading dock that was once a hub of produce transport. Those things are cool. People like cool - well some people do.

I understand I'm preaching to a bunch of people who nerd out on tall shiny buildings but maintaining an interesting urban fabric is far more important to me than having some shiny new high rise or "throwback" style "loft" apartment building. Then again I'm the guy who spent money removing the stucco and paint from his CMU block home and restoring all of the 1950s stylistic traits, it's clear you and I have very different taste obidno.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with the building in question but old warehouses make tremendously good creative spaces and can lead to really popular and interesting restaurants/bars.

The Lawrence building, now home to Galvanize and The Larry, is probably the best recent example. 515 E Grant was just an old dilapidated warehouse with no reason for survival. Someone with vision turned it into a really neat place to hang out. If they had built the exact same assortment of businesses, in the exact same floorplan but with new construction, it would not have the same interesting feeling. There would be no weathered concrete flooring to remind you of the decades of events which had happened in the building, there would be no aging on the bricks to let you know that you're not just in another generic office building, and there would be no quirks around the patio to let you know you're standing in an old train loading dock that was once a hub of produce transport. Those things are cool. People like cool - well some people do.

I understand I'm preaching to a bunch of people who nerd out on tall shiny buildings but maintaining an interesting urban fabric is far more important to me than having some shiny new high rise or "throwback" style "loft" apartment building. Then again I'm the guy who spent money removing the stucco and paint from his CMU block home and restoring all of the 1950s stylistic traits, it's clear you and I have very different taste obidno.
Did Biggus just describe ME as un-cool

Well this is a new low

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:17 PM
Modulator

Quote:

I like shiny new tall buildings. But I also like historic structures with value. With this said, Phoenix is not the only place with warehouses that have been converted into a cool warehouse district. Many cities have done this with huge success. It's cheaper, it adds character and it keeps history. There is nothing wrong with this. Some of the warehouses may not be saved due to disrepair to the point that it's not worth the costs. Some are worth it and should be saved and re-used. I welcome a warehouse district here.

A good example of this is the 2nd Street Market from from my hometown. It's a huge success and is always busy: https://www.google.com/maps/place/2n...2!4d-84.180847

These are the type of warehouse re-use Phoenix could use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest