HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 3:47 PM

Looking at the photo of the Convexity. Using my imagination, since I'll never see it, it looks like we're looking at a very upscale apartment. The ceilings are extra-high. At the south side is a two-story section. Imagine a two-story living room with floor to ceiling windows and a fantastic view of almost the whole valley. At night the view would be breathtaking. One of the perks of being rich in Salt Lake. It's the ideal height. It's low enough that you can actually make out things on the ground, but high enough to be able to see over nearby buildings. It would surely be one of the choicest apartments in the whole city. I could be wrong, and it could be a common area, which lowers the cool factor quite a bit, but still impressive enough. Who knows? It's like something in Manhattan. All these cool apartments show how far Salt Lake has come in the past few years. It could be just my imagination running wild, but it's fun to dream.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 6:25 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
The ceilings are extra-high. At the south side is a two-story section.
I think what you're seeing is the 12th level pool/amenity deck.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 10:11 PM

Citizen West Phases 2 & 3

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 509 W 300 N

Architect: Architecture Belgique Inc.

Basics: 1 building. 7 floors. 80 residential units, 100% affordable from 25% Area Median Income (AMI) to 50% AMI. 2,651 sq ft ground-floor commercial/retail space.

Project Description (from Developer): Citizens West phases 2 & 3, which comprise of a single building, are located in the center of what is rapidly becoming an unreachable housing destination for many of the city’s residents. This project provides high quality, family housing and neighborhood-activating ground-floor retail. These new uses replace a non-conforming warehouse and parking lot, and are crucial to preserving affordability and enhancing vibrancy in west downtown and the surrounding Guadalupe neighborhood.

Citizens West phases 2 & 3 have been awarded low-income housing tax credits. The project will add a total of 80 apartments, 100% of which will be affordable, from 25% Area Median Income (AMI) to 50% AMI through the low-income housing tax credit. The project has also received funding from Utah State and the Salt Lake City RDA. The project will contain nearly half large family sized units, consisting of 10 4-bedroom apartments, 25 3-bedroom apartments, and 45 studio apartments. Ten of these units will be set aside for residents experiencing homelessness, and eight will be set aside to provide housing for refugees. Fifteen apartments will be built as type-A ADA units (more than 15% of the total dwelling units) with all others being built as adaptable units.

The use for the entire property prior to construction is industrial with light manufacturing, storage, and parking. Citizens West phases 2 & 3 will make use of this vital piece of downtown land by optimizing density (133 du/acre), providing outdoor amenity space including two outdoor patios with amenities for families, children, gathering and green space.

The project reduces the amount of parking substantially from what would normally be seen in a project of this size, especially when considering the number of large units. The parking ratio is less than 1 stall per unit.

The project draws from the surrounding traditional and industrial brick and metal structures and uses similar modernized materials, forms, and architectural styles to create a cohesive site. The building is designed to be viewed from 360 degrees and 100% of the street facing façade is clad in durable, high-quality materials. All of the parking structure is wrapped with high quality, durable materials or habitable space with a depth of at least 25 feet on the street facing façade. The building also responds to architectural elements introduced by Citizens West phase one. Each building is designed and built to complement the other buildings on the property and the surrounding neighborhood. Citizens West phases 2 & 3 features the same design team, architect, and engineers to retain continuity in aesthetics, architectural style, building forms, building materials, and building relationship that has been involved in several mixed-use affordable housing projects within a 1/3-mile radius.

The project includes a good-sized retail space that is intended for a food or dining use with space for outdoor seating which would activate the street and bring much-needed eating options to the Guadalupe neighborhood. The project is financed such that this could be low-cost space for a start-up entrepreneur and fostering space for local business.

The existing buildings and original uses on the property are incompatible with the goals of the TSA development guidelines and non-conforming to the zoning ordinance. The project will provide uses that are both conforming to the zone and compatible with the vision for a lively and affordable transit-oriented area. The project is located within 1500 feet (walking path distance) of the Guadalupe North Temple Transit Station. A large, secure bicycle storage room will also provide residents dedicated space for their bikes and help encourage alternative transportation use. Furthermore, at least 3 level 2 EV chargers will be provided in the parking garage.

The newly constructed building will be all-electric and built to Enterprise Green Certificate standards, a sustainability framework that focuses on “green building” techniques. EGC is a third-party certification program that requires Energy Star certification along with additional requirements to create a greener community than that required by Energy Star. It is equivalent or better than many LEED programs. An overarching thesis and goal for the developer is to stop adding more buildings to the valley that continue to grow our air pollution. All refrigerators, washers, and dishwashers are Energy Star certified. All lighting is high-efficiency LED with high lumen-to-watt ratios. All plumbing fixtures are low-flow. All landscaping is low-water use and either native to the area or a non-invasive adaptive species. Irrigation is designed to be low-water and utilizes weather-based controls to avoid watering when unnecessary. A minimum of 50% of all construction waste is either recycled or otherwise diverted from the landfill. Electric vehicle charging is provided in excess of city requirements for this project.

Elevations:

Floor plans:

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 1:23 PM

^^^
Great looking project. Love the scale, engagement, and design for that location. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing more of this type of design in the downtown area on streets like 400 South, 3 and 400 W., 700 East, etc. Maybe even a few stories taller on streets like 4th S.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:02 AM
Lahaina Strong

A few photos

Chicago Street Townhomes, directly east of Madsen Park

I believe this project is called "Altitude" 27 North 800 West.

Alta Stone

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
South Salt Lake Update - Groundbreaking of 'One Burton'.

(Architectural Nexus) Rendering of One Burton, a mixed-use development that is kick-starting South Salt Lake's plans to create a downtown district.
White facade next to a freeway. Smart.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:13 PM

Nice pics Paniolo Man. What did you use as your camera?

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:16 PM

High Rise update Saturday 5.6.23

I thought I would add a few pics of the two larger high rises. Also, I don't think anyone has covered the Millcreek Commons building.

Taken by myself 5.6.2023

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tchild2; May 8, 2023 at 4:24 PM. Reason: pics not showing

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:43 PM

Nice pictures tchild2! I like the unique angles of Astra.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 10:07 PM
They all float down here

The Millcreek City hall is going to be ugly and it's in such a weird place. Literally skirts the border of Salt Lake. You'd think they would want to put it more in the heart of their city and not right next to their bigger neighbor. It only reinforces how pointless of a town it is.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The Millcreek City hall is going to be ugly and it's in such a weird place. Literally skirts the border of Salt Lake. You'd think they would want to put it more in the heart of their city and not right next to their bigger neighbor. It only reinforces how pointless of a town it is.
Sure... plop it in the middle of a quiet neighborhood with single family homes and far away from the busiest and most accessible area of commercial and residential density in their city. That makes a lot of sense.

The borders of a city usually have nothing to do with where the "heart" of the city lies. Many downtowns are pushed against a border with the rest of the city boundaries fanned out in the opposite direction.

Last edited by freeshavocado; May 8, 2023 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 12:29 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
The Millcreek City hall is going to be ugly and it's in such a weird place.
I agree. Very poor placing. It leaves a bunch of vacant space surrounding the building likely to be parking lots.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:25 AM

Quote:
You know, looking at that backside, I agree with you. The building seems like a lumbering albatros.

However, the commons building is placed in what is the heart of Millcreek. This is the densest commercial district of the area. Highland drive passes through with Harmons on the other side. The whole area has restuarants, coffee shops and all sorts of small local businesses. In fact, on the commons themselves, there is a huge skating / ice skating rink with a beer hall bar on the far end. I went there on Sat. and the place is alive with people and activity.

Millcreek is an old bedroom community of Salt Lake City and it is trying to remake itself. When I ponder all of the options a city has in creating a central hub, a community center for people to gather and have fun seems fairly high on the list.

Last edited by tchild2; May 9, 2023 at 3:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:27 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
Sure... plop it in the middle of a quiet neighborhood with single family homes and far away from the busiest and most accessible area of commercial and residential density in their city. That makes a lot of sense.

The borders of a city usually have nothing to do with where the "heart" of the city lies. Many downtowns are pushed against a border with the rest of the city boundaries fanned out in the opposite direction.
You're making my point for me. The area is indistinguishable from Salt Lake and this development only bolsters the idea that the city shouldn't exist.

They plopped their city hall literally across the street from Salt Lake. It's illogical. You should take the time to actually review the borders of Millcreek and how insanely dumb it looks. I'm sure if you do, you'll see my point.

Here. Let me show you the lunacy:

The pink-ish area is their downtown.

Blocked by Salt Lake (Brickyard) to the West and Salt Lake to the North.

There's no identity now for the city. Just poor planning and now makes it fairly indistinguishable from Salt Lake.

That doesn't even get into the bottleneck that is likely to be created by this poor planning.

A more natural downtown would have been east of all this - up by the belt route - not this small area that they're trying to build this non-organic downtown on.

This would have been the perfect spot for their downtown:

Literally right next to the freeway, so an area that is easily connected, and deep enough into the community that it stands out on its own.

Totally wasted opportunity.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:23 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Nice pics Paniolo Man. What did you use as your camera?
Thanks!

Honestly, I just use my Pixel 4a(5g) for all my photos. A combination of the regular and wide angle cameras. I've been a regular contributor to Google maps for the greater part of a decade and have close to 8k photos there so I really ought to consider cashing out on some real camera equipment but it's just so expensive.

I tend to enjoy taking pictures of random buildings and neat infrastructure so I'm not really the photographer stereotype.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 9:47 AM

Millcreek is the only suburban city in Salt Lake County (hell, probably in Utah) that's actually taking the idea of creating a city center seriously, and not only wants to be urban, but seems to actually have some idea of how to do it.

For those who are skeptical, I would highly suggest looking at Millcreek's master plan for their city center. They know what they're doing.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 11:12 AM

Great update tchild2! Appreciate that you updated us on Millcreek Commons. Nice pics of Astra and Worthington.

From an incorporation standpoint, I am still smarting that Millcreek didn't go more the route of Sugar House and become a critical and proud district of Salt Lake City proper. I do agree though Bob that it's a little early to be passing a final judgment on the overall plan. I'm surprised they've actually progressed this far already, and to be sure there are a lot of positive points to their progress. I'm not sure about the location of the new City Hall. It's kind of strange where they're placing it, but I do like the design. Probably, even though Brickyard Commercial/Residential is officially SLC it must have played a critical financial role of dollars backing influence in that placement as far as getting the project investment off the ground without too much delay or financing hangups. It isn't difficult to see the two hubs creating an incredible synergy for each other.

Rendering, Millcreek’s city center master plan covers the area from 3300 South to Elgin Ave (~3010 South), Highland Drive to 1300 East. Running along a diagonal faultline from 3300 South to Miller Avenue (~3125 South), the plan envisages Mill Park, a 200 ft wide public open space. The space takes advantage of increased setbacks required of buildings abutting the fault.

Last edited by delts145; May 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 4:08 PM

Staging work for the crane expansion is happening at the Astra site. I'll be streaming video of the work site today on my youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/@dakben

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
Staging work for the crane expansion is happening at the Astra site. I'll be streaming video of the work site today on my youtube page:
http://www.youtube.com/@dakben
Thank you!

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 10:16 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Millcreek is the only suburban city in Salt Lake County (hell, probably in Utah) that's actually taking the idea of creating a city center seriously, and not only wants to be urban, but seems to actually have some idea of how to do it.

For those who are skeptical, I would highly suggest looking at Millcreek's master plan for their city center. They know what they're doing.
lol trust me, I know. I literally live like two blocks from the city line where Millcreek has decided to build its non-organic downtown. Their masterplan isn't anything special and they're extremely limited on land because, as I already pointed out, it's sandwiched right between Salt Lake's borders. It was an act of hubris because initially Millcreek wanted to annex the area north of it up to 2700 South, which is all Salt Lake, as well as annex Brickyard into their city limits. Thankfully, I don't think that is going to happen. So, now they're stuck with a very tiny area to develop their downtown (in an already busy part of the city).

Basically, they're trying to build their new city center in an area that is about the size of the Salt Palace.

Just questionable planning on their part.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West