HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 7:38 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 6:34 AM

If only we had someone as bullish as Huizar, without the corruption.

unpopular opinion, here's hoping the 3-tower angular proposal gets traction.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 4:19 PM

If they can get 333 S Figueroa rise from the dead, that’d be great.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 3:19 AM

Not strictly development related, but really liked this photo of 1942 Broadway

https://x.com/laplphotos/status/1834343741060002246

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Not strictly development related, but really liked this photo of 1942 Broadway

https://x.com/laplphotos/status/1834343741060002246
I think in another 10 years we can get back to a version of this. When the D line is done, more development and parks completed. Quality of life will be better and skid row will be manageable (hopefully)...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 6:43 PM

^ I hope you're right. Even though downtown LA isn't the epicenter of our city like it is in most cities due to our multi-nodal nature, having a vibrant DTLA makes LA a better experience overall. No other part of LA comes close to the feel of DTLA.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
I think in another 10 years we can get back to a version of this. When the D line is done, more development and parks completed. Quality of life will be better and skid row will be manageable (hopefully)...
Yea, agreed. The D Line is going to open up so much opportunity. I was just in Miracle Mile and that stretch just seems poised to boom like crazy. Anything connected to the D Line is gonna benefit in a huge way.

Parts of Wilshire on Koreatown need help (closer to Vermont) but its gonna come. Right now the D kinda sucks cause its not really connecting job centers or tourism.
Stopping at Western and Normandie is ok, but it doesn't do much for the city until the other segments are completed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, agreed. The D Line is going to open up so much opportunity. I was just in Miracle Mile and that stretch just seems poised to boom like crazy. Anything connected to the D Line is gonna benefit in a huge way.

Parts of Wilshire on Koreatown need help (closer to Vermont) but its gonna come. Right now the D kinda sucks cause its not really connecting job centers or tourism.
Stopping at Western and Normandie is ok, but it doesn't do much for the city until the other segments are completed.
I don't think we're prepared for how transformational being able to go from Westwood to DTLA in 25 minutes is for LA. Already it's exciting to see the likes of UCLA understanding the value in that.

It's going to fundamentally change how many people think of and experience the city.

Along those lines, it would be cool to think about all the major museums along the D line planning some sort of coordinated art event around the opening. The D line will be convenient to the Hammer, the Annenberg space for Photography, LACMA, the Academy Museum, the Page Museum, the Petersen, Craft Contemporary, the Marciano Foundation (ok a big walk), the Broad, MOCA, MOCA Geffen... insane! Can't wait to see the impact it makes.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusBy View Post
I don't think we're prepared for how transformational being able to go from Westwood to DTLA in 25 minutes is for LA. Already it's exciting to see the likes of UCLA understanding the value in that.

It's going to fundamentally change how many people think of and experience the city.

Along those lines, it would be cool to think about all the major museums along the D line planning some sort of coordinated art event around the opening. The D line will be convenient to the Hammer, the Annenberg space for Photography, LACMA, the Academy Museum, the Page Museum, the Petersen, Craft Contemporary, the Marciano Foundation (ok a big walk), the Broad, MOCA, MOCA Geffen... insane! Can't wait to see the impact it makes.
You make some sound points!!! In a lot of aspects...this is a game changer. It would be great if you could get from DTLA to Santa Monice in 25 mins via The Metro.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 4:38 AM

Quote:

Not to mention, its an easy trek to the Grove, and the Beverly Center for retail, plus Century City and Rodeo. It will likely transform Westwood Village retail in a massive way too.
And it also brings people somewhat closer to the Santa Monica Blvd and the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, although its not as convient. Still, it will help those areas too.

Yea, I mean imagine all the UCLA students alone going into Koreatown, Century City, Little Tokyo in 30 minutes. Its really crazy. I dont think people outside of LA really undertand how the city is going to change.
Wilshire is likely going to become a long corridor of 30-50 story buildings.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Not to mention, its an easy trek to the Grove, and the Beverly Center for retail, plus Century City and Rodeo. It will likely transform Westwood Village retail in a massive way too.
And it also brings people somewhat closer to the Santa Monica Blvd and the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, although its not as convient. Still, it will help those areas too.

Yea, I mean imagine all the UCLA students alone going into Koreatown, Century City, Little Tokyo in 30 minutes. Its really crazy. I dont think people outside of LA really undertand how the city is going to change.
Wilshire is likely going to become a long corridor of 30-50 story buildings.
Since we really aren't getting many more subway lines, Wilshire could turn into a version of the Line/Neom in Saudi Arabia.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 9:19 AM
Paramoderator

Downtown will never be the epicenter of our city. It's much better to focus on making downtown a lively, self contained neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 6:58 PM

I feel it will eventually. Especially as we see plans come online for residential developments nears the arts district and along the river. As it fills in, Downtown can definitely become the epicenter of the city/region. All depends on how its done. As transit is centered down there, IF we can take a few blocks to turn into a park, if we get rid of Skid Row, if the city has the balls to close off Broadway to cars and turn it into a promenade lined with stores and a touristy Trolly car, Downtown has all the factors at its disposal to be the epicenter.

Quote:

A friend of mine just moved to Korea Town, the amount of Contruction happening over there for sure isn't completely being covered on the Metro forum, but that being said i have to agree. He's south of Wilshire, along Vermont. South of Wilshire at the Vermont station needs some help, But, north of Wilshire, its gotten pretty cleaned up and looks solid, didn't realize it was that dense with apartments.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Downtown will never be the epicenter of our city. It's much better to focus on making downtown a lively, self contained neighborhood.
Agreed. We should keep adding high-density housing downtown and ensure the area offers everything residents (and visitors, and workers) want and need. The region has a severe housing shortage, so people will snap up whatever new units get built.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I feel it will eventually. Especially as we see plans come online for residential developments nears the arts district and along the river. As it fills in, Downtown can definitely become the epicenter of the city/region. All depends on how its done. As transit is centered down there, IF we can take a few blocks to turn into a park, if we get rid of Skid Row, if the city has the balls to close off Broadway to cars and turn it into a promenade lined with stores and a touristy Trolly car, Downtown has all the factors at its disposal to be the epicenter.

A friend of mine just moved to Korea Town, the amount of Contruction happening over there for sure isn't completely being covered on the Metro forum, but that being said i have to agree. He's south of Wilshire, along Vermont. South of Wilshire at the Vermont station needs some help, But, north of Wilshire, its gotten pretty cleaned up and looks solid, didn't realize it was that dense with apartments.
I think urbanizeLA does a great job of covering Koreatown, although they cant do regular updates for all the changes there. Yea, its...alot.

I was speaking more to the dirty sidewalks/vacant retail on southside of Wilshire east of Vermont. It seems worse than usual. I dont know. This bullshit section-

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0617...oASAFQAw%3D%3D

Around Alexandria, it looks better.
Wilshire/Vermont needs a shot in the arm for whatever reason. The housing is there, the retail/sidewalks are fucked.

Miracle Mile looks a gazillion times cleaner and healthier with storefronts.

Last edited by LA21st; Sep 14, 2024 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 11:35 PM

Do any of our council members have plans to landscape anything? Are they all incredibly lazy? I dont get it.

Wilshire/Vermont at least, should be looked at as more welcoming/or something. Its an important intersection.

Why are the sidewalks so narrow there? Does anyone not notice these things?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I think urbanizeLA does a great job of covering Koreatown, although they cant do regular updates for all the changes there. Yea, its...alot.

I was speaking more to the dirty sidewalks/vacant retail on southside of Wilshire east of Vermont. It seems worse than usual. I dont know. This bullshit section-

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0617...oASAFQAw%3D%3D

Around Alexandria, it looks better.
Wilshire/Vermont needs a shot in the arm for whatever reason. The housing is there, the retail/sidewalks are fucked.

Miracle Mile looks a gazillion times cleaner and healthier with storefronts.
Also doesn't help that one of the corners is vacant. Pray to god they don't end building that one story CVS. What a waste that would be.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 4:58 PM

Yeah I agree about downtown never being the epicenter, and I also think it doesn't need to be. LA has been at times called the first multi-nodal city after all.

Also agree that the best thing for downtown would be to fill it with as much housing as possible, while focusing on making it the best most livable version of itself with a focus on parks, pedestrian and bike infrastructure, cleanliness, safety, and a lively street life.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Do any of our council members have plans to landscape anything? Are they all incredibly lazy? I dont get it.

Wilshire/Vermont at least, should be looked at as more welcoming/or something. Its an important intersection.

Why are the sidewalks so narrow there? Does anyone not notice these things?
It's almost like all the leadership in this city is still just car-brained, suburban minded people who drive everywhere from their single family homes. Meanwhile anything related to beautification is equal to 'gentrification'.

The city council needs to be expanded so places like downtown can have better representation.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
It's almost like all the leadership in this city is still just car-brained, suburban minded people who drive everywhere from their single family homes. Meanwhile anything related to beautification is equal to 'gentrification'.

The city council needs to be expanded so places like downtown can have better representation.
Yea, I agree. They'd rather things stay ugly in some areas because they think it helps their voters. Or something. I really dont know. But those people need to be voted out asap.
Especially Euninesses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations