HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 12:15 AM

Cons: shorter than hoped

Pros: everything else

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:18 AM

With the Jazz practice facility included in this development, this would be a likely place for players to live as well. I really hope the complete development happens and the Richie Group can pull it off!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:29 AM

Interesting pictures! The Jazz putting their practice facility in the West Quarter is a cool idea and makes a lot of sense. I'm a bit over square crowns so my only wish is they would design a crown with some more interesting angles for the office tower. Speaking of the office tower it looks to have approximately the same floor count as the Wells Fargo building so it could easily be 400+ feet as currently rendered.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:21 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Expansion team betting odds:

City Odds Implied Probability
Nashville +150 46.5%
Charlotte +300 25.0%
Salt Lake City +350 22.2%
Portland +375 21.1%
Las Vegas +500 16.7%
Montreal +800 11.1%
San Antonio +1000 9.1%
Austin +1200 7.7%
The Field +1000 9.1%

This seems good. Charlotte and Nashville will battle for the spot in the east, so SLC should be the odds favorite on the west
Looks like Vegas is about to fall off this board. Expected to announce stadium deal with the A's.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:29 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Looks like Vegas is about to fall off this board. Expected to announce stadium deal with the A's.
Yeah. I think that all but kills Salt Lake's hopes of getting a team for the foreseeable future. I don't think the MLB is going to want two teams within that close of proximity. But who knows? I didn't think Salt Lake stood much of a chance a month ago and they surprised me with the proposal.

Salt Lake has to hope the Rays relocate to Nashville instead of building a stadium so that there's still two additional markets the MLB might look into. But if the Rays stay in Tampa, I've got to think Charlotte and Nashville or even Portland are the ones to get 'em to 32.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Yeah. I think that all but kills Salt Lake's hopes of getting a team for the foreseeable future. I don't think the MLB is going to want two teams within that close of proximity. But who knows? I didn't think Salt Lake stood much of a chance a month ago and they surprised me with the proposal.

Salt Lake has to hope the Rays relocate to Nashville instead of building a stadium so that there's still two additional markets the MLB might look into. But if the Rays stay in Tampa, I've got to think Charlotte and Nashville or even Portland are the ones to get 'em to 32.

I disagree all the news I've read has basically assumed the As to Vegas the whole time. Our shot is expansion where Gail Miller has already stated the MLB will add one eastern team and one western team. That means we aren't competing against Charlotte or Nashville, we are competing against Portland. All early signs seem to have us in the lead there.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:25 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I disagree all the news I've read has basically assumed the As to Vegas the whole time. Our shot is expansion where Gail Miller has already stated the MLB will add one eastern team and one western team. That means we aren't competing against Charlotte or Nashville, we are competing against Portland. All early signs seem to have us in the lead there.
Your point is why I'm not as optimistic. If they're doing one western team and one eastern, I'm not sure the MLB is okay with the idea of two teams in such close proximity and with so little population.

The combined CSA population of SLC and Vegas is about 5 million.

The combined CSA of Portland and Seattle is over 8 million. That's a huge difference and makes the NW a much more attractive option than the Salt Lake-Vegas region.

I think the idea of Salt Lake getting a MLB team was that they'd make a play for the A's or the the A's would be able to come to an agreement for an Oakland stadium.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:41 AM

I always assumed the A's were going to Vegas. I don't think this changes anything. Seattle already has a team and those two cities are closer together than Salt Lake and Vegas. I think their markets would cannibalize each other more than SLC and Vegas.

Take this with a grain of salt, but here is a map of MLB fans from 2015:

Image source:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...lhz2f9bupblwvk

According to this map, Portlanders are Mariners fans Salt Lakers are fans of east coast teams. If the MLB gave SLC a team the Rockies wouldn't loose much and I don't a future Vegas team would either.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:49 AM
They all float down here

As I outlined above, Portland/Seattle is a much more populated region than Salt Lake/Vegas. In terms of regional tilt, Portland does make the most sense with Vegas locked in - as you have three of the largest Mountain/Southwest cities now (Phoenix, Denver and Vegas) while giving the NW another team. It just seems the SW will be heavily imbalanced, especially compared to the population, if SLC gets a team.

One thing that could upend Portland is if they don't have a serious ownership group, something Salt Lake has currently.

But we'll see. The good news is that this should expedite the process a bit since the league wasn't expanding until the A's and Rays got their stadium thing figured out.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:57 AM
Space Magi

Other than Portland's population advantage, I think SLC has a better package on the table right now: strong economic growth, young population, urban ballpark site locked down, well-funded and experienced ownership group, broad support from elected officials, Smith's Ballpark available to aid transition, etc.

If it's true that they want one expansion team in the east and one in the west, I think we have a shot.

Also, I saw a post on LinkedIn by an architect from Populous saying that the stadium in the renderings is a mass timber design. Pretty cool. Hopefully we see some more details and better renderings soon.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 11:37 AM

I think it was always assumed that Vegas was getting the As. I think this is the domino SLC needs. Too close in proximity? Comoe on.

PDX and SEA are way closer. SLC chances just went way up with this news. I think it's not a coincidence that Big League Utah announcement was last week. I guarantee they were fully aware of the As plans to move to Vegas

It'll be Vegas, SLC, Nashville and either Tampa or Charlotte

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
These renderings seem to confirm the rumors of the Jazz wanting to move their practice facilities to the West Quarter. This would be amazing for both the city and the Jazz, I'm sure that players would love this kind of urban setting.
At the tour of Le Meridien Ritchie said it was his dream to get the Jazz practice facility there. He said nothing of any commitment. That was a few weeks ago. I don't know if anything has changed since. He also said they were still on track to finish out the block despite the current economic and financial conditions.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 2:30 PM
Verticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takingnames View Post
Few pics I took of Astra yesterday. Love seeing the new window installations high up on the south side.

Thank you Takingnames for the awesome pictures! Regular updates (pictures) of developments actually under construction have become very rare on this particular forum.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:28 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I think it was always assumed that Vegas was getting the As. I think this is the domino SLC needs. Too close in proximity? Comoe on.

PDX and SEA are way closer. SLC chances just went way up with this news. I think it's not a coincidence that Big League Utah announcement was last week. I guarantee they were fully aware of the As plans to move to Vegas

It'll be Vegas, SLC, Nashville and either Tampa or Charlotte
You're ignoring the point about close proximity. It's not an issue if there's a significant population base to pull from. That does not exist currently between Salt Lake and Vegas. There is a pretty large difference between the Portland and Seattle region and the Vegas, Salt Lake region in overall population.

I remain skeptical the MLB is interested in putting another team in a relatively low-population area.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I do think Vegas getting a team this quickly might benefit Portland as they can make a compelling case of overall more interest in their region.

I'll also point out that adding another team to the general region before expansion now leaves two potential clubs opposing expansion into the Salt Lake market: Colorado and Vegas. Both have incentive to not put a team in SLC.

Back when the Expos relocated to Washington, it created a huge conflict with Baltimore that almost undid the move before a revenue sharing agreement was put in place for a regional sports channel.

The fact is, no team in SLC likely means more potential eyeballs for Colorado and Vegas and you're going to have to convince those owners that's not a better option than expansion into the region.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 3:59 PM

Quote:
You're ignoring the point about close proximity. It's not an issue if there's a significant population base to pull from. That does not exist currently between Salt Lake and Vegas. There is a pretty large difference between the Portland and Seattle region and the Vegas, Salt Lake region in overall population.

I remain skeptical the MLB is interested in putting another team in a relatively low-population area.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I do think Vegas getting a team this quickly might benefit Portland as they can make a compelling case of overall more interest in their region.

I'll also point out that adding another team to the general region before expansion now leaves two potential clubs opposing expansion into the Salt Lake market: Colorado and Vegas. Both have incentive to not put a team in SLC.

Back when the Expos relocated to Washington, it created a huge conflict with Baltimore that almost undid the move before a revenue sharing agreement was put in place for a regional sports channel.

The fact is, no team in SLC likely means more potential eyeballs for Colorado and Vegas and you're going to have to convince those owners that's not a better option than expansion into the region.
We'll have to disagree. I'm not ignoring proximity at all. I don't think SLC and vegas are particularly close. SLC market is enough for itself.

Again, Vegas getting the As was seemingly always part of the plan. Big League Utah absolutely knows this

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:52 PM

Steve Starks confirmed on Twitter A’s to Vegas was part of their calculus and is likely a positive for Big League Utah.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:

Tbh comrade, I think you’re the one ignoring some of the details.

The map RC14 posted clearly shows Utahns are already fans of the Yankees & Red Socks primarily, not the Rockies. If Utahns haven’t embraced the Rockies yet, they’re not going to in the future, the same way Utahns don’t really embrace the Broncos. Therefore, the Rockies don’t really have much incentive to oppose the expansion.

The A’s in Vegas are most likely to retain their current fan base in N. California and the Bay Area, plus attract new fans in the Vegas area, Southern California, and perhaps fans in S. Utah like Washington and Iron Counties. I don’t really see N. Utahns embracing the A’s as their team, just as I haven’t seen northern Utahns rallying around the Raiders.

Conversely, putting a team in Portland would instantly halve the Mariners’ fanbase, and would give the Mariners reason to object to an expansion in Portland.

That being said, the 3M+ in the Provo/SL/Ogden region is plenty to support its own team, plus fans from Idaho and Wyoming who don’t really have a “home team” (like Utahns, those regions largely also support east coast teams)

And the last bit I think you’re disregarding is that the announcement specifies that the agreement between Vegas and the A’s was finalized last week. That is surely not a coincidence for the timing of Big League Utah’s announcement, and guaranteed the big players in Salt Lake’s announcement have been privy to the wheeling and dealing being done in those meetings. They knew it was happening. They knew the agreement had been reached and that the formal announcement was forthcoming. They knew that this deal being finalized was the key to making Salt Lake’s bid successful.

Portland widely has been reported as not having their plan sufficiently in place. They don’t have the full backing, they don’t have a solid stadium plan. Just because they’ve been asking for it longer than us doesn’t mean they have the means to make it happen, and they’re being widely reported as a weak candidate.

The powers that be knew what they were doing. The announcement we got about the power district stadium would not have been made if they didn’t have a clear path forward, and Gail Miller is on record saying that it’s not a done deal, but she’s confident it’s going to happen.

We will have a team here within 3 years.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:00 PM

test

Очень хорошая идея tsgbb

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:07 PM

Deleted

Last edited by downtownslcresident; Apr 20, 2023 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
Tbh comrade, I think you’re the one ignoring some of the details.

The map RC14 posted clearly shows Utahns are already fans of the Yankees & Red Socks primarily, not the Rockies. If Utahns haven’t embraced the Rockies yet, they’re not going to in the future, the same way Utahns don’t really embrace the Broncos. Therefore, the Rockies don’t really have much incentive to oppose the expansion.

The A’s in Vegas are most likely to retain their current fan base in N. California and the Bay Area, plus attract new fans in the Vegas area, Southern California, and perhaps fans in S. Utah like Washington and Iron Counties. I don’t really see N. Utahns embracing the A’s as their team, just as I haven’t seen northern Utahns rallying around the Raiders.

Conversely, putting a team in Portland would instantly halve the Mariners’ fanbase, and would give the Mariners reason to object to an expansion in Portland.

That being said, the 3M+ in the Provo/SL/Ogden region is plenty to support its own team, plus fans from Idaho and Wyoming who don’t really have a “home team” (like Utahns, those regions largely also support east coast teams)

And the last bit I think you’re disregarding is that the announcement specifies that the agreement between Vegas and the A’s was finalized last week. That is surely not a coincidence for the timing of Big League Utah’s announcement, and guaranteed the big players in Salt Lake’s announcement have been privy to the wheeling and dealing being done in those meetings. They knew it was happening. They knew the agreement had been reached and that the formal announcement was forthcoming. They knew that this deal being finalized was the key to making Salt Lake’s bid successful.

Portland widely has been reported as not having their plan sufficiently in place. They don’t have the full backing, they don’t have a solid stadium plan. Just because they’ve been asking for it longer than us doesn’t mean they have the means to make it happen, and they’re being widely reported as a weak candidate.

The powers that be knew what they were doing. The announcement we got about the power district stadium would not have been made if they didn’t have a clear path forward, and Gail Miller is on record saying that it’s not a done deal, but she’s confident it’s going to happen.

We will have a team here within 3 years.
Agree on all points. Except timeline. No idea there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West