HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Ahhhh you are right about Little Footprints.

I agree 100% about the kids thing. I would love a pub that I could take our daughter to. I want to go into Fergus & Bix again and see if they let kids in. You would think that OJs would amend their liquor license. It would be quite lucrative.
Was told by the owner of my neighbourhood pub that kids are allowed in until 9:00, then have to leave (and I am not sure if that is only for certain nights). A friend of mine (and part of our group of regulars) brought his 2 week old daughter in and there was no issue.

Having said that, I have only seen the odd baby in there. It isn't a regular occurance, and I don't see families or toddlers in their either.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:14 PM

As a frequent patron of Fergus and Bix I'm happy they don't allow kids. Obviously, that means I don't have any so I'm sure my opinion would change if I had some. I know my buddies with kids get frustrated on the lack of options up on the hill.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
We're just looking for different options on the hill - you get bored with the same "restaurants that sell beer" after a while. Plus, places like O.J.s and Fergus and Bix have some food selections that make you want to go there but you have to leave the kids at the door.
I get what you are saying, but as someone that doesn't have kids, I love being able to go to a place that doesn't allow kids, too many parents just turn a blind eye while their kids run around screaming.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
As a frequent patron of Fergus and Bix I'm happy they don't allow kids. Obviously, that means I don't have any so I'm sure my opinion would change if I had some. I know my buddies with kids get frustrated on the lack of options up on the hill.
Not necessarily. I have one on the way and am quite happy to separate my "out with kids" and "night without kids" options. F&B is opening (opened?) a location in Marda Loop near me and them not allowing kids will ensure my patronage.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 8:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I only wish that when I was a kid we ate out enough that we could even conceive of being "bored" of the restaurant selection. And that in a small town of 6000 people.

Why yes, I'm extremely bitter at how much disposable income the average person has today compared to when I was a kid, why do you ask?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I get what you are saying, but as someone that doesn't have kids, I love being able to go to a place that doesn't allow kids, too many parents just turn a blind eye while their kids run around screaming.
Same here, I'll go as far as eating in the lounge if there is one just to avoid eating along side someone's little bundle of joy.

Nothing worse than parents who let their kids run wild.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Why not just go to a restaurant that sells beer? a pub is a bar and in my opinion (I don't have kids) kids have no place in a pub.
You need to go to Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcanuck View Post
We're just looking for different options on the hill - you get bored with the same "restaurants that sell beer" after a while. Plus, places like O.J.s and Fergus and Bix have some food selections that make you want to go there but you have to leave the kids at the door.
Just talked to my buddy who is the manager and F&B. Kids are allowed in 10-3PM Saturday, Sunday and Holidays

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Just talked to my buddy who is the manager and F&B. Kids are allowed in 10-3PM Saturday, Sunday and Holidays
Just curious: is that advertised anywhere?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it's on the front door of the restaurant and it's also on the front page of their website.

http://fergusandbix.com/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
You need to go to Ireland.

Would f'n love to!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 2:15 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Trust me, as a parent, I don't want to be there with a yappy, loud kid I wouldn't want to be there. I recognize that all parents are not like me. Fortunately, my daughter is super mellow and is content to sit on my lap and much from my plate while I eat.

As pointed above, it's nice to have a meal with a little more selection as far as beer goes. Additionally, it's nice to go somewhere a bit more relaxed and louder than a restaurant. Love my trips to Canmore and the Grizzly Paw.

As far as my Irish comment goes, I jus tlove how the pub is part of the greater community there. Adults of all ages and kids of all ages enjoying the music! A Pint and a bag of curry crisps.....mmmm

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 5:39 PM

If a few pubs allow children during the day, that's fine, I just think most of them should be adults only. Not every place has to cater to families IMO.

Most parents are good about not letting their kids scream or run around like it's a playground, but there are definitely people who are the exception, and they can get combative when you ask them to keep their kids quiet.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 6:17 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Most parents are good about not letting their kids scream or run around like it's a playground, but there are definitely people who are the exception, and they can get combative when you ask them to keep their kids quiet.
Can? CAN???

The easiest way to pick a fight in today's society is to even hint that you might be suggesting the possibility that a chance exists that maybe a parent isn't doing an absolutely perfect job with their children in every single aspect. Do it when you're childless and you might as well have said to a hacidic Jew that Hitler was completely justified in the Holocaust. You'd get a more welcoming reaction.

Hence, adult-only restaurants starting up. Which is a real shame in many respects, because as you say MOST people are good about controlling their kids. But those that aren't... boy howdy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:00 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Question as it relates to me and my kids in restaurants:

Would you rather have a kid screaming in their seat, or walking around the restaurant quietly, with myself following behind?

I've had to do that a few times, just let my kid run around a bit.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 7:54 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I'd rather kids come to restaurants when they're old enough to understand the concept of sitting still. Maybe my parents had an iron fist or something, but from at least 6-7 years old I understood the concept of behaving and sitting quietly. Granted I hated going to nice restaurants as a kid.

Any younger than that and we just didn't go out to eat all that often that I'd remember it. Probably just kept to Perkins/Dennys type places. They're a bit like Wal-Mart - if you DON'T hear a kid crying somewhere, you wonder what's wrong.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 8:12 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

When I was growing up, we didn't have enough money to go out to a restaurant to eat, until I was about 14. The only time we did was either a) going to MacDonalds with my mom when my dad was out of town on business or b) eating at Sizzler when we did road trips to the US. Paying something like $5.99 for a child's (under 16 I think was the rule) all you can eat buffet at Sizzler was a godsend for my parents. Three growing boys eat a lot of food (at 6'2" I am the shortest child in my family, so you can understand how much we were eating) and Sizzler probably lost $20 in food for each of us each time we ate there.

That being said, if we ever acted up when we were in public, it resulted in sitting in the car with one of the parents alone while everyone else ate.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:24 PM

When I was a kid, if I acted out i public I got a good hard smack, sufficient that I wouldn't do it again. You can't do that these days, you would have a bunch of people calling the cops.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid, if I acted out i public I got a good hard smack, sufficient that I wouldn't do it again. You can't do that these days, you would have a bunch of people calling the cops.
I used to get the well placed finger flick to the ear. Hurt like a mofo and was fairly stealthy. I'd rather take a good hard smack.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Blockbuster is done, all stores to close it looks like:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2149222/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 11:59 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Blockbuster is done, all stores to close it looks like:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2149222/
That really is the end of an era. Someday I'll tell the kids about how we used to rent VHS movies and get a blank stare. The sad part is I'll have to explain both "rent" and "VHS" to 'em.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy