HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:40 PM

I hope it is run as well as 200 Carondelet. I have a friend there and he says that mixed income aspect of the property isn't really noticeable. Hopefully this project will be run as well. Downtown is making leaps and bounds. You won't recognize the place in 3-4 years. I hope the city can continue to invest in facilities that increase the "soft" aspects of downtown- quality of life, public spaces and liveability. A new park, landscaping and policies that favor residences could really make downtown special. We could quickly have downtown being one of the most healthy and growing neighborhoods in the city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I can see N.O. being similar to the gentrified and infilled parts of Houston. Particularly the corner between 288, Southwest Freeway, and 610; but much denser and more vibrant. Baton Rouge, on the other hand, is destined to become a mirror image of everything from Beltway 8 and beyond if it continues to grow; Sugar Land II. Maybe the Green Light Program and more development on the northern side of town can change that.
Yes, and thats about it. Have you been to BR lately? Far far from anything outside of the Beltway, at least in my opinion. The suburbs I can understand.
From Mid-city to LSU, how does it remind you of Sugar Land? Maybe Zachary or Baker. With all of the ideas that the city has, it is FAR from any Houston suburb. It's establishing itself as something more than just a pace to watch tiger games and vote.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:42 PM

Hibernia Building

From what I hear the cupola and the first floor where the bank is located will remain in control of Capital One. Apparently the legal workings of figuring it all out were a little complicated which was one of the main reasons the tower has been mostly vacant since 2006 with little progress.

I've heard that they also want to put a pool on the roof which would have to be either on the south wing or north wing....I'm personally hoping they pick the north wing's roof since my office looks right at it from Place St Charles!

To address a complaint from nola.com comments (almost not worth noting most of the time) about how the parking structure would "ruin" the whole block...most of the other buildings on the block are fully occupied with "The Store", a watch repair store, and other offices such as Canal Barge Co. So I doubt they would buy these up and demolish them. The only thing that makes sense in my mind is for them to buy the surface level parking lot directly behind the building and build a garage on it, which in my mind is much better than surface parking.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
From what I hear the cupola and the first floor where the bank is located will remain in control of Capital One. Apparently the legal workings of figuring it all out were a little complicated which was one of the main reasons the tower has been mostly vacant since 2006 with little progress.

I've heard that they also want to put a pool on the roof which would have to be either on the south wing or north wing....I'm personally hoping they pick the north wing's roof since my office looks right at it from Place St Charles!

To address a complaint from nola.com comments (almost not worth noting most of the time) about how the parking structure would "ruin" the whole block...most of the other buildings on the block are fully occupied with "The Store", a watch repair store, and other offices such as Canal Barge Co. So I doubt they would buy these up and demolish them. The only thing that makes sense in my mind is for them to buy the surface level parking lot directly behind the building and build a garage on it, which in my mind is much better than surface parking.

Agreed about the parking garage which by the way they could still put retail in the bottom of. Also in regards to the pool the South wing is more likely since it would have less issues with shadows, but who knows. Also, I think its important to note these mixed income properties should not be confused with section 8 properties. These are generally much better run and the quality of the tenants much better.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Agreed about the parking garage which by the way they could still put retail in the bottom of. Also in regards to the pool the South wing is more likely since it would have less issues with shadows, but who knows. Also, I think its important to note these mixed income properties should not be confused with section 8 properties. These are generally much better run and the quality of the tenants much better.
Agreed on the mixed income property note. This is one of the comments "Well isn't this great - A housing Project in the middle of Downtown New Orleans- that should encourage other developers and business to invest in New Orleans."

Mixed income properties are the furthest thing from something like the old St. Thomas, Iberville, etc...what an idiot, but that's to be expected with most nola.com comments.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Yes, and thats about it. Have you been to BR lately? Far far from anything outside of the Beltway, at least in my opinion. The suburbs I can understand.
From Mid-city to LSU, how does it remind you of Sugar Land? Maybe Zachary or Baker. With all of the ideas that the city has, it is FAR from any Houston suburb. It's establishing itself as something more than just a pace to watch tiger games and vote.
I meant the parts of BR that are seeing the most growth. The south and eastern ends. I guess I should have been more specific.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I meant the parts of BR that are seeing the most growth. The south and eastern ends. I guess I should have been more specific.
I guess I can see the southern part, but which side of the beltway? North is dead, southern/west is alive with the Katy suburb, and east is dead. What exactly is east BR? I typically think of N and S BR.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:00 PM
TL;DR

New Orleans BioInnovation Center
Watch this one... it has the same architects (EDR and NBBJ) as the upcoming hospitals.

West Closure Complex - Pumping Station
This monster is about 8 stories tall and nearly 2 football fields long. The dark opening on the short side of the building is a commercial-sized garage door big enough for trucks.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
A new park, landscaping and policies that favor residences could really make downtown special. We could quickly have downtown being one of the most healthy and growing neighborhoods in the city.
This is easily my biggest gripe about the CBD. It has no good public spaces except for Lafayette Square, and even that could use improvement. "Duncan Plaza" in front of City Hall is beyond weak. We need a good modern park downtown. I can't think of a successful city that doesn't have one. Even Houston now has Discovery Green. But the stuff in a New Orleans should offer a unique experience that's different from the sculpture-and-water-feature thing that everyone else does.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:42 PM

University Medical Center board to meet, talk financing, other plans

The governor board for the state's Charity Hospital successor is scheduled to convene this afternoon at Interim LSU Public Hospital, where board members will discuss the preparation for selling about $400 million in bonds.

The debt is needed to complete the $1.2 billion price tag to open University Medical Center by late 2014 or early 2015. Today's agenda includes hiring an underwriter, mortgage banker and public relations consultant.

The meeting starts at 1 p.m. in Room 101/102 of the hospital's basement. Check nola.com for complete coverage.

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...nter_boar.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
I guess I can see the southern part, but which side of the beltway? North is dead, southern/west is alive with the Katy suburb, and east is dead. What exactly is east BR? I typically think of N and S BR.
The stretch (I-10) from the Essen to a little pass Highland reminds me much younger version of the development between BW 8 and Grand Parkway on the SW of Houston. The stretch from (I-12) Essen to Juban vaguely reminds me of the 290 corridor.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 8:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Agreed on the mixed income property note. This is one of the comments "Well isn't this great - A housing Project in the middle of Downtown New Orleans- that should encourage other developers and business to invest in New Orleans."

Mixed income properties are the furthest thing from something like the old St. Thomas, Iberville, etc...what an idiot, but that's to be expected with most nola.com comments.
Honestly, I suggest to avoid reading NOLA.com comments for your own sanity. There is so much vitriol and misinformed opinions. These developments are not "projects". Also, many of those that qualify for these non market rates apartments are the cities first responders (i.e. teachers, firefighters. police officers, EMS etc)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 10:49 PM

I noticed a SOLD sign on the lot next to the Mission this afternoon. It's zoned L-1. Any ideas?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:33 PM

I try to avoid all nola.com comments...most of the people probably don't even live here or are perpetually negative on any topic.

As for the redevelopment of the Hibernia Bank building...looks like a great project. The CBD is really coming along with all of these announced projects. I also agree that some new type of public space is needed downtown. There is alot of potential for Duncan Plaza to be remade into something special. It's in a great location given proximity to the new street car line and planned residential developments.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:06 AM
-

Quote:
I noticed a SOLD sign on the lot next to the Mission this afternoon. It's zoned L-1. Any ideas?
Apologize if this is thick headed, but where is the Mission?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Apologize if this is thick headed, but where is the Mission?
Dryades/O.C. Haley and Calliope.
This lot here.. Google Maps

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 9:11 AM

Lakeshore Dr. lighthouse

Did they ever finish rebuilding the lighthouse out there on Lakeshore Drive? On that note, there's huge possibilities to rebuild West End. It's practically a clean slate. How about several Miami style high rise condos? Up scale restaurants, clubs, etc?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 4:15 PM
-

No one will be able to do anything over there until the core is done their master plan for flood protection. I hope we can rebuild Coconut Beach somewhere over there as well. I agree that New Orleans lakefront could be much better.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 8:39 PM
TL;DR

The vote on 1031 Canal was deferred until Feb. 3rd....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 8:54 PM

The City Council approved the solar panels in the Quarter today to that gives me hope they'll disregard the opinion of the VCC for the 1031 Canal St. project as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations