HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:22 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Not surprising:
https://www.cjme.com/2022/06/09/coul...cific-stadium/

Quote:
Could Regina be next for a soccer-specific stadium?
Talk of a new arena, baseball stadium and now a soccer stadium.....hope y'all love sports.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Not surprising:
https://www.cjme.com/2022/06/09/coul...cific-stadium/

Talk of a new arena, baseball stadium and now a soccer stadium.....hope y'all love sports.
I would prefer a 10% bump to education, imo.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The problem is, you can’t solve equity issues with quotas. You have to tackle the root causes, make effective social investments, particularly in education, and remove economic barriers, and the Liberals don’t seem to want to go that route. It’s like thinking making cabinet 50% women all of sudden makes a government “feminist” when it is still very difficult for women, especially those who came from poverty, to even get close to positions of power. It really comes down to class politics, and liberal politicians, just like conservative politicians, don’t want to actually address that and will do whatever it takes to maintain the pro-free market, neoliberal status quo.
In a perfect world everyone would be treated equally, come from the same socioeconomic status, have no obstacles, etc. But in reality, quotas and equity are generally good things.

The usual complaints against it are things like "if you eliminate XXX (usually white men) from consideration then you are potentially not looking at the best candidate." While the entire premise of that statement is rooted in systemic privilege, even taking it at face value it breaks down as ridiculous to assume that the "best' (which is arbitrary, and typically decided by those who already come from the power group) is even required.

A good example would be something like:
A company made up of 12 men wants to hire a new designer, and 10 people interview. Of the 10, 8 are more than qualified for the job, but the top 4 are men, and the bottom 4, women.

If you go by the "best," (again, which is usually arbitrary based on how someone interviews, gut feelings, etc) then a man is hired, even if all 8 would have been a good fit. So even if that company states that they wanted to hire a woman, they can claim they were forced to hire a man since the women weren't the top picks. But in the end...the women would have been more than qualified for the job, and by not hiring them it perpetuates the power differential between the genders.
Because the power groups in our society are typically there for multiple reasons (historical inertia, networking, the in-group subconsciously maintaining its membership, lack of money and education for non-power groups, etc), simply saying that we need to provide more "opportunities" for non-power groups doesn't really change anything. In some cases, "forced" equity is one of the few ways to actually make a difference. Then, over time, having those non-traditional power groups in places of power changes how funding is allocated, which role models are praised, the culture of an organization, etc. It's why having a focus on DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) in the hiring process of any organization is essential.

Yes, tackle the roots of this inequality, but also take what immediate action is available.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I actually think things have improved with regards to our educational system promoting Trades as a viable career path. This is something that we have been discussing in the construction industry for 25+ years. At one time, school guidance councilors (largely teachers who had a B.Ed.) taught what they knew - that being that the only path to a good job was through university.

The industry has worked with educators system to get them to see the light. It's been slow but there is progress, no doubt accelerated by the fact that there is more demand and higher pay for Trades workers than there is for non-STEM university graduates. The idea that "if you can't do anything else, you can always go work construction" is becoming something from the past, in my experience. Even though I'm university educated, I'm always supportive of someone considering a career in the trades. As society "advances", those with the skills to physically build or repair will only become more valued. That's my $.02.
What I'm seeing in my kids Regina school is a huge push to university and esp to STEM still. There are trade classes but increasingly barriers to those classes are coming up. Moving some classes to lunch only so students in music at lunch can't take them unless they give up band or choir. A bunch of them are being moved offsite to Campus Regina in the fall, but I don't think they'll return. Part of that is cuts to funding, I'm sure.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
What the f***?

At least you don't perpetuate the stereotype.
Exactly. SMH

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 2:17 PM
I am the law!

Trudeau is a rich, privileged idiot. The world sees it. More and more Canadians see it but, still not enough in the GTA and Quebec to end this embarrassment. Anyways, I know a few higher ups that attended meetings in Toronto in which he explicitly stated companies need to put an absolute freeze on hiring white men as his solution to addressing inequalities in the workplace. He probably doesn't know Regina is a city which is good for you.

It's the same as putting a hiring freeze on airport personal causing 4 to 6 hour line ups at the nations busiest airports to discourage air travel while he flies every weekend to vacation resorts around the world.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Trudeau is a rich, privileged idiot. The world sees it. More and more Canadians see it but, still not enough in the GTA and Quebec to end this embarrassment. Anyways, I know a few higher ups that attended meetings in Toronto in which he explicitly stated companies need to put an absolute freeze on hiring white men as his solution to addressing inequalities in the workplace. He probably doesn't know Regina is a city which is good for you.

This is insane and this thread has gone off the rails.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
There are many valid criticisms of Trudeau, the Liberal government, and liberal ideology in general (more like, neoliberal ideology), but then people go way too extreme and only end up making themselves look like fools parroting bullshit from the right (who don't give a shit about working class people either, including white males, beyond taking advantage of their disaffectedness to get conservatives in power).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Yep. There needs to be a political discussion thread or something or better yet, just take that crazy shit to reddit where it belongs.

Last edited by pappcam; Jun 13, 2022 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Yep. There seems to be a political discussion thread or something or better yet, just take that crazy shit to reddit where it belongs.
We can thank one ——— for that as it Criticizes others

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
What the f***?

At least you don't perpetuate the stereotype.

Stereotypes...please. If you wanted a stereotype look in your mirror. I'm a single father who won custody from the dead beat mother, work full time and own my house, 75% of my friends are Croatian. But hey keep bashing white canadians with your stereotypical bullshit. Your probably a closet racist.

I'm also University Educated, BSe in Environmental Biology but no one wants to go work out of town anymore when you have kids. Plus the Environmental jobs now sucks compared to 5-10 years ago..no one wants to do that work anymore.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Yep. There needs to be a political discussion thread or something or better yet, just take that crazy shit to reddit where it belongs.
I'm pretty sure that was the intent for the creation of the Western Expresso thread on here was to house all the BS not related to Constrution. Tends to be more MB focused, but would be an appropriate spot for this discussion:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...88202&page=238

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Stereotypes...please. If you wanted a stereotype look in your mirror. I'm a single father who won custody from the dead beat mother, work full time and own my house, 75% of my friends are Croatian. But hey keep bashing white canadians with your stereotypical bullshit. Your probably a closet racist.

I'm also University Educated, BSe in Environmental Biology but no one wants to go work out of town anymore when you have kids. Plus the Environmental jobs now sucks compared to 5-10 years ago..no one wants to do that work anymore.
What the fuck are you on about???

Still a whole lot of what the fuck in this thread.

Are there any fucking mods here?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
What the fuck are you on about???

Still a whole lot of what the fuck in this thread.

Are there any fucking mods here?
Unfortunately one appears to have popped in to spout off similar extreme views.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:31 PM

On my AM walk this morning, and Argyle/St. Pius School is coming along nicely. Lots of exterior work on the northern portion of the building. The brick and paneling is a little darker than I expected but maybe it'll grow on me. I was hoping for a Douglas Park/Arcola School type architectural feel but I guess this is better than nothing.

Also, I can't wait for them to demolish to old Argyle School because those "sandwich" roman bricks on the gym area aren't made anymore and I would like to have a few spares on hand for my chimney. You know... just in case!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB14 View Post
On my AM walk this morning, and Argyle/St. Pius School is coming along nicely.
That school is massive. Its almost like this time they decided to put all the classrooms inside and not immediately add 12 portables to a brand new building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:52 AM

Took these the other day

New Argyle/St. Pius X Joint School

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 5:52 PM

I expect there will be at least one school consolidation project on the go for the next 2 decades until all the small single story schools are gone. Joan of Arc, Ruth M Buck, McClurg and Josaphat will likely get merged at some point given their proximity.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
I expect there will be at least one school consolidation project on the go for the next 2 decades until all the small single story schools are gone. Joan of Arc, Ruth M Buck, McClurg and Josaphat will likely get merged at some point given their proximity.
You're right and it's terrible. Instead of maximizing the quality of education for the long term viability of our communities and the overall economy, we treat it like a business by reducing costs and packing as much students in as possible.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jun 14, 2022 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:02 AM

A sizable mountain of aggregate is taking shape out at the Cargill crushing plant site. Several large piles of scraped off top soil as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan