HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 11:52 AM

A stadium on the RMP site would be something I can get excited about. I'll believe it when beams are in the ground though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 1:26 PM

Astra Tower Crane

To Schmoe or anyone else that might know.

Is the Astra Tower crane going to be raised soon? It looks like the tower is getting fairly close to the top of the tower crane.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 4:32 PM

Steve Starks, CEO of the LHM Group just updated his Twitter profile pic to him as kid in a Little League uniform.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 4:37 PM

RMP groundbreaking today?

So is there a groundbreaking ceremony of sorts at the RMP site today? Who is going to go live tweet it for the group?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:58 PM

Can someone point out the crossroads of this west side area by the stacks (?) that you guys are talking about an MLB team/stadium?

I'm not up on all the discussion that may have been had about an MLB team in SLC, but are you thinking it would be an expansion team or relocation?

Again, I'm unfamiliar with everything, but are the Bees an AAA team? And it sounds like they are getting a new stadium?

I don't think (or I can't think of) any city is a major league city and also has a AAA team. When Phoenix got the Diamondbacks, the old Phoenix Firebirds AAA left or were folded into another affiliate (I don't remember what happened that long ago... although I'm currently wearing a Phoenix Firebirds ball cap, IMO it's the best logo ever and it should have been used for the MLB expansion team, but I digress..). It seems strange there would be an AAA stadium built for a team that could leave within 10 years if MLB is really a potential. I don't think the SLC metro could handle an MLB team and a AAA team, it may not even be allowed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:07 PM

Article just dropped on ESPN about SLC wanting MLB.

Seems to be nothing more than a consortium in the hopes of getting MLB some day.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...xpansion-chase

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Can someone point out the crossroads of this west side area by the stacks (?) that you guys are talking about an MLB team/stadium?

I'm not up on all the discussion that may have been had about an MLB team in SLC, but are you thinking it would be an expansion team or relocation?

Again, I'm unfamiliar with everything, but are the Bees an AAA team? And it sounds like they are getting a new stadium?

I don't think (or I can't think of) any city is a major league city and also has a AAA team. When Phoenix got the Diamondbacks, the old Phoenix Firebirds AAA left or were folded into another affiliate (I don't remember what happened that long ago... although I'm currently wearing a Phoenix Firebirds ball cap, IMO it's the best logo ever and it should have been used for the MLB expansion team, but I digress..). It seems strange there would be an AAA stadium built for a team that could leave within 10 years if MLB is really a potential. I don't think the SLC metro could handle an MLB team and a AAA team, it may not even be allowed.
This is so preliminary that there aren’t answers to your questions regarding relocation/expansion. Bees are triple A. Yes, there would be no need for a AAA and MLB in the same market. The crossroads of the property on the west would redwood road and the east side would be the Jordan River. It’s a very large property. Half of it, however, is currently encumbered by a working power plant which will run until 2032 under current plans. So there is a lot to work out. Again, all this is very preliminary.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Article just dropped on ESPN about SLC wanting MLB.

Seems to be nothing more than a consortium in the hopes of getting MLB some day.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...xpansion-chase
I don’t get why TF they’re announcing they are going to try and get MLB team. Seems like the best way forward is only announcing once you have a team.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:23 PM

So is the real key expansion of MLB to 32 teams from 30? That's our best chance? I'm seeing both the A's and Rays want to move, but they're trying to get Vegas, yeah? So expanding is our best shot?

I'm glad we're making a play for it, I wish this was more than an announcement of intent.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
So is the real key expansion of MLB to 32 teams from 30? That's our best chance? I'm seeing both the A's and Rays want to move, but they're trying to get Vegas, yeah? So expanding is our best shot?

I'm glad we're making a play for it, I wish this was more than an announcement of intent.
It sounds like there could be potentially four spots available. The A's and the rays relocating and two possible expansion teams.

Let's go with Vegas, Portland, Nashville, SLC and call it good

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:19 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I don’t get why TF they’re announcing they are going to try and get MLB team. Seems like the best way forward is only announcing once you have a team.

This makes more sense than a team just dropping into the area. I said months ago Salt Lake was behind Nashville and Portland, two cities that had built a committee to bring a MLB team to the city. This has a plan, which is likely needed, to entice either an expansion team or a relocated team.

More importantly, it seems the city will have a stadium-ready plan, which is often the most important part of expansion/relocation.

The big difference between Portland and Salt Lake right now is the fact the RMP site is shovel ready tomorrow if needed. Portland has plans to possibly build a stadium in the Port of Portland but they have only a loose plan. The reality is that I think Portland might be sliding a bit and SLC very well could knock them out of the running.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It sounds like there could be potentially four spots available. The A's and the rays relocating and two possible expansion teams.

Let's go with Vegas, Portland, Nashville, SLC and call it good
I'm intrigued with the new stadium renderings being green and yellow. Makes me wonder about the A's...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:23 PM
Space Magi

A new website is up with renderings! So glad it's the Power District!

Also a pretty cool video (re-upload from website):

Video Link

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 12, 2023 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:11 PM

Am I understanding this correctly? Larry H. Miller is behind a AAA team at Daybreak and the Majors in Salt Lake's Power District!! WOW, even if it didn't happen for a few more years the fact that so many movers and shakers are behind working toward that location for MLB is very encouraging, to say the least!

Was interesting about Marv's comment regarding Warren Buffett owning the property. That's the kind of billionaire cartel you'd want to be involved. What a trip it would be if he became one of the investors.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:23 PM

I am so excited to hear that this could be reality. It makes me think there is a very good chance of this happening for them to make such a large announcement. I am also relieved that they want to build it near downtown and not in Day Break!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:47 PM
Space Magi

Orlando made a comment awhile back that they hadn't really considered a stadium in the Power District master plan.

Maybe this op-ed put the idea into some important heads

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:23 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Orlando made a comment awhile back that they hadn't really considered a stadium in the Power District master plan.

Maybe this op-ed put the idea into some important heads
They ought to put a seat in there with your name on it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

The big difference between Portland and Salt Lake right now is the fact the RMP site is shovel ready tomorrow if needed. Portland has plans to possibly build a stadium in the Port of Portland but they have only a loose plan. The reality is that I think Portland might be sliding a bit and SLC very well could knock them out of the running.
When KSL Sports was doing interviews after the event, Steve Starks, LHM president said they will put forward the argument with MLB that they can juice the old Bees stadium past 15k capacity while the new stadium is being completed if the MLB allowed them to. The point being we are ready.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:33 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
When KSL Sports was doing interviews after the event, Steve Starks, LHM president said they will put forward the argument with MLB that they can juice the old Bees stadium past 15k capacity while the new stadium is being completed if the MLB allowed them to. The point being we are ready.
There you go. I think this is happening.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:42 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
To Schmoe or anyone else that might know.

Is the Astra Tower crane going to be raised soon? It looks like the tower is getting fairly close to the top of the tower crane.
I believe the next crane jump is after the core wall reaches level 30 (it's at 26 now). My guess is this will be sometime mid-May. This is off the top of my head without checking the schedule.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West