HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:40 AM

I think it would be easier at this point to just figure out what 10 or so buildings you actually like.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:39 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
At first I didn’t mind the Keynote Towers O-Tacular posted. Then I realized they were condos and not a mediocre office tower, then I took time to look at them, then I saw the fugly base. Yeah the Keynote Towers belong here.

They look more like a set of electric razors the more I look at them

Besides the ugly podium and monstrous office portion, the condos themselves always bothered me because they are a lazy replica of the suncor twins in condo form. They just look weird for residential buildings.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I think it would be easier at this point to just figure out what 10 or so buildings you actually like.
I actually like a lot of buildings. Here’s some from my own city

One from the suburbs

If you ever need to ask me why I dislike a building don’t be afraid to ask .

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I like the bottom two but I hate the crystal. What a bastardization/uglification of the ROM. It looks like a crumpled sardine tin was kicked by some giant into the side of the ROM. Inside, there is just so much wasted space. Here, form absolutely, categorically, did not follow function.

Mind you, I fucking hate almost all of the crumpled tin stuff by Gehry (e.g., Bilbao). I do like his tower in lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 1:52 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I like the bottom two but I hate the crystal. What a bastardization/uglification of the ROM. It looks like a crumpled sardine tin was kicked by some giant into the side of the ROM. Inside, there is just so much wasted space. Here, form absolutely, categorically, did not follow function.

Mind you, I fucking hate almost all of the crumpled tin stuff by Gehry (e.g., Bilbao). I do like his tower in lower Manhattan.

I agree. Gehry is overrated. The crystal is a folly and an example of novelty for its own sake.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:05 PM
arf

Okay, this one is crossing the line from architecture into planning and definitely into nepotistic and favor politics.

Wascana park architect booted from review committee after not approving Conexus building.

Soon to be Regina's ugliest building for many reasons. I think Aurthur Dent put it correctly when he said "And Then I’ll do it some more. And when I’ve finished I’ll take all the little bits and I’ll… I’ll - I’ll jump on them! And I’ll carry on jumping on them until I get blisters... or I can think of something even more unpleasant to do and then I’ll"

That's the kind of rage I get when I read anything about this development and the Brandt re-development of the CNIB site in the park. I look forward to telling the candidate in my riding that I'll never vote for a conservative government in Saskatchewan again. Even if the other choices are Celine Dion and Chad Kroeger. I'll admit that would be a tough one, but I wouldn't vote for the Saskatchewan Party.

So nepotistic. Such a scumbag party and this building, even if it was the Chrysler Building, would be ugly.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Besides the ugly podium and monstrous office portion, the condos themselves always bothered me because they are a lazy replica of the suncor twins in condo form. They just look weird for residential buildings.
Yeah they are a complete ripoff of The Suncor Towers. Unfortunately enough for them it’s near impossible to tell what they are. Even if they’re mixed use they’re still rather clunky.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I actually like most of Gehrys stuff. The ROM is one of my more controversial opinions about architecture (I also like 432 Park Avenue in NYC) personally I think exterior-wize the crystal looks breathtaking. But I 100% agree with you on the interior. The crystal sections basically a giant glorified gift shop .

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:41 PM

Shitty Sheratons

Why is every single Sheraton Hotel a perfect candidate for this thread?

Laval

Toronto Downtown (to be fair to this one the insides nice)

Toronto Airport

Red Deer

Ottawa

Niagara

Edmonton

Last edited by stevanford1; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:25 PM

The Absolute towers have one of the worst podiums for a marquee project in the city. The same thing you ripped the keynote towers for. The fact that those towers can disguise themselves as a commercial building at first glance is a huge compliment in my eyes. I wish more residential towers would tastefully integrate balconies instead of just bolting them on a flat facade.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:33 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Okay, this one is crossing the line from architecture into planning and definitely into nepotistic and favor politics.

Wascana park architect booted from review committee after not approving Conexus building.

Soon to be Regina's ugliest building for many reasons. I think Aurthur Dent put it correctly when he said "And Then I’ll do it some more. And when I’ve finished I’ll take all the little bits and I’ll… I’ll - I’ll jump on them! And I’ll carry on jumping on them until I get blisters... or I can think of something even more unpleasant to do and then I’ll"

That's the kind of rage I get when I read anything about this development and the Brandt re-development of the CNIB site in the park. I look forward to telling the candidate in my riding that I'll never vote for a conservative government in Saskatchewan again. Even if the other choices are Celine Dion and Chad Kroeger. I'll admit that would be a tough one, but I wouldn't vote for the Saskatchewan Party.

So nepotistic. Such a scumbag party and this building, even if it was the Chrysler Building, would be ugly.
The Saskatchewan Party sounds very much like the bloated husk that was the Alberta PC's. Sadly we'll be getting our own new version of the Sask Party very soon with the UCP.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The Absolute towers have one of the worst podiums for a marquee project in the city. The same thing you ripped the keynote towers for.
The difference between Keynote and and Absolute Worlds podiums in my eyes is that Absolute Worlds podium actually looks like and works with the structure.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5946...7i16384!8i8192

Keynotes looks completely out of place from the structure.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0418...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

The Chinook Centres Tower looks out of place and ugly to me.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:01 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Edmonton
Good Lord Edmonton outdoes all the rest! I've never seen a brown mansard roof / blue spandrel combo before. That is top 10 worthy material.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:08 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

That is pretty horrific - one of the worst I've seen here yet, for sure. However, IMO to be considered among the top uglies a building must not only be hideous, but be prominently/inappropriately situated as well.

Hence why I'd probably still hold up Clockzilla and The Rooms as the worst we have to offer (and also the Venetian cause it's just that bad) for the way their wretchedness looms over the cities, even if they aren't necessarily architecturally "worse" than some shitty motel tucked away in the suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Good Lord Edmonton outdoes all the rest! I've never seen a brown mansard roof / blue spandrel combo before. That is top 10 worthy material.
It is near miraculous that it has never been posted. It also sits in the middle of a parking lot making it look even more depressing. So does that mean we have another representative from Edmonton? (outside of The Venetian which is lord of them all).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:12 PM

The Slab Chalet

I found another brother of Concordia's Hell Building.

The podium looks like a particularly old Swiss Chalet.

Last edited by stevanford1; Feb 15, 2019 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
You can certainly add Waterloo's Sheraton to the list....

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4986...7i13312!8i6656

To be fair(?) its been re branded as a Best Western, but nothing has changed aside from the colour of the roof which you can see in the most recent street view. I wouldn't really call that an upgrade though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:19 PM

Dear god thats awful.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ours isn't awful, but it's not great either.

Double tragedy, though. Much like the Rooms is on the site of our former primary citadel, Fort Townshend, the Sheraton is on the grounds of the former Newfoundland Hotel (gorgeous railway hotel) and one of the secondary citadels, Fort William.

A map of where they were (there were also Fort Waldegrave and Fort Amherst, but out of view in this one):

And the actual size/style (William was smaller):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada