HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:39 PM

Snapped a photo of the Icon from the Gatineau side but I have no idea how to post it on here (I'm relatively new to posting on this forum, though I have been visiting it for many many years). Could anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadianPatriot View Post
Snapped a photo of the Icon from the Gatineau side but I have no idea how to post it on here (I'm relatively new to posting on this forum, though I have been visiting it for many many years). Could anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!
Hi there...

You can upload it via IMGUR. Once uploaded, right-click the photo and "copy image address". Then when you are creating your message here on SSP, click the little square that looks like a mountain and moon "Insert Image" and paste your link that you just copied. This should embed the image to the forum so we can all see it here.

Cheers!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefans View Post
A question for those of you in the know....What happens at the top of a building like Icon when we get this much snow??
Simple answer is it all needs to be shoveled off by hand but it depends on what stage the next slab is at and how much snow fell. If the forms are in place snow will be shoveled into a bin then lowered down by the tower crane and trucked away. If forms are set along with rebar laid it will be covered with tarps and then the tarps lifted by the corners by the crane, lowered down, and trucked away. If a smaller snow fall is expected they will heat below the forms and just let it melt as it lands. You will notice orange tarps just below the top floor which are insulated to help keep in the heat both for curing the concrete and/or melting snow. Unless you are dealing with a really wide building it takes about a day to be back in business so to speak.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Hi there...

You can upload it via IMGUR. Once uploaded, right-click the photo and "copy image address". Then when you are creating your message here on SSP, click the little square that looks like a mountain and moon "Insert Image" and paste your link that you just copied. This should embed the image to the forum so we can all see it here.

Cheers!
Thanks!

Taken from UQO campus in Hull today (2019-02-14)... sorry for the mediocre picture quality :

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S613 View Post
Also as an additional plus. The concrete is extra thick alongside exterior hallway in the “Brando”. Should hold the dreaded hallway noise at bay. In your calculations though do include for blinds in all units (they can be $$). Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
So I ended up with the new Brando unit in the 26th floor

Prices just increased 10-20K depending on the unit but I was lucky enough to get the old price. As per the updated (Feb, 12th) availability list on Claridge website, 10 units were sold since the previous update that was in Dec, also they sold 60% of the units.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
Simple answer is it all needs to be shoveled off by hand but it depends on what stage the next slab is at and how much snow fell. If the forms are in place snow will be shoveled into a bin then lowered down by the tower crane and trucked away. If forms are set along with rebar laid it will be covered with tarps and then the tarps lifted by the corners by the crane, lowered down, and trucked away. If a smaller snow fall is expected they will heat below the forms and just let it melt as it lands. You will notice orange tarps just below the top floor which are insulated to help keep in the heat both for curing the concrete and/or melting snow. Unless you are dealing with a really wide building it takes about a day to be back in business so to speak.
Thanks for the information, ServiceGuy! Really interesting and informative.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:34 PM

A few pictures under overcast skies after the snowstorm this past Wednesday afternoon. You can see Envie I/SOHO Champagne in the background of the first picture and Nuovo in the background of the second picture.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:24 PM
Busy Beaver

Sunset shot

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:47 PM

That's awesome!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 2:40 PM
ハルウララ

I know we all rag on Claridge but this building is turning out pretty well all things considered.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I know we all rag on Claridge but this building is turning out pretty well all things considered.
Don't want to be nit-picky, but I find the mullions stand out a little too much for my taste. All-in-all, this is one of Claridge's best projects, and one of the best we've seen in Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 4:10 PM

Nice pictures.....love the sunset!

We saw some work happening yesterday morning to a support for the crane so it looked like they were getting ready to raise it. You can also see the windows have been delivered and stacked on a couple of the floors above the 20th floor platforms!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Don't want to be nit-picky, but I find the mullions stand out a little too much for my taste. All-in-all, this is one of Claridge's best projects, and one of the best we've seen in Ottawa.
Agreed....it would be nicer if they were more subtle. It will be interesting to see if they get toned down when the balcony glass is added.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 5:27 PM

Can see it from my living room in Gatineau. Really adds a nice touch to the Ottawa skyline at night. How many more floors are there going to be?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefans View Post

Nice pictures.....love the sunset!

We saw some work happening yesterday morning to a support for the crane so it looked like they were getting ready to raise it. You can also see the windows have been delivered and stacked on a couple of the floors above the 20th floor platforms!
Drove by about 2pm today (Sunday) and the crane has been raised... was driving so couldn't get a picture, but it's a lot higher now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 11:32 PM

D828473 icon
by Chuck Clark, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA-1 View Post
Balconies, any size, make all the difference. Ours were out of bounds for part of a summer while windows and doors were replaced. All of a sudden my little apartment became microscopic. Terrible not having that extra 40 sq ft outside!

DF01787 icon top bit
by Chuck Clark, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 7:25 PM

About time they raise the crane! the roof was almost hitting the bottom of it haha. I am liking the look so far, the glazing and paneling doesn't look as bad as the usual Crapridge stuff.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:15 PM

Looks like they are working on the 37th Floor Plate now...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa