HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I'm not sure whether this is one of those "Plinth towers" or not (where you have a 5-6 floor parking garage base with a tower on top), but it does remind me...hopefully one day we will have a public transportation system comprehensive enough to where we can eliminate the "plinth" from the plinth towers! They create such dead streetscapes.
The "plinth" as you call it is all space to be used by humans; Hotel Offices & staff areas, a Spa, dining & lounging spaces, meeting rooms & two ballrooms, one above the other along with pre-function and food support spaces for each ballroom. The parking is in four levels below ground.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:21 PM
Member since 2001

For $350+ million - Austin gets The JW Marriott Austin tower

For ~$350 million - Austin gets The Fairmont Austin & W Hotel & Residences towers

For $400 million - San Diego gets The Ritz Carlton

PATHETIC!

Not only is the design a million times better, but, it's California - where everything (including construction) is more expensive.

Commercial development costs are about 20% higher in San Diego than anywhere in Texas. So, if this holds true, The Ritz Carlton San Diego mixed use development (as currently conceived) would cost between $320-$350 million to build in Texas.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

For ~$350 million - Austin gets The Fairmont Austin & W Hotel & Residences towers

PATHETIC!

Not only is the design a million times better, but, it's California - where everything (including construction) is more expensive.

Commercial development costs are about 20% higher in San Diego than anywhere in Texas. So, if this holds true, The Ritz Carlton San Diego mixed use development (as currently conceived) would cost between $320-$350 million to build in Texas.
Yeah, Austin can sometimes have REALLY low standards for beautiful architecture. There's no good excuse that The Fairmont has been downgraded to a big blue box with a pole on top... Or the Proper going from giant pyramid to an OKAY tiered box.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:27 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

How much for the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac?

http://q-ec.bstatic.com/images/hotel...4/46487422.jpg

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:38 AM

I'm not overly impressed with that design, but yeah I agree that most new builds here are sub-par. Some are pure trash.

Austin is not the tourist destination that San Diego is though. Even though we are closing the gap in population size, SD has professional sports, amusement parks, and the ocean.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I'm not overly impressed with that design, but yeah I agree that most new builds here are sub-par. Some are pure trash.

Austin is not the tourist destination that San Diego is though. Even though we are closing the gap in population size, SD has professional sports, amusement parks, and the ocean.
Hmm...I hear you but also kinda disagree. Austin is more of an IT city than SD (as beautiful as SD is) which is why I don't buy any of the reasons that we can't step our game up. I'm of course not including population or geographical amenities here.

Bottom line: The Fairmont did not need to downgrade so severely.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Hmm...I hear you but also kinda disagree. Austin is more of an IT city than SD (as beautiful as SD is) which is why I don't buy any of the reasons that we can't step our game up. I'm of course not including population or geographical amenities here.

Bottom line: The Fairmont did not need to downgrade so severely.
Yeah, I share in your frustration. Austin IS an "it" city... I'm surprised that there isn't a developer / architect out there willing to make a big splash on a city that gets so much national press.

On the hotel front, we definitely attract younger visitors as opposed to big family trips though, which is probably why we have like 5 Alofts under construction, and cities like SD get a Ritz.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:45 AM
World Traveler

I think Fairmont could have been significantly better (the design we all loved would have been awesome). However, it could have been significantly worse than what we're getting also...look at the hotel wasteland several blocks north, for instance...

That said, I hope that the powers that be and developers can get their heads on straight and start building more unique (not overly crazy, but tastefully unique) buildings that the entire city can be proud of for decades to come.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:54 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

PATHETIC!

Meh. That thing is pretty awful. I'll give you guys that the Fairmount could have been better (I don't really like it), but I'd gladly take the JW Marriott and especially the W over that thing in San Diego. The only time I could support an idea like that is if the site justified it. I've never been a fan of skybridges or buildings with holes in them, but if you had a special case with a historic building on the site and you wanted to buy the air rights above it and build something like that, then that would be ok. But to have a full block and do it doesn't really make sense.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 1:28 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Let's compare our Fairmont to others in the U.S.

Ours

gensler.com

Berkeley

Fairmont.com

Boston

Fairmont.com

Chicago

hotels.com

Dallas

cpexecutive.com

Hawaii

Fairmont.com

Maui

Fairmont.com

New York

cpp-luxury.com

Newport Beach

tripadvisor.com

Pittsburgh

contractdesign.com

expedia.com

San Diego

booking.com

San Francisco 1

Fairmont.com

San Francisco 2

quintess.com

San Jose

booking.com

Santa Monica

westlandtraveler.com

Scottsdale

scottsdaleprincess.com

Seattle

coryparris.com

Sonoma

travelchannel.com

Telluride

expedia.com

Washington D.C.

Fairmont.com

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Meh. That thing is pretty awful. I'll give you guys that the Fairmount could have been better (I don't really like it), but I'd gladly take the JW Marriott and especially the W over that thing in San Diego. The only time I could support an idea like that is if the site justified it. I've never been a fan of skybridges or buildings with holes in them, but if you had a special case with a historic building on the site and you wanted to buy the air rights above it and build something like that, then that would be ok. But to have a full block and do it doesn't really make sense.
Man I'm glad I'm not alone with my opinion of the SD Fairmont. I agree with Kevin but I'll add that I'm glad cities like SD also get these attempts at decent architecture but fall short. This thing looks interesting, perhaps it will be their signature tower, but it looks too busy with elements I don't care for, like skybridges and notches. I'm glad we didn't get it. That being said, our Fairmont will always disappoint those of us who saw the original render. Its like being shown prime rib and being served sirloin, sirloin isn't bad, but it ain't prime rib. Architecturally, it seems we are stuck in meh gear.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 11:33 PM

I had brunch at Boiler Nine at Seaholm this afternoon, so I snapped a few quick photos of some projects. Here's the Fairmont making an appearance on 2nd Street.

St:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 1:42 AM

Even though we as forumers are divided about how The Fairmont looks, I have to say at least we are getting a spire out of it. Also if you look closely, it looks as if the base of the tower is getting a lighting scheme.

https://www.facebook.com/FairmontAustin/?fref=ts

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 2:56 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Even though we as forumers are divided about how The Fairmont looks, I have to say at least we are getting a spire out of it. Also if you look closely, it looks as if the base of the tower is getting a lighting scheme.

https://www.facebook.com/FairmontAustin/?fref=ts
Do you mean the far right of the base? If what I'm seeing is it, it seems like that's the side that would face Cesar Chavez to the south, right?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Do you mean the far right of the base? If what I'm seeing is it, it seems like that's the side that would face Cesar Chavez to the south, right?
Correct, the far right side of the base. But I'm also thinking that the front side will be decorated in lights as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 9:03 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Correct, the far right side of the base. But I'm also thinking that the front side will be decorated in lights as well.
That could be a pleasant surprise then.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 7:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

There are a lot of nice Fairmont hotel designs, some of course are refurbished older buldings. One thing that makes ours stand out is the number of rooms it will have. Only the Fairmont in Toronto will have more rooms.

There's no doubt that I would have loved the original design but it's not too bad in its final form. I think if the fact that we have a large rectangle with the JW makes it less appealing and even the JW isn't just a glass rectangle but has some other design elements including the white wing that juts out. I'd really like to see a change with future hotels. Proper is at least a start. I guess Aloft is too except the south facing wall is still bothering me.

Lighting is going to be the next test, will they light the crown? Will the spire have some sort of lighting? Will the lighting be bland or will it have some color and vibrancy?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 8:53 PM

Worth noting that this isn't so much a Fairmont hotel as a Manchester hotel. If you look at what they've built in the past this makes much more sense. Fairmont is really just the management company, and the brand that's agreed to work with the Manchesters on their project.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 3:38 AM
クラブトクヨ

I am happy with this tower, its massive! Every time someone visits me from out of town, they mention how wide it is. Austin needs this tower, hopefully the next eye catcher will be more interesting.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:17 PM
Resident Moron

Yeah, I'm not sure why we are showing photos of things like the Plaza that were built long before Fairmont took over management of them as "proof" of what the building should look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin