HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 11:44 PM

Tulane ave will be a popular place in year to come. Old shops hotel and a apartment will be come upscale. Hotel and restaurant would center in Tulane.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 12:41 AM

There's a Woodward sign at Tulane and Galvez now where they tore down that blighted hotel. Anyone know what that's going to be?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm pretty sure, if we get a wave of development, we'll end up a lot like Houston whether we like it or not. We already are. Of course, we'll actually.have real music, food, and culture.
After living in Houston only a short 6 months, I can see NO being similar to Houston inner city (inside 610), but BR will look the same if they see massive growth. Any city can look like Houston if they sprawl like crazy in every direction. With the boundaries that NO has (Lake to the north and west, Mississippi to the east, and the gulf to the south), I can't see it being as horribly planned as Houston is.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 1:44 AM

Any status of the riverfront project. Hope this project is starting very soon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
After living in Houston only a short 6 months, I can see NO being similar to Houston inner city (inside 610), but BR will look the same if they see massive growth. Any city can look like Houston if they sprawl like crazy in every direction. With the boundaries that NO has (Lake to the north and west, Mississippi to the east, and the gulf to the south), I can't see it being as horribly planned as Houston is.
I can see N.O. being similar to the gentrified and infilled parts of Houston. Particularly the corner between 288, Southwest Freeway, and 610; but much denser and more vibrant. Baton Rouge, on the other hand, is destined to become a mirror image of everything from Beltway 8 and beyond if it continues to grow; Sugar Land II. Maybe the Green Light Program and more development on the northern side of town can change that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I can see N.O. being similar to the gentrified and infilled parts of Houston. Particularly the corner between 288, Southwest Freeway, and 610; but much denser and more vibrant. Baton Rouge, on the other hand, is destined to become a mirror image of everything from Beltway 8 and beyond if it continues to grow; Sugar Land II. Maybe the Green Light Program and more development on the northern side of town can change that.
Thats why Ive always liked cities that have natural boundaries like rivers, mountains, the ocean etc. They seem to be much better planned..San Francisco, New Orleans, New York City, Boston compared to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
There's a Woodward sign at Tulane and Galvez now where they tore down that blighted hotel. Anyone know what that's going to be?
I saw something on the City Council agenda awhile ago about someone applying for a rezoning to multifamily residential for the property. So it seems like its a go for more apartments right there then too. Not a bad location since its on the side of the VA Hospital.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I saw something on the City Council agenda awhile ago about someone applying for a rezoning to multifamily residential for the property. So it seems like its a go for more apartments right there then too. Not a bad location since its on the side of the VA Hospital.
Thanks. Yeah its a perfect location for more apts since thats where the action will be soon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 2:53 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
New Orleans biodistrict could create jobs, grown earnings in the region
Friday, January 14, 2011
Bill Barrow, The Times-Picayune

The fledgling New Orleans biodistrict is positioned to save or create 17,250 permanent jobs and grow personal earnings in the region by $630 million annually by 2030, according to a new analysis by a leading Louisiana State University economist.

James Richardson's forecast for permanent direct jobs -- 9,800 of the total projection -- equals 17 percent of the employment base of the existing medical infrastructure in the metropolitan area.

The immediate jolt will include thousands of jobs during construction of the $800 million Veterans Affairs medical complex and the $1.2 billion University Medical Center, the state's successor to Charity Hospital.

more: http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ict_could.html

Last edited by LouisianaRush; Jan 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 5:43 PM
-

This really is going to be a game changer for that area. Does anyone know when they are releasing the new development scheme for the Teaching Hospital. Anxiously hoping for a much more pedestrian friendly layout and much less surface parking...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 5:56 PM

Cool biodistrict

Did anyone ever say what would become of that monstrous shuttered hotel at Claiborne and St. Charles? The Texaco building's got to go too. Regardless, that whole area should be pleasantly unrecognizable in 4-5 years.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 6:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Did anyone ever say what would become of that monstrous shuttered hotel at Claiborne and St. Charles? The Texaco building's got to go too. Regardless, that whole area should be pleasantly unrecognizable in 4-5 years.

Claiborne and St Charles? What are you referring to? Im assuming you mean Claiborne and Canal and if so that is in the footprint of the new Teaching Hospital and will be torn down( though Ive heard it may actually be blown up)..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 9:12 PM

The Claiborne Tower? next to I-10/Claiborne and Canal?

its not in the footprint, and you're right...its massive and fugly and blighted.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowngirl View Post
The Claiborne Tower? next to I-10/Claiborne and Canal?

its not in the footprint, and you're right...its massive and fugly and blighted.
If its this building on the north side of the interstate it is in the footprint

http://www.emporis.com/application/?...orleans-la-usa

The building resides in the purple shaded area from what I can see so Im pretty sur eits slated to go.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 10:52 PM

Ould be cool if corporate headquarters would invest heavily in New Orleans east. I could be like Greenway Plaza

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 12:45 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Did anyone ever say what would become of that monstrous shuttered hotel at Claiborne and St. Charles Canal? The Texaco building's got to go too. Regardless, that whole area should be pleasantly unrecognizable in 4-5 years.
The Texaco Building will supposedly be re-used as senior housing in the new Iberville.

The Grand Plaza Hotel IS within the LSU site. Supposedly it will be torn down for a parking lot, according to the site plan. However, if LSU consolidates some of the parking lots into a second garage, they might choose to forgo the costs of demolition until they're ready for Phase II in twenty years or so.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:29 AM
-

Description Site work and new construction of a sports complex in New Orleans. Conceptual plans call for the construction of a new miniature golf course to be built in two phases. Phase I will include infrastructure work and a small entrance building with a conc

Who is building a miniature golf course?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Description Site work and new construction of a sports complex in New Orleans. Conceptual plans call for the construction of a new miniature golf course to be built in two phases. Phase I will include infrastructure work and a small entrance building with a conc

Who is building a miniature golf course?
City Park, and construction begins in March. http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...olf_compl.html

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 2:45 AM

Nearly vacant Hibernia Bank building may be converted into apartments, office space

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...a_bank_bu.html

The nearly vacant Hibernia Bank building, which for many years was the tallest building in New Orleans and home to the state's largest bank, may soon have a new life as mixed-income apartments helping to transform downtown New Orleans into a residential neighborhood.

Historic Restoration Inc. and Woodward Interest LLC, a division of Carl E. Woodward LLC, seek to turn the 1921 beaux arts building into 176 mixed-income apartments and two floors of Class A office space with an adjacent parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:06 AM
-

Project seems ok, I was hoping for something a little more interesting but I guess the bank will stay in the lobby for years either way. I just hope they do something cool with that cuppola... maybe a lounge or something up there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations