HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
True, but it's still just a big bunch of office space and if it isn't being used, there's always the chance it gets demo'd. If it makes business sense then it'll happen.

That said, I don't think it would happen anytime soon. There will definitely be a decent period of time while they try to fill that office space with new tenants.
It makes zero sense. Would cost hundreds of millions of dollars for no financial gain. Nobody is going to pay for that. Absolutely no reason to demo good office space.

News is posting clickbait bullshit. You'll see the sun explode in your lifetime before a Ren Cen demolition. Don't get why this fantasy is constantly entertained. People are really bored with their lives.

Also this is what Mary Barra actually said:

Quote:
"Yeah, we're first looking at what can be done and what would be the appropriate use for the business. We've got a year to do that so that's where we're focused."
She said absolutely nothing about demolition of anything...

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It makes zero sense. Would cost hundreds of millions of dollars for no financial gain. Nobody is going to pay for that. Absolutely no reason to demo good office space.

News is posting clickbait bullshit. You'll see the sun explode in your lifetime before a Ren Cen demolition. Don't get why this fantasy is constantly entertained. People are really bored with their lives.

You omitted the question she was responding to:

Quote:
Moderator Rhonda Walker, a WDIV-TV anchor, asked Barra, "Are any of the thought processes demolishing the building?"

Barra said, "We're first looking at what can be done and what would be the appropriate use for the business. We've got a year to do that so that's where we're focused."

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
You omitted the question she was responding to:
And her response was clearly ignoring a dumb loaded question. Reiterating that they're focused on making a use for the building. She went on before that stating they're committed to redevelopment.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:33 PM

Quote:
And her response was clearly ignoring a dumb loaded question. Reiterating that they're focused on making a use for the building. She went on before that stating they're committed to redevelopment.
No, she evaded the question, which means that demolition is under consideration. If it was not under consideration then she would've just said that.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
No, she evaded the question, which means that demolition is under consideration. If it was not under consideration then she would've just said that.
GM is gonna seek a developer to partner with, whether that's for office, hotel, residential or something else. She'd be very foolish to publicly commit that they won't tear it down.

But they will take their cues from the development partner, and I have confidence that the partner will see value in preserving all or most of the RenCen complex. Even if they strip it down to the steel frame and reclad/rework the massing of the building.

It's not gonna become a parking lot.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:

There's no financial gain for owning an empty building. It could be the most perfect office space, who knows. But if it's empty and no one's paying rent to GM... then it's kinda obvious what could happen.

As a business, "preserving an iconic building" is only as important as it is for marketing purposes. And if no one's buying, then that "iconic status" isn't worth a whole lot.

But again, demolition is a last resort and GM will no doubt crunch the numbers and consider all other possible options in the mean time.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Moderator Rhonda Walker, a WDIV-TV anchor, asked Barra, "Are any of the thought processes demolishing the building?"

Barra said, "We're first looking at what can be done and what would be the appropriate use for the business. We've got a year to do that so that's where we're focused."
Barra seems to be saying "We'll spend the next year trying to figure out how best to use the building. If we can't put it to good use, we will demolish it."

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:32 PM

The Ren Cen is an obsolete piece of shit that literally makes downtown worse. Would love to see it go and then be replaced by something newer and better. Now that would actually be good for the city and its image. Throw off the shackles of this evil corporation that threw Detroit to the wind.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Barra seems to be saying "We'll spend the next year trying to figure out how best to use the building. If we can't put it to good use, we will demolish it."
Yes, that is what I read into it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
But they will take their cues from the development partner, and I have confidence that the partner will see value in preserving all or most of the RenCen complex. Even if they strip it down to the steel frame and reclad/rework the massing of the building.
The biggest issue working against the Ren Cen is its isolated location. I think the best way to save it is actually to get rid of those massive parking structures to the east and develop residential towers there.

This should be replaced with mixed used residential: https://maps.app.goo.gl/1MRfZRWWZKTRWif87

And all of this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/i9xav3BbBU99tpno9

And all of this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/AVPbYL4oU39sxyz19

If that's not part of the plan then it's hard to see the complex survive in current form, IMO. The original plans for the complex called for all of those areas to be filled with residential and retail, but that part never materialized.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:37 PM

I would love to see the waterfront revitalized near the ren center, maybe even by tearing down a majority of the parking garages and surface lots for private development and a linear waterfront park. They have a small sliver available for the riverwalk but they should really plan on making the rest of the waterfront lot park space.

It would be cool to see the ren center recladded and converted to residential but I'm not sure how serious they are.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
There's no financial gain for owning an empty building. It could be the most perfect office space, who knows. But if it's empty and no one's paying rent to GM... then it's kinda obvious what could happen.

As a business, "preserving an iconic building" is only as important as it is for marketing purposes. And if no one's buying, then that "iconic status" isn't worth a whole lot.

But again, demolition is a last resort and GM will no doubt crunch the numbers and consider all other possible options in the mean time.
The complex has only had significant vacancies for a few years, which isn't even atypical for office space. Even if we pretend for a second that it goes totally vacant, nobody is going to pay those demolition costs. It would just sit there for decades.

Regardless, she clearly stated they're working on a plan for utilizing the space several times. We have no reason to believe anything else is going on or being considered.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 10:56 PM

I think at the very least we can guarantee the Marriott isn’t going anywhere. Detroit already lacks hotel rooms and it’d make absolutely no sense to remove 1,300 rooms. I can see it getting a massive renovation, but not demolition.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the remaining tenants were all moved into one of the Jefferson facing towers, while the other one gets turned into another hotel (or two) and the two towers facing the river become residential. It would be nice if the podium was removed altogether and some pedestrian streets added in. I really don’t see the RenCen being demolished in its entirety, however.

Last edited by DetroitSky; May 24, 2024 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 12:36 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 4:10 PM

This article is 1 month old but contains a good photo:

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...detroit-condos

"Condo units — slated for closings in late 2026 — will be priced starting at about $550,000 and are expected to top out around $3 million..."

"The overall condo market in Detroit remains oversaturated with more than eight months of supply on the market, but sales in the price range of $300,000-$500,000 have been a bright spot and inventory within that segment is much tighter, per The Loft Warehouse report."

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:17 AM

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:32 PM

It would be a shame to lose any of the RenCen towers now that Hudson's Detroit truly gives the skyline a modern look. The more I think about it, I believe at least two of the RenCen office towers should be converted to apartment/condo units. We have a very nice '60s glass office tower that was converted and it is really something to behold. It's The National 1401 Elm Street, Dallas.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 3:53 PM

Some photos I took yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:47 PM
Registered Ugly

I love this project, but I've got to say, it's really highlighted for me how hulking One Campus Martius really is. It's got to be more than 3 times the square footage of this tower.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 6:12 PM

That ground level entrance looks 𝒻𝒶𝓃𝒸𝓎. The paper bag in the tree kind ruins it though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 7:50 PM

Agreed - the finishes and ground level embellishments looks beautiful.

I was excited by the renders and it looks even better in person now.

Strong turn of the century and art deco vibes here. That bronze color is *chefs kiss*.

Detroit is back baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Some photos I took yesterday:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction