HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 10:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Some new renders of the Promenade Neuf showed up on the Spitfire Designs FB page today. I know it must have happened today because they weren't there this morning. I know, I checked..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:45 AM

Surprise, surprise, it's the same black and silver with some brick mixed in for good measure that almost all of the new buildings are (Five Five Queen, Hyatt Place, Hilton, etc). Is that style of siding on sale or something?

I understand it's the current trend and it's nice to see things like this being built, but a little more variety would be appreciated.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like Spitfire Design's overall style, but there is a distressing sameness to the design parameters of all of their projects in the metro region that we've seen over the last several years.

Spitfire has really upped the quality of new projects in metro Moncton, but they really need to start thinking about flexing their architectural muscles a bit on their future projects. Too much of the same thing can get boring.

We don't want Moncton to be monotonous.......

It should be noted that Spitfire is an "architectural technology" company, and as such, they may not be architects per se. I found this definition of what an architectural technologist actually does:

Quote:
Architectural technicians/technologists work closely with architects and other building professionals, providing architectural design services and solutions on construction projects. They negotiate projects, assessing the needs of clients and users, and agree the project brief.
So, I presume that in situations where the developer wants a quality build, but is not interested in pushing the architectural envelope with an avant garden style, they would employ the services of a company like Spitfire, who would do the basic design work, then have the plan signed off with by an architect and structural engineers.

If on the other hand the developer wants something iconic and/or unique, they would preferentially deal with the architect instead, who would then employ the services of architectural technologists and engineers to make the project happen. It all depends on what the developer wants to do. Secondarily employing the architects would likely be the cheaper option, but would result in less interesting design proposals.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 16, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:26 PM

What’s most important, is that these aren’t 4 story wood or plastic siding buildings.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:35 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

My only criticism of this building is the balconies, and it has nothing to do with the design. I live 250 meters away from this lot and I can say with personal experience that the mosquitoes are so bad that open balconies like this are basically useless in the summer being so close to the marsh. Maybe it isn't an issue at higher floors, but it isn't at all uncommon for literal clouds of flies on muggy nights.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:46 PM

To confirm the orientation of the building... is this Acadie in the front? I hope that the parking is in the back, but there's large "230 Acadie" signage on the parking-lot render...

What direction is the prominent corner facing?

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

My assumption is that this is the face of the building along Acadie and that the prominent corner will be at the intersection of the future Paul Street extension and Acadie.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 12:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It just occurred to me that they will have to build at least a stub of the Paul Street extension to allow access to the parking lot in behind the Promenade Neuf. I would imagine the remainder of the Paul Street extension will likely proceed in relatively short order (the next couple of years).

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

It just occurred to me that they will have to build at least a stub of the Paul Street extension to allow access to the parking lot in behind the Promenade Neuf. I would imagine the remainder of the Paul Street extension will likely proceed in relatively short order (the next couple of years).
Unfortunate this wasn't done when this intersection was reconfigured just a couple of years ago. If Paul street is to be extended, then double-left turning lanes will likely be needed from Acadie Northbound. The whole intersection will need to be reconfigured again. Typical NB planning.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 5:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Unfortunate this wasn't done when this intersection was reconfigured just a couple of years ago. If Paul street is to be extended, then double-left turning lanes will likely be needed from Acadie Northbound. The whole intersection will need to be reconfigured again. Typical NB planning.
The project to extend Rue du College from Champlain to Acadie has taken about 80 years and still isn't done. By the time Paul is extended to Acadie, I expect both roads will have been rebuilt several times. Why bother building ahead now

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 7:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that they have poured the concrete pad for the tower crane at Promenade Neuf.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I see that they have poured the concrete pad for the tower crane at Promenade Neuf.
They have a crane onsite this morning raising the tower crane

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:34 PM

What will be interesting, is that we may see 4 cranes in the sky all at once in the city. We have Promenade Neuf, Tannery building, the Hilton and the apartment on mountain road..

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
What will be interesting, is that we may see 4 cranes in the sky all at once in the city. We have Promenade Neuf, Tannery building, the Hilton and the apartment on mountain road..
There is also currently a tower crane at the Dieppe Uniplex.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
There is also currently a tower crane at the Dieppe Uniplex.
There is also one at the sewage treatment plant

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
There is also one at the sewage treatment plant
And the new bridge that will be replacing the causeway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
And the new bridge that will be replacing the causeway.
That's not a tower crane, and, FWIW, the crane at the UNI Centre isn't a full fledged tower crane either (it's a mini tower crane). If you are going to count it, then you would have to count the crane being used for the new apartment building on Diamond Head Court too.

I don't think it's a given that the crane that will be used for the new Hilton Garden Inn will be a full fledged tower crane either (the Hilton will be only four storeys), but given the large footprint of this building, I kinda think it will be.

And here's a photo of greater Moncton's newest tower crane at the Promenade Neuf building site:

And, FWIW, here's the mini tower crane at the UNI Centre (screen shot from today).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:27 PM

I just figured the Hilton would have one mainly because the Hyatt had one.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I just figured the Hilton would have one mainly because the Hyatt had one.
Agree, and it may, it just isn't a given, The reason why I think it might get a bona fide tower crane is because of how long the Hilton hotel building will be. A real tower crane has a larger "reach" than it's mini cousin. This is the reason why they have a real tower crane at the wastewater treatment site in Riverview.

So, this is my list of tower cranes in greater Moncton for 2019:

1) - Promenade Neuf
2) - Tannery Place South
3) - Emma Place
4) - Wastewater Treatment Facility
5) - Hilton Garden Inn (maybe)

plus assorted mini tower cranes (Diamond Head Court apt. building, UNI Centre, new apt. building on Pleasant St. at Lewisville, etc).

It's going to be a busy summer...........

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
That's not a tower crane, and, FWIW, the crane at the UNI Centre isn't a full fledged tower crane either (it's a mini tower crane). If you are going to count it, then you would have to count the crane being used for the new apartment building on Diamond Head Court too.

I don't think it's a given that the crane that will be used for the new Hilton Garden Inn will be a full fledged tower crane either (the Hilton will be only four storeys), but given the large footprint of this building, I kinda think it will be.

And here's a photo of greater Moncton's newest tower crane at the Promenade Neuf building site:

And, FWIW, here's the mini tower crane at the UNI Centre (screen shot from today).

Obviously. But the post said cranes, not tower cranes. Thanks for the pictures. You can really see the difference in the Promenade Neuf crane and the one at the UNI Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces