HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 1:30 AM

The signage and design of that unopened part are utterly bizarre. I was a passenger and knew that the collector road would continue, but I think my driver, had he been alone, would have exited as some have mentioned they did. They should have at least put up a detour sign.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The signage and design of that unopened part are utterly bizarre. I was a passenger and knew that the collector road would continue, but I think my driver, had he been alone, would have exited as some have mentioned they did. They should have at least put up a detour sign.
Exactly.

Speaking of signage & intuitiveness... I took Hwy6 south to get on the west Bypass... I suspect I missed the sign, but I absolutely wasn’t expecting a left-hand turn across northbound traffic to access the west Bypass/Hwy11. I ended up turning around a short distance away and using the loop from northbound Hwy6.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Exactly.

Speaking of signage & intuitiveness... I took Hwy6 south to get on the west Bypass... I suspect I missed the sign, but I absolutely wasn’t expecting a left-hand turn across northbound traffic to access the west Bypass/Hwy11. I ended up turning around a short distance away and using the loop from northbound Hwy6.
Wow that is really weird. Are there traffic lights on highway 6?

https://www.reginabypass.ca/project/map-facts/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Wow that is really weird. Are there traffic lights on highway 6?

https://www.reginabypass.ca/project/map-facts/
Nope. And I don't recall a protected left-turn lane either... I need to drive it again.

Anyone know why the northwest corner (Hwy6 south onto Bypass west) doesn't have a ramp, like the other 3 corners do? Is there an issue with the land there that doesn't make it conducive to a roadway? Or was Highways not able to get that parcel of land (seems unlikely, given all the land they expropriated).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 1:26 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Nope. And I don't recall a protected left-turn lane either... I need to drive it again.

Anyone know why the northwest corner (Hwy6 south onto Bypass west) doesn't have a ramp, like the other 3 corners do? Is there an issue with the land there that doesn't make it conducive to a roadway? Or was Highways not able to get that parcel of land (seems unlikely, given all the land they expropriated).
Maybe SK MHI didn't deem it necessary to have that cloverleaf ramp from 6 South to Bypass East yet? Lol, it probably even wanted you to head west on the ring road then loop back on the bypass.

When (or if, or if ever) highway 6 is twinned towards Estevan, though, MHI definitely needs to make that interchange free-flowing.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Maybe SK MHI didn't deem it necessary to have that cloverleaf ramp from 6 South to Bypass East yet? Lol, it probably even wanted you to head west on the ring road then loop back on the bypass.

When (or if, or if ever) highway 6 is twinned towards Estevan, though, MHI definitely needs to make that interchange free-flowing.
I drove south on Hwy6/Albert today, and there is a sign on the right shoulder indicating that Moose Jaw is accessible via left turn. There is a protected lane for the turn. There is no indication on the sign over the roadway that MJ (or west Bypass) is accessible via the left lane - 3 lanes are marked (middle two=Weyburn; right lane=Winnipeg; left turn lane= no sign).

Thinking about it, though, there's really going to be very little traffic heading south on Hwy6 wanting to access the west Bypass to MJ or Stoon... 99% would have passed the Ring Road, which is a quicker route to the Bypass/MJ. So, the access at the Bypass/Hwy6 would - for the most part - be for people who missed the Ring Road access, or who changed their minds.

There does need to be a review of signage in the city, now that the Bypass is open. The Ring Road is still prominently marked as the route to get to Winnipeg for traffic heading south on Albert... presumably - as is done in other cities - both the "city route" (Ring Road) and Bypass should be indicated. Likely other examples like this around town.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:03 PM

Driving to Highway 11 on the weekend I noted what appears to be a safety issue. The Ramp to enter Highway 11 north is a pretty sharp curve coming off a 110kph freeway. It also has a steep 30 foot drop off and no guard rail. It seemed really strange to me. Location at red arrow.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 3:09 PM

Here is the Highway 6 interchange. Note the southbound left turn across traffic to make a right turn. It seems odd, but I agree that will be rarely used and anyone coming south on Albert St. from the City will have turned at the Ring Road to access Highway 1 W.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Driving to Highway 11 on the weekend I noted what appears to be a safety issue. The Ramp to enter Highway 11 north is a pretty sharp curve coming off a 110kph freeway. It also has a steep 30 foot drop off and no guard rail. It seemed really strange to me. Location at red arrow.

What's the speed limit by time you reach that on-ramp? I'd presume that it's dropped significantly below 110 kph.

Not to question the safety issues, just curious. Certainly sounds like a place that could use a guardrail regardless of the speed limit there.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
What's the speed limit by time you reach that on-ramp? I'd presume that it's dropped significantly below 110 kph.

Not to question the safety issues, just curious. Certainly sounds like a place that could use a guardrail regardless of the speed limit there.
There is a speed zone but I don't recall the speed. The point I was trying to make is that people are often going above the limit after a long stretch of open road. Yes they should slow down, but there will be some that don't fully and they don't deserve to die.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post

The speed limit drops to 50 I believe before the bridge. I noted that when I drove that area last week, that it was a sharp drop from 110 - 50, so I knew the exit ramp was going to be a tight corner to go north on 11.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:16 PM

Semis travelling wrong way on Bypass:

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/caught-on-...pass-1.4671264

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Semis travelling wrong way on Bypass:

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/caught-on-...pass-1.4671264
Lol. He's recording that with a cellphone while driving. I wonder what will happen because of that?

Also, how did 3 brain dead truck drivers gather in a group like that?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Lol. He's recording that with a cellphone while driving. I wonder what will happen because of that?

Also, how did 3 brain dead truck drivers gather in a group like that?
It seems so improbable that 3 professional drivers would make that mistake, but if you had never used the interchange and were really inattentive, you can see how confusion might occur. After this sign, the next "left turn" is the off ramp from the Bypass. I do not believe there is any further signage until past the overpass.

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 7, 2019 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
It seems so improbable that 3 professional drivers would make that mistake, but if you had never used the interchange and were really inattentive, you can see how confusion might occur. After this sign, the next "left turn" is the off ramp from the Bypass. I do not believer there is any further signage until past the overpass.
The reaction to this (and other Bypass stories) on Twitter is amusing & predicable. The response is consistently, "well, at least someone is using the Bypass..."

As someone who backs the Ring Road between Albert/Lewvan, I can assure these folks that plenty of someones are using the Bypass. That, or the semi drivers are on strike. The silence in my backyard is deafening - largely just a steady hum of light cars & trucks.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 8:09 PM

Bypass is up on google maps.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Bypass is up on google maps.
Cool, but it still won't direct you that way even where it is obviously faster. The road is there but it is not registering the traffic.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

Google Maps is now giving directions on the Bypass.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Google Maps is now giving directions on the Bypass.
Coming from Saskatoon and going to my parents place should now be 2 km shorter and save me 5 minutes. Thank you bypass.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
Coming from Saskatoon and going to my parents place should now be 2 km shorter and save me 5 minutes. Thank you bypass.
It all adds up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan