HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:53 PM

been awhile since word about Site O also.. after these two it will be site O and the tallest one in the NE corner

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:49 PM
Ascension

So with Site O and the NE corner, Lakeshore East will be finished. I love LSE for what it is. I spent a lot of time there when I lived in CHicago and a high rise, self contained neighborhood in the middle of downtown is a interesting experience.

And when you think about it, it all started with ugly 400 E. Randolph 50 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:36 AM

Was around the site today. Looked like full crew drilling, pouring etc all day Saturday. If they're working 6+ days a week + top down construction, hopefully this will fly. (-> meant to post this on One Chicago Square (don't know how to delete))

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Aug 4, 2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Posted on wrong thread

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:41 PM
Urbane observer

Tried to post in the appropriate thread, but I guess on SSP once the construction crane comes down, no further comment is invited.

Blair Kamin's review of One Bennett Park in today's Tribune:

A celebrated New Yorker’s new Chicago tower: The height of urban living, but not the peak of skyscraper style
Seen through that clarifying lens, One Bennett Park, the first Chicago high-rise of celebrated New York architect Robert A.M. Stern, emerges as a mixed bag. This tradition-minded tower is easily superior to its mediocre modernist neighbors. It also comes with a prized amenity, a revamped pocket park, and some exquisite interiors. But the tower doesn’t match the skyline elan of the Art Deco and classically influenced skyscrapers that inspired it. It’s a case study in how difficult it can be, even for the most skillful of architects, to transform the designs of the past into a compelling new synthesis.
Owing to the presence of an underground garage beneath the aforementioned park, there is no hulking parking garage podium to blight the sidewalks. The tower comes straight down to the surrounding sidewalks and does much to enliven them with precisely honed, chamfered arcades of limestone as well as gracefully linear Art Deco decoration. Motor courts for the apartment and condo entrances (the former on the small street called Peshtigo Court, the latter on Grand) are a pleasure to behold even if you don’t own a Rolls-Royce to pull into them.

Higher up, though, the architecture is a disappointment, and not simply because of the materials.

While the broad outlines are solid — a mountain-like massing achieved by notched corners and setbacks that creates a kind of campanile for the area west of Navy Pier — God is not in several of the details. Stacks of dark metal window surrounds strive to create powerful vertical lines, but they resemble skin blotches. Between the surrounds, precast concrete panels bulge outward, a cosmetic visual trick. The overall effect is leaden instead of soaring, mannered rather than direct — a grid of windows tarted up with awkward applique.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 5:59 PM

167 N Green Twinssss Basil...Twinnssssss

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 9:54 PM

Beautiful. Can't wait to see them dance.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
167 N Green Twinssss Basil...Twinnssssss

[IMG]G]
lmaooo this really got me

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:23 PM

should provide some bulk for the burgeoning W Loop skyline

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Another drawing in the application shows it quite clearly. There is a driveway for cars that cuts thru the property. There will be 2 entrances next to that, not at the sidewalk section, but inside of the driveway portion. The driveway connects to a back alley (which has the loading docks). Most likely 1 entrance for the Hotel portion with another for the office portion. The sidewalk space will be no doubt for the eating and drinking establishments talked about in the application
Can you post the other drawing for 800 W Lake that shows the driveway and loading docks? I have only seen the south and east elevations that were posted here previously. Thanks

Also, does anyone know anything about North Park? These guys seem like they own a few 3 flats in Lake View and developing 222k sf hotel/residential building seems like a huge jump...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Looks like Bentham has finally resumed construction

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/8/1/...bentham-update
Just walked by the site, can confirm.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantlyMidway View Post
Can you post the other drawing for 800 W Lake that shows the driveway and loading docks? I have only seen the south and east elevations that were posted here previously. Thanks
Sure

Quote:
Also, does anyone know anything about North Park? These guys seem like they own a few 3 flats in Lake View and developing 222k sf hotel/residential building seems like a huge jump...
They have a few medium sized buildings in Chicago and also a sizable one in Indianapolis:
https://www.northparkventures.com/portfolio

Both of the co-founders were directors at Cedar Street previously. I think they are pretty small, but seems like the top guys have a bit of experience with this stuff. Guess we'll see.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:32 PM

Ken Griffin scored a renovation permit for his No. 9 Walton pad - at least 3 floors + the roof of it. Estimated cost of reconfiguration and first buildout = $8,115,410. So if true he'll be about $66M into it.

"REVISION TO PERMIT 100739836- RECONFIGURATION OF FIRST TIME BUILD OUT ON FLOORS 38, 39 AND 40TH/ROOF OF MULTIFLOOR, SINGLE-CONDO UNIT INCLUDING: ARCHITECTURAL, STRUCTURAL, MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING"

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:43 PM
The City

River North office developments in the works:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...e-feet-offices

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
River North office developments in the works:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...e-feet-offices
I just notice that their billboard was down yesterday.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:19 PM

^What is going on with all those random balconies? I like both proposed buildings otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 12:38 AM

As of today looks like we may get more buidlings start to pop up for proposals under this new lori lightfoot aro clause
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...2019.html.html

Qualified Allocation Plan
The 2019 Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP) will help City of Chicago's Department of Housing direct federal affordable housing funds where they are needed most.

No requirement for evidence of community or aldermanic support in early stages of the application process

This will be gold!!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
As of today looks like we may get more buidlings start to pop up for proposals under this new lori lightfoot aro clause
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...2019.html.html

Qualified Allocation Plan
The 2019 Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP) will help City of Chicago's Department of Housing direct federal affordable housing funds where they are needed most.

No requirement for evidence of community or aldermanic support in early stages of the application process

This will be gold!!!
I don't know enough to understand what this means. Can you provide a little more context for us, please?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Seems like (if the national economy doesn't crap out on us in the immediate term!....the bond market is certainly not signialling great things to come - but that may hold off for up to another ~year or potentially a bit longer) we are going to get a late-or-end-cycle uptick in high-rise starts over the next 6-9 months. There definitely has been a relative lull over the last year or so.....but I think there are a number of projects (not secret ones, we know of them!) that are on the cusp of launching in the next few quarters. A third (or fourth or fifth!) wind for this cycle, if you will....

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Seems like (if the national economy doesn't crap out on us in the immediate term!....the bond market is certainly not signialling great things to come - but that may hold off for up to another ~year or potentially a bit longer) we are going to get a late-or-end-cycle uptick in high-rise starts over the next 6-9 months. There definitely has been a relative lull over the last year or so.....but I think there are a number of projects (not secret ones, we know of them!) that are on the cusp of launching in the next few quarters. A third (or fourth or fifth!) wind for this cycle, if you will....
Yes that is exactly what is happening here! with developers knowing of a looming recession probably right before or after the election in 2020. We are beginning to see a dig in and hold on type of late market boom here look at all the lse bids going out and all the previously approved projects are gonna want to get in before the market is crap, that's why most new proposals are usually less that 50 floors the past year. We will probably even get the spire site to start before this cycle ends here. The economy will prob be up and down til after the election then it will rest for a year or two, but you are absolutely right lots of work in the near term of 2 years. Bombardier may have a say in this as well! but from my personal experience get ready for lots of construction sites and caissons!!!! I ownt name all the projects but theres easily upwards of 40 more towers of various heights excluding megaprojects proposed and approved that can start if they file for the permits rn! And lastly, With all the office projects and relocations coming online in the near and long term all those workers are going to need places to live. Now is the perfect time to get the projects in the ground that's what is starting to happen here!!!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:00 AM

Renelle on the River:

I forgot the name of this project, not sure I've seen it, but I walked up to it and saw that they did a nice job preserving the facade of a building it absorbed. Up close pictures failed to upload... :

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations