HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 8:46 PM

It'll be interesting to watch the hospitalizations vs cases in the next few weeks to see the affects of vaccinations and the likely milder omnicron. Even for the first part of the "fourth wave" most of cases have been driven by the un vaxxed.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:04 PM

I suspect when the chart is updated to end of 20201, we will see the Omicron surge.

https://twitter.com/tombrodbeck/stat...13749883703296

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I suspect when the chart is updated to end of 20201, we will see the Omicron surge.

https://twitter.com/tombrodbeck/stat...13749883703296

This is the most important chart, although I assume this weekly new admissions and not hospital/ICU census. Based on what is coming out of S. Africa, it appears that Omicron may be resulting in shorter hospital stays as well as far less admissions.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:55 PM

Not really clear what you meant there Stormer. But these are the numbers re: COVID from the Province.

The 2020 peak. 120 deaths in one week.... It was over 10 per day at that time. Astounding. The subsequent drops also coincides with vaccinations.

We're in the cause and effect stage where it's hard to tell based on numbers because of vaccination.

And then the small percent of you know who will cry out that "look its not even bad!!!".

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Not really clear what you meant there Stormer. But these are the numbers re: COVID from the Province.

The 2020 peak. 120 deaths in one week.... It was over 10 per day at that time. Astounding. The subsequent drops also coincides with vaccinations.

We're in the cause and effect stage where it's hard to tell based on numbers because of vaccination.

And then the small percent of you know who will cry out that "look its not even bad!!!".
My point is once Omicron kicks in, it would be nice to have a graph of the daily hospital and ICU admissions and a full census (numbers currently in hospital in hospital and ICU) to compare to prior waves. If omicron has shorter hospital stays, the differences should show.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:18 PM

Ah, yes. Of course.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

It'll be interesting to watch the hospitalizations vs cases in the next few weeks to see the affects of vaccinations and the likely milder omnicron. Even for the first part of the "fourth wave" most of cases have been driven by the un vaxxed.
We should really stop calling Omicron "milder", there is no concrete proof of that being the case. South Africa has been suggesting this but research out of the UK has suggested it is not mild.

Even if it were more mild and had a hospitalization rate half of delta, the transmissibility is so high we are about to see cases hitting 3 times any other wave we've ever had. We will likely be missing so many cases because we will be exceeding our testing capacity.

As you can see in Winnipeg, this is no longer the pandemic of the unvaccinated. The vaccinated will be spreading this almost as much as the rest. Even if their outcome is less severe, this poses a massive risk to the 0-5 population who are all unvaccinated and at risk of being infected more then ever. If you have kids, I suggest you keep them home with no visitors as long as you possibly can.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:33 PM

You might also suggest that the unvaccinated get vaccinated, since the vast majority of hospitalizations are unvaccinated.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:51 PM

There's a chart for that. let me find it.

Here it is:
https://twitter.com/CharlesTweed/sta...454464/photo/1

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
You might also suggest that the unvaccinated get vaccinated, since the vast majority of hospitalizations are unvaccinated.
I would pay an unreasonable amount to get my daughter vaccinated. Unfortunately, children 0-5 cannot be vaccinated and are at the mercy of this virus. Even the vaccinated need to continue to do their part until all population groups are eligible to be vaccinated. Only then can you leave the unvaxxed to suffer the consequences of their decisions.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:05 PM

Also, Bomberjet, those charts are old and only reflective of the delta variant in which the vaccine was really effective. Omicron appears to infect both populations almost proportionately. Today, the proportion of cases was 76% vaxxed and Manitoba is 78.2% vaxxed. That proportion has been growing since omicron was announced and we will likely, for a short period, see vaxxed with a higher rate of infection proportionally because omicron is in the city first and has a higher rate of vaxxed as compared to the rest of the province.

Bomberjet, I hope you can keep your child in a very small bubble through this wave. This is a scary time to be a parent of a young child.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I would pay an unreasonable amount to get my daughter vaccinated. Unfortunately, children 0-5 cannot be vaccinated and are at the mercy of this virus. Even the vaccinated need to continue to do their part until all population groups are eligible to be vaccinated. Only then can you leave the unvaxxed to suffer the consequences of their decisions.
I get the anxiety but I wouldn't worry about it too much when it comes to children... there have been 11 COVID deaths across Canada of children 11 and under. I get worrying if you have a sick newborn, but a healthy 3 year old, for example, should be fine.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Also, Bomberjet, those charts are old and only reflective of the delta variant in which the vaccine was really effective. Omicron appears to infect both populations almost proportionately. Today, the proportion of cases was 76% vaxxed and Manitoba is 78.2% vaxxed. That proportion has been growing since omicron was announced and we will likely, for a short period, see vaxxed with a higher rate of infection proportionally because omicron is in the city first and has a higher rate of vaxxed as compared to the rest of the province.

Bomberjet, I hope you can keep your child in a very small bubble through this wave. This is a scary time to be a parent of a young child.
Yeah that chart is up to the 14th. So pretty much the most up to date info we have I guess. Waiting to see how this looks in January.

Thank you for the kind words. My son is 2. Wife pregnant. All my family and friends have children under 5. 4 of them in the 3 month old range, including twins.

We're pretty much only going to see the grandparents and some select others this season. All at least double vaxed, some with booster. We're scheduled for booster Jan. 12, which is 5.5 months since 2nd dose.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get the anxiety but I wouldn't worry about it too much when it comes to children... there have been 11 COVID deaths across Canada of children 11 and under. I get worrying if you have a sick newborn, but a healthy 3 year old, for example, should be fine.
Thing is, with newborns, you don't really know much about them yet. Getting a severe respiratory disease at that age is life changing.

My son went for RSV vaccinations his first winter. 5, maybe 6 shots. One each month. Don't have that for COVID..

I bet most of these anti-vax type ass hats dont know about RSV vax. They would probably shit their pants at a 6 month old getting vaxed every month. Never mind the regular vaccines.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
That same argument was brought up to my wife as well and her reaction was the exact same as mine. In what world is success measured as not dying, especially when talking about children?

With huge proportions of "mild" covid cases resulting in "Long Covid", not enough is being discussed about the long term effects of covid.

If you want to do some doom scrolling, have a look at these informative twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah that chart is up to the 14th. So pretty much the most up to date info we have I guess. Waiting to see how this looks in January.

Thank you for the kind words. My son is 2. Wife pregnant. All my family and friends have children under 5. 4 of them in the 3 month old range, including twins.

We're pretty much only going to see the grandparents and some select others this season. All at least double vaxed, some with booster. We're scheduled for booster Jan. 12, which is 5.5 months since 2nd dose.
I'm glad you took it as intended, I remember you talking on here about your son when he was born. Congrats on having another, My wife is also pregnant with our second.

Give this a read if you'd like, maybe don't show your wife as it will just exacerbate the issue the article speaks to.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
That same argument was brought up to my wife as well and her reaction was the exact same as mine. In what world is success measured as not dying, especially when talking about children?

With huge proportions of "mild" covid cases resulting in "Long Covid", not enough is being discussed about the long term effects of covid.

If you want to do some doom scrolling, have a look at these informative twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing
I get that people want to protect their kids... I have young kids too. But it's important to remember that children, healthy ones (I realize it's not quite so straightforward when there are health complications involved) are not at great risk here. The death numbers are so low as to be nonexistent, the potential for falling bookshelves and TVs in your house probably pose a greater threat. But even the ICU and hospitalization numbers are quite low for kids 11 and under.

Now that said I wouldn't take unnecessary chances, I'm not going to take my kids Christmas shopping at the Winkler Superstore, for example. But assuming you are making reasonable efforts to protect your kids then I don't think you have much to worry about. Worry about elderly parents and other relatives, they're the ones far more likely to get clobbered.

As for Dr. Ding, I unfollowed him a long time ago. The sheer alarmism was too much to take. He is the one and only covid source I unfollowed for that reason. I'll check out the other one, though.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:21 AM

My employer announced today that effective Dec 22 all non essential office staff will be working form home again for the foreseeable future due to the Ormicom variant surge

My job is considered essential so I go back to working in a nearly empty office space again.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Pretty much this. It’s one thing if we’re talking about limiting spread to more vulnerable. But if you’re talking strictly about the dangers to children acquiring it and locking them up inside like the poster above. That’s not rational imo. Your child has a far greater risk of dying a motor vehicle accident bus have zero qualms about driving with them. You’re not evaluating risk rationally at that point. Like people who are afraid to fly but driving is no issue.

I understand wanting to protect your children but life is inherently risky. And people knowingly put children in far more risky situations than exposure to COVID without batting an eye.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 5:19 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
My employer announced today that effective Dec 22 all non essential office staff will be working form home again for the foreseeable future due to the Ormicom variant surge

My job is considered essential so I go back to working in a nearly empty office space again.
brutal.

i really didn't think we were going to go backwards again. So much for 'learning to live with the virus'.

I'm so over it. Its pretty clear many more of us are going to be infected now, (i still know so few people who have had it) but its also clear that if you are vaccinated, it wont be a problem. It's not like at the beginning when we thought everyone was going to die. We should have been adding capacity for the selfish antivaxers because this surrendering precious days on this earth for the sake of the health care system is getting old. We all played ball and got the jab. Fix the system and let us move on.

Last edited by trueviking; Dec 22, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan