HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Biotech sector to get boost from expanded biotherapeutics centre at TOH’s new Civic campus

David Sali, OBJ
May 7, 2024 10:57 AM ET

Medical researchers are hoping a world-class manufacturing facility at The Ottawa Hospital’s new Civic campus will help spawn homegrown biotech startups that develop groundbreaking treatments for cancer and other diseases. The federal government announced Monday it is giving The Ottawa Hospital a total of $59 million in grants to boost its capacity to create and manufacture vaccines and other biotherapeutics. About $47 million will go toward building and operating a biotherapeutics manufacturing hub at the new Civic campus that is slated to open in 2028.

Dr. John Bell, a senior scientist with the cancer therapeutics program at TOH, said he and his fellow researchers are hoping the new facility, which will contain about 10 suites suitable for developing treatments, can be up and running within the next couple of years. Bell said the new site will allow TOH to ramp up the work it’s been doing for the past 15 years at its current Biotherapeutics Manufacturing Centre, which specializes in developing treatments that use cells, genes, viruses and other biological materials to fight cancer, autoimmune diseases, heart disease and other conditions. “It’s going to be a huge asset,” said Bell. “What it does is it really bridges the gap between the discoveries we’re making at the (Ottawa Hospital Research Institute) and the ability to test them in people to make sure they’re actually doing what we want them to do.” Among the pioneering research conducted at TOH was the first Car-T therapy in Canada, which uses a patient's own immune cells to attack cancer. Bell said researchers at the hospital are also working on creating mNRA-based cancer-treating vaccines that can be “personalized” for each individual patient. “With the new revolution in sequencing of genetic information, we can now create tailored manufactured vaccines for individual people,” he explained. “I think that's going to be one of the major thrusts of the facility.” While Ottawa has already had some success as a biotechnology hub, Bell said the new state-of-the-art space should help accelerate the sector's growth.

The current Biotherapeutics Manufacturing Centre, which has about 40 full-time staff based at The Ottawa Hospital’s General campus, consistently operates at full capacity. Private-sector clients now have to wait months to access the facility, but Bell said many more opportunities will open up at the new Civic campus for researchers who wish to tap into Ottawa’s world-class talent and technology to develop treatments with commercial potential. That could help hatch a new generation of startups in the capital to complement local success stories such as Virica Biotech.

Virica Biotech uses TOH’s manufacturing facility to test its technology that optimizes viral vectors, which deliver new genes that are designed to repair defective genes responsible for diseases such as cancer, muscular dystrophy and hereditary blindness. The company, which employs more than 30 people, recently moved into a new research space at Carleton University. Bell said he expects Ottawa’s biotech ecosystem to blossom once the resources are in place to allow researchers to manufacture innovative medical treatments in larger quantities. “It’s one thing to have it in a test tube, but you have to really show that it can actually scale to large bioreactors,” he said. “Once you start manufacturing a product on location, companies are loath to move. We’d like to see these companies get anchored here in Ottawa and in Canada and prevent them from moving to the States. With the manufacturing capacity here, it’ll hopefully anchor the companies here.” A larger facility with the latest in cutting-edge technology will also draw more up-and-coming biotech talent to the region, he added. “A lot of these training programs for manufacturers are done on the web now, and you really can’t get the feel for it unless you’re doing it hands-on,” Bell said. “It’s going to be a huge boost.” TOH’s current manufacturing centre has been self-sustaining for years thanks to contracts with private-sector clients, he said. Treatments produced at the General campus are used around the world, and Bell said made-in-Ottawa biotherapeutics are poised to become even more prevalent. “We’re just going to build on that capacity,” he said.

https://obj.ca/biotech-sector-to-get...eutics-centre/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:26 AM

Parking lot is going up quick. Taken today:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:42 AM

Wow! Are those actual floor or just support beams?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

It looks like the IKEA furniture of parking garages... pre-fab pieces that just snap together. Where's the giant Allen key?

Seriously though, it does resemble the system depicted here:
https://www.cpci.ca/en/precast_solut...rking_garages/

Interestingly, the downloadable PDF on that page mentions that the City Of Ottawa Parking Garage on Laurier Ave is movable (p. 34).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:14 PM

A huge wall of parking structure is what they have chosen to be their road-side interface. Well, that will certainly beautify the area - not.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
A huge wall of parking structure is what they have chosen to be their road-side interface. Well, that will certainly beautify the area - not.
It's going to be one heck of a nice parking structure, to be fair.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ttee-1.6346809

Also, it won't always be road-side facing, once the research towers and (hopefully) a hotel is built.

https://engage.ottawa.ca/the-ottawa-...al-master-plan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:18 PM

Look at that image again, and imagine walking along Prince of Wales Drive. Until all of those trees grow to mask the wall - and we all know that all of the trees shown in artistic renderings ALWAYS get planted and thrive - what you will see is a 2- or 3-storey wall.

I find it hard to believe that barriers like this are acceptable. I think of the wall that now splits LeBreton Flats. How was that not made to be porus, in an area that was touted as being a future pedestrian-friendly area.

At least, this hospital parkade has a break - a car entrance/exit - midway along.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:57 PM

I don't think that many people walk along Prince of Wales. Here are the elevations.

Hoping the trees will do well. I think they are positioned well, planted in the ground (at least, the ones around the parking garage, not on the parking garage), some space between the trees and the road. I'm pretty confident this will look good, even before the trees grow to maturity.

https://www.ontarioconstructionnews....age-structure/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:34 PM

They should amp it up a level and let/encourage the structure get vined up, too.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Look at that image again, and imagine walking along Prince of Wales Drive. Until all of those trees grow to mask the wall - and we all know that all of the trees shown in artistic renderings ALWAYS get planted and thrive - what you will see is a 2- or 3-storey wall.

I find it hard to believe that barriers like this are acceptable. I think of the wall that now splits LeBreton Flats. How was that not made to be porus, in an area that was touted as being a future pedestrian-friendly area.

At least, this hospital parkade has a break - a car entrance/exit - midway along.
Didn't think of that, but you are right. It will be porous on top, but it really does create a barrier at street level.

There isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic there, but at least currently there is a bike path running along the side. It will definitely create a dead zone.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I don't think that many people walk along Prince of Wales. Here are the elevations.

Hoping the trees will do well. I think they are positioned well, planted in the ground (at least, the ones around the parking garage, not on the parking garage), some space between the trees and the road. I'm pretty confident this will look good, even before the trees grow to maturity.

https://www.ontarioconstructionnews....age-structure/
And in winter, years of poor landscaping care?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Didn't think of that, but you are right. It will be porous on top, but it really does create a barrier at street level. I imagine having the pathway go through the parking could have caused some safety issues.

There isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic there, but at least currently there is a bike path running along the side. It will definitely create a dead zone.
That was one of the complaints that wasn't resolved. People will have to bike/walk around the parking structure to get from the Trillium Pathway to PoW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And in winter, years of poor landscaping care?
Hopefully they have a good balance of coniferous and deciduous so some remain lush through the winter.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:36 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

That is moving quickly. I was at Dow's Lake less than a week ago and there was nothing but the stairwells.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hopefully they have a good balance of coniferous and deciduous so some remain lush through the winter.
Landowners in Ottawa in general need to get better about mixing up conifers and seasonal nudist trees.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:26 PM

if they were smart, they will plant fast-growing trees (such as an Autumn Blaze Maple, which I have in my back yard)...but I am sure they will plant Gingko Balboa or other trees that will take decades to mature ( I have one in front of my house, and I feed it Steroids every year...well, tree spikes)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 2:28 PM

Taken June 14, 2024

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:02 PM

I walk up and down the stairs at the Civic dozens of times a week while on service and I'm always stuck at how massive and thick the stairwell concrete is. I feel like it is the only part of the building that hasn't needed significant rehab in the 100 years since the hospital was built. It also makes me think about how hard it will be to tear down/crush some of those structure when the inevitably tear down portions of the hospital.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:15 PM

its going up quickly

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Biotech sector to get boost from expanded biotherapeutics centre at TOH’s new Civic campus

David Sali, OBJ
May 7, 2024 10:57 AM ET

Medical researchers are hoping a world-class manufacturing facility at The Ottawa Hospital’s new Civic campus will help spawn homegrown biotech startups that develop groundbreaking treatments for cancer and other diseases. The federal government announced Monday it is giving The Ottawa Hospital a total of $59 million in grants to boost its capacity to create and manufacture vaccines and other biotherapeutics. About $47 million will go toward building and operating a biotherapeutics manufacturing hub at the new Civic campus that is slated to open in 2028.

Dr. John Bell, a senior scientist with the cancer therapeutics program at TOH, said he and his fellow researchers are hoping the new facility, which will contain about 10 suites suitable for developing treatments, can be up and running within the next couple of years. Bell said the new site will allow TOH to ramp up the work it’s been doing for the past 15 years at its current Biotherapeutics Manufacturing Centre, which specializes in developing treatments that use cells, genes, viruses and other biological materials to fight cancer, autoimmune diseases, heart disease and other conditions. “It’s going to be a huge asset,” said Bell. “What it does is it really bridges the gap between the discoveries we’re making at the (Ottawa Hospital Research Institute) and the ability to test them in people to make sure they’re actually doing what we want them to do.” Among the pioneering research conducted at TOH was the first Car-T therapy in Canada, which uses a patient's own immune cells to attack cancer. Bell said researchers at the hospital are also working on creating mNRA-based cancer-treating vaccines that can be “personalized” for each individual patient. “With the new revolution in sequencing of genetic information, we can now create tailored manufactured vaccines for individual people,” he explained. “I think that's going to be one of the major thrusts of the facility.” While Ottawa has already had some success as a biotechnology hub, Bell said the new state-of-the-art space should help accelerate the sector's growth.

The current Biotherapeutics Manufacturing Centre, which has about 40 full-time staff based at The Ottawa Hospital’s General campus, consistently operates at full capacity. Private-sector clients now have to wait months to access the facility, but Bell said many more opportunities will open up at the new Civic campus for researchers who wish to tap into Ottawa’s world-class talent and technology to develop treatments with commercial potential. That could help hatch a new generation of startups in the capital to complement local success stories such as Virica Biotech.

Virica Biotech uses TOH’s manufacturing facility to test its technology that optimizes viral vectors, which deliver new genes that are designed to repair defective genes responsible for diseases such as cancer, muscular dystrophy and hereditary blindness. The company, which employs more than 30 people, recently moved into a new research space at Carleton University. Bell said he expects Ottawa’s biotech ecosystem to blossom once the resources are in place to allow researchers to manufacture innovative medical treatments in larger quantities. “It’s one thing to have it in a test tube, but you have to really show that it can actually scale to large bioreactors,” he said. “Once you start manufacturing a product on location, companies are loath to move. We’d like to see these companies get anchored here in Ottawa and in Canada and prevent them from moving to the States. With the manufacturing capacity here, it’ll hopefully anchor the companies here.” A larger facility with the latest in cutting-edge technology will also draw more up-and-coming biotech talent to the region, he added. “A lot of these training programs for manufacturers are done on the web now, and you really can’t get the feel for it unless you’re doing it hands-on,” Bell said. “It’s going to be a huge boost.” TOH’s current manufacturing centre has been self-sustaining for years thanks to contracts with private-sector clients, he said. Treatments produced at the General campus are used around the world, and Bell said made-in-Ottawa biotherapeutics are poised to become even more prevalent. “We’re just going to build on that capacity,” he said.

https://obj.ca/biotech-sector-to-get...eutics-centre/
Wonder if this will be in the hospital, or in one of the research towers.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 4:09 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Parking garage progress in the background. Not sure of the date:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...h-disabilities

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa