HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:28 AM

Is there any wiggle room in he RFP for the south perimeter re design to actually re route the highway? In other words, could the 2- year study propose an alternative route closer to the urban areas in SW Winnipeg.

Last edited by Hockey; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Is there any wiggle room in he RFP for the south perimeter re design to actually re route the highway? In other words, could the 2- year study propose an alternative route closer to the urban areas in SE winnipeg.
The city is already built out. Alternative would be bringing the inner ring up to high capacity freeway standards.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is there any wiggle room in he RFP for the south perimeter re design to actually re route the highway? In other words, could the 2- year study propose an alternative route closer to the urban areas in SE winnipeg.
There is nothing wrong with the SE perimeter. It's 59 Hwy west that needs extreme help.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:07 AM
BANNED

I still cannot believe the Government has not done anything about #59 north and the Perimeter. I thought they would have built a cloverleaf 10 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Where would this route run? SE Winnipeg is going to be serviced by the eventual extension of Bishop Grandin and link up with Plessis (or some road in that region). It wouldn't make sense to reroute Perimeter out that way.

Similarly, advocating for SW perimeter to cut in closer to "developped Winnipeg" neglects the fact that Winnipeg will spread out to that portion of the perimeter eventually, and that Bishop will be extended West to connect with a southern extension of ed schreyer parkway. The tentative inner beltway in the city will generally be within 2.5 - 5 km of perimeter which seems to be appropriate for the city's needs

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I still cannot believe the Government has not done anything about #59 north and the Perimeter. I thought they would have built a cloverleaf 10 years ago.
Take a spin out that way sometime...you may be a little surprised!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Take a spin out that way sometime...you may be a little surprised!
They finally finished it?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 12:55 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
They finally finished it?
The interchange has been under construction for two years now.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 5:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Bro...

...it's been under construction for nearly two years now.

As Reignman and jmt mentioned earlier, take a drive out around that section. It's a massive project!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Bro...

...it's been under construction for nearly two years now.

As Reignman and jmt mentioned earlier, take a drive out around that section. It's a massive project!
I do not live in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:26 PM
What could go wrong?

I have to say, after reading through the South Perimeter RFP it is very comprehensive on what they want. It covers every little intersection and involves 22 redeveloped and new interchange structures making it a complete, true freeway. I can't see that they missed anything. It will be interesting to see how/if it is implemented. They even want to get started on parts while the study could still be underway.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have to say, after reading through the South Perimeter RFP it is very comprehensive on what they want. It covers every little intersection and involves 22 redeveloped and new interchange structures making it a complete, true freeway. I can't see that they missed anything. It will be interesting to see how/if it is implemented. They even want to get started on parts while the study could still be underway.
Could the upcoming intersection improvements to 2 from 3 - 100 be part of that early start?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Where would this route run? SE Winnipeg is going to be serviced by the eventual extension of Bishop Grandin and link up with Plessis (or some road in that region). It wouldn't make sense to reroute Perimeter out that way.

Similarly, advocating for SW perimeter to cut in closer to "developped Winnipeg" neglects the fact that Winnipeg will spread out to that portion of the perimeter eventually, and that Bishop will be extended West to connect with a southern extension of ed schreyer parkway. The tentative inner beltway in the city will generally be within 2.5 - 5 km of perimeter which seems to be appropriate for the city's needs
Ed Schreyer Parkway is to connect Regent and Plessis. You're referencing the southern extension of the William R. Clement Parkway that is meant to go from Grant to Wilkes, and then from there to McGillivray Blvd. and eventually Bishop.

Ol' Bill's bones be spinnin' right now hearing him equated with a Dipper Premier!

BTW - the timeline for the WRCP Extension has been extended and there will be new meetings/consultations with the stakeholders and public this fall.

Was a bit confused reading this on the city's site:
"Phase I - Shorter-term

The recommended road network includes the extension of WRCP from Grant Avenue to a signalized intersection with the extension of SLP.
Phase II* - Longer-term

Future extension of WRCP from SLP to McGillivray Boulevard."

The Open House drawings showed a grade-separated intersection at Wilkes. Anyone have any insight as to what changed between the OH and now?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Bro...

[Lag and 59 interchange has] been under construction for nearly two over 40 years now.
Fixed it up a little for you. The "temporary" construction detour, aka the north set of lights, have been in place over 20 years now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Could the upcoming intersection improvements to 2 from 3 - 100 be part of that early start?
I would suspect so, given that the plan has been there for a couple of years. PTH 2 will have no connection to the Perimeter.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
I would suspect so, given that the plan has been there for a couple of years. PTH 2 will have no connection to the Perimeter.
I wonder if they would consider renumbering the part of 3 from 100 to 2/3?

Last edited by jmt18325; Aug 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 9:51 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Well, if it actually becomes part of policy then it will happen. The question is how long it will take them to actually implement any of it. Two years for functional design study and then 60 more years to actually implement it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:53 PM

If the HWY2/3 interchange on the Perimeter happens something also really needs to be done to make McGillivary to Wilkes limited access. The amount of access for essentially farmers fields in that stretch is unreasonable.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:30 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If the HWY2/3 interchange on the Perimeter happens something also really needs to be done to make McGillivary to Wilkes limited access. The amount of access for essentially farmers fields in that stretch is unreasonable.
It's unreasonable along the entirety of the Perimeter, not just that section. The quickest, cheapest way for the province to be its usual frugal self and increase safety by an order of magnitude would be to simply block off all those intersecting roads and leave only the signalized intersections. But then we'd need some sort of multi-million dollar study to tell us what any pair of eyes can see. How can we expect anything less from our diligent masters on Broadway?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
They are planning a interchange/diamond for Four Mile Rd - Wyper Rd and the Perimeter. That is about half way between Wilkes and McGillavray. I would assume for future development and east/west access at a reasonable interval.

In my estimation this would be one of the interchanges that would be last done due to its low priority.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan