Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:39 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Point?
Nothing it's just been a long time waiting, excited to have this thing get started.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMendigo View Post
After the Spire I'm not doing dancing bananas until I see a tower crane and a core rising. Even then I'll be suspicious until I see glass. *cough* waterview *cough*
Unless something messed up happens, this thing is being built. Don't try and compare the novices of Shellbourne to Dalian Wanda.

Dalian Wanda is THE largest developer in China and do close to $40B in revenue per year (i.e. slightly more revenue than Oracle does every year and nearly the same as Goldman Sachs). Their CEO is THE richest man in China and this is his first project in the US - a statement project. They've paid billions in cash for American and British companies in the last few years, including AMC Theater and Legendary Entertainment who made such movies as The Dark Knight, Hangover, Inception, Interstellar, etc. They easily have the cash on hand to pay for the entire thing themselves without taking out a loan from anybody.

Shellbourne are complete and utter amateurs compared to these guys - it's not even close. I didn't even mention Magellan in all of this either.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 10:45 PM

the bananas want to dance and they do not want to wait until construction ends

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Dalian Wanda is THE largest developer in China and do close to $40B in revenue per year....
I'm very familiar with Wanda. I'm in Madrid now and I'll point out that they just had major hiccups moving forward with two large developments here. One they had to completely abandon and another they had to downscale. I'd pin the blame for those on Madrid but let's not act like because Wanda is behind it that it's a sure thing. The Vista project already has many major advantages over the Madrid projects and I believe it will be built but part of me is always a pessimist.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:01 PM
The City

Quote:
I'm very familiar with Wanda. I'm in Madrid now and I'll point out that they just had major hiccups moving forward with two large developments here. One they had to completely abandon and another they had to downscale. I'd pin the blame for those on Madrid but let's not act like because Wanda is behind it that it's a sure thing. The Vista project already has many major advantages over the Madrid projects and I believe it will be built but part of me is always a pessimist.
^ I agree, but it would be nice to have more details on what happened in Madrid. Was it a structural/engineering problem with those? Was it political/zoning related? Was it financial?

I think the concerns with the Vista tower are financial, since that is the reason that Waterview and the Spire ended up fizzing out.

What everybody is concerned with here is likely the financial part, since there really are no zoning or likely engineering issues. And with that, Wanda Vista being insanely wealthy and Magellan having a solid track record gives us a lot less to worry about.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:12 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Ok, can you elaborate please?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What everybody is concerned with here is likely the financial part, since there really are no zoning or likely engineering issues. And with that, Wanda Vista being insanely wealthy and Magellan having a solid track record gives us a lot less to worry about.
Exactly, and as building a super tall high rise in the US is probably more attractive to a multi billionaire than Madrid (Madrid's an amazing city but this is more of a statement), I'm guessing they'll be doing what's in their power to make sure this thing happens. Wanda's development in Madrid is also a landmark building built in the late 40s/early 50s. What they're doing in Madrid is an afterthought to what they're doing in Chicago statement wise. I'm not worried one bit with Vista.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:07 PM

Field Blvd is closed and equipment is arriving.

Last edited by Kngkyle; Aug 8, 2016 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Field Blvd is closed and equipment is arriving.

http://i.imgur.com/B9LEtpB.jpg
I saw them unloading the concrete saw this morning. Looks like they are scoring the concrete to tear it up to move utilities. Why would they be carefully cutting it unless there are going to maybe save the roadway which would be kinda weird? I must be one of the last cars to drive on Field drive befor construction of this tower, kinda fun in a skyscraper nerd kinda way.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:01 PM

Gems #2

Whats up everyone, long time reader first time posting. Always look forward to reading your guys new and upcoming info. Hoepfully you can be nice enough to answer questions along the way for a rookie.

Has anyone seen the new Gems highschool commercials. They say starting in 2017. I assume they mean construcion, which is cool news. How complicated is it going to be to truck materials in on lower wacker for both this and vista into LSE?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:31 PM

^^^ Interesting, 2017 sounds right. I would think Magellan would rather have that site vacant for the entire construction process of Wanda, but they might not have that choice if they already signed binding agreements to deliver it to the school. In any case, I suspect they will have plenty of access on lower Wacker and staging space on Upper Wacker once they close down the dead end. We've seen the multilevel roads used in interesting ways for construction projects in the past. My guess is that all the concrete trucks will come in on lower wacker and rebar and large deliveries for the cranes will come in on upper wacker.

I can't believe no one has gone out there to check on this site since Monday. The last thing we saw was the delivery of the large bucket loader which usually shows up to move tailings from cassion drilling. What's going on right now?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Whats up everyone, long time reader first time posting. Always look forward to reading your guys new and upcoming info. Hoepfully you can be nice enough to answer questions along the way for a rookie.

Has anyone seen the new Gems highschool commercials. They say starting in 2017. I assume they mean construcion, which is cool news. How complicated is it going to be to truck materials in on lower wacker for both this and vista into LSE?
HS will start in existing building while the new one is under construction. Was told that the II will begin soon. But that's from one of their internal people, not sure if that was an honest answer

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.chi View Post
HS will start in existing building while the new one is under construction. Was told that the II will begin soon. But that's from one of their internal people, not sure if that was an honest answer
I heard construction will begin "soon" over 6 months ago.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:01 PM

More equipment on site. No heavy activity or CASE branded equipment yet. Surveyors are marking up the site. There are a number of utility poles and boxes that still need to be removed.

https://imgur.com/a/7X0Rw

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 8:43 PM

Not quite banana time yet

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 4:04 PM

Site prep seems to be getting underway.
Earth movies have multiplied and they're pushing around dirt. Seems like they're getting ready ot take down the existing utility poles.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 5:21 PM

R.I.P. Utility poles

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 6:08 PM
Windy City Dan

Vista is going to be so interesting to watch on so many levels, but the engineering is going to be a special treat I think. How many cores is this building going to have since it's straddling a roadway? Obviously the main core is going on the west side of the street, but will there be a second one on the east side as well?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:32 PM

Lots of activity today.

https://imgur.com/a/DY58Y

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:58 PM

These are some newer (i think) renderings on Redfin.

Few more - https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/36...home/105505129

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture