HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I think the NCC should forbid commercial naming rights for the arena as part of the negotiations and insist that it be named after Lord Stanley, with a small (and free) permanent exhibit component on the Cup's history. That should make it a constant reminder to hockey fans where the Cup is from, more than a monument, and count for some "National Significance".
Probably not going to happen. Once Joe Louis closes, only one arena will be void of a corporate name; Madison Square Garden. Every single other venue is named for a corporate sponsor.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:58 PM

Not excited that Trinity is in charge of the retail and Brigil is a part of the team. I think I've only seen one Brigil development I actually like.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Probably not going to happen. Once Joe Louis closes, only one arena will be void of a corporate name; Madison Square Garden. Every single other venue is named for a corporate sponsor.
Agree, it will not happen and not only arena naming rights have been sold but almost every major facility, the Convention Centre which is owned by the province is now called the Shaw Centre, the EY Centre, TD Place and the baseball stadium is called Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton Park (like anyone is going to remember the name, waste of naming rights in my opinion).

Naming rights to public transit station is the next big thing, it already been done in Las Vegas and Philadelphia, maybe the will start selling the naming rights to a few of the major LRT stations, I'm all for it if it bring in money to the city and reduces our tax burden.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Chosen RendezVous group could add aquarium to LeBreton development
That was my favourite item from the Devcore group with the exception of the arena, if they could add a Rippley's aquarium, this would be amazing.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It's all about personal opinion I guess, but I personally never found many of the devcore attractions particularly exciting. They struck me as the kinds of things kids get dragged to on field trips.
In 1987.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods View Post
That was my favourite item from the Devcore group with the exception of the arena, if they could add a Rippley's aquarium, this would be amazing.
Agreed! But it doesn't sound like Devcore wants any part of sharing it as they still think they have a chance at this. Maybe once they investigate the finances behind Melnyk, and the actual cost of the project, they may be back in the picture. But I would think that Devcore would be powerless to this revision?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 6:42 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Is there some limitation that prevents RV from changing its proposal in any manner that could be perceived as "stealing" from the DC proposal? In other words, does DC have some sort of "exclusivity" on the "aquarium at Lebreton" idea?

Quote:
Maybe once they investigate the finances behind Melnyk, and the actual cost of the project, they may be back in the picture.
I think this is a red herring. Melnyk himself is an incredibly wealthy man, he has major backers working with him, and they should have no issue finding lenders to fund them. The only way I see this falling apart is in negotiations, not because of a lack of financial wherewithal.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:33 PM

Not a fan of aquarium idea.
Would love a Planetarium and some sort of Exploratorium instead.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
not a fan of aquarium idea.
Would love a planetarium and some sort of exploratorium instead.
+1...

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:54 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Interesting why Devcore Group would speak out like this right now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa

CBC Ottawa
1 min

BREAKING: The group behind the rival bid to the Ottawa-Senators led Rendez Vous LeBreton group says they are "perplexed" at how the NCC made their decision.

In a letter to the National Capital Commission, the Devcore, Canderel and DLS Group says they will remain in the process for now, but questioned how the NCC arrived at its decision.
More to come.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:14 PM

[QUOTE=BlueJay;7431151]Interesting why Devcore Group would speak out like this right now.

Probably planning to lobby cabinet to overturn NCC decision.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:22 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, offer them the federal Bayview and Oak St lands as a consolation prize and see what they propose.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:26 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

NCC just tweeted 4x:

1) We stand by the integrity of the competitive solicitation process
2) Entire process was monitored by the fairness monitors, who deemed it fair, impartial, and transparent
3) We understand DCDLS' disappointment, but RV ranked highest and obtained right to negotiate first
4) Competitive process is ongoing. Should NCC not reach agreement with RV, it can negotiate with DCDLS

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:05 PM

NCC should release the scores.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoods View Post
Naming rights to public transit station is the next big thing, it already been done in Las Vegas and Philadelphia, maybe the will start selling the naming rights to a few of the major LRT stations, I'm all for it if it bring in money to the city and reduces our tax burden.
This is off topic, but eww. Would you also sell out your street name? Who needs Elgin St. when the city can make a quick buck and make it Pepsi St.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:17 PM

I think Devcore saw this as a design competition, so they put a lot of effort into having really good renders and including a dog's breakfast of uses and didn't put much effort into demonstrating the viability of the business model, which they probably saw something that would come after the design competition. The selection committee clearly paid a lot more attention to such things.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
NCC should release the scores.
I agree. As far as I am concerned the math doesn't add up. If we subtract the differences between the proposals we have:

RV:
-more condos
-covered track

Devcore:
-Museums
-botanical garden walkway
-aquarium
-urban beach
-other attractions

From those differences, to say that a covered track or condo towers (tried and failed at lebreton) is nationally significant is preposterous. The decision was obviously biased towards having the sens downtown. In that case why even have a debate, just give the land to the sens.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
I agree. As far as I am concerned the math doesn't add up. If we subtract the differences between the proposals we have:

RV:
-more condos
-covered track

Devcore:
-Museums
-botanical garden walkway
-aquarium
-urban beach
-other attractions

From those differences, to say that a covered track or condo towers (tried and failed at lebreton) is nationally significant is preposterous. The decision was obviously biased towards having the sens downtown. In that case why even have a debate, just give the land to the sens.
I don't think anything in either proposal would counted as "nationally significant" - that's a buzzword the NCC likes to throw around that can mean anything.

I agree the scores should be released, but the fact that devcore named more different types of uses doesn't mean it got a higher score. The scoring also may have rated things like practicality, financial feasibility, clearly defined partners, likelihood to generate activity, connectivity, sustainability, etc.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:22 PM

The review committee also preferred RV's street grid for doing a better job of knitting the Flats back into the City (and hopefully paying back some of the "ethical debt" from the failure of the expropriation-without-renewal that MK mentioned in his remarks)

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:28 PM

The scores are being released once they are submitted and reviewed by cabinet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa