HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 1:00 AM
Verticle

BUILDING HEIGHT DEFINITIONS

I know that posting this is controversial and ive been beaten up over it on other threads by people thinking that if you live in a small town then a 6 story building is a skyscraper...heres the defined nomenclature;

Low-rise buildings are defined as buildings with 4 floors or under. Mid-rise buildings are defined as buildings that have between 5 to 12 floors. High-rise buildings are defined as buildings that have 13 floors or above. Skyscrapers are buildings with over 40 floors and are considered part of the high-rise category.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
I’d imagine LA density and much higher population demands for high rise builds far beyond their downtown. SLC is not that type of city that has a demand for high rises beyond downtown like your NYC, LA, Miami, etc.
I think you’d be surprised at how much underutilized space there is in and around downtown LA, not at all like sf. I think while population / demand are of course lower here than LA, entirely ruling out connecting, high density auto corridors from popping up is a little shortsighted. In cities like ours, cars will remain the preferred mode of transit for years to come, and when that’s the case I think convenience and travel time is often more of a motivator than actual free space. This makes spaces right along traffic arteries more desirable than ones even slightly less accessible by car or out in the sea of houses. You see it a little on state st, Reno’s Virginia st, and a lot on Phoenix’s central ave and of course wilshire in LA. The most extreme example is possibly the strip in vegas, there’s of course anomalies and differences there though

I feel that slc and LA are never recognized enough for their developmental and locational similarities — while lots of people love the idea of us evolving into something more eastern in form, our urban fabric is really stacked against it. If we want a realistic view into what slc will look like 50 years from now, I think looking to postindustrial, pre-automotive, western railroad cities is the move

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 3:39 AM

Astra Tower

Has anyone noticed glass is being installed on the second story of The Astra Tower. I think its too early to really tell how it will look but good to see the tower is progressing nicely.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 3:39 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post
I think you’d be surprised at how much underutilized space there is in and around downtown LA, not at all like sf. I think while population / demand are of course lower here than LA, entirely ruling out connecting, high density auto corridors from popping up is a little shortsighted. In cities like ours, cars will remain the preferred mode of transit for years to come, and when that’s the case I think convenience and travel time is often more of a motivator than actual free space. This makes spaces right along traffic arteries more desirable than ones even slightly less accessible by car or out in the sea of houses. You see it a little on state st, Reno’s Virginia st, and a lot on Phoenix’s central ave and of course wilshire in LA. The most extreme example is possibly the strip in vegas, there’s of course anomalies and differences there though

I feel that slc and LA are never recognized enough for their developmental and locational similarities — while lots of people love the idea of us evolving into something more eastern in form, our urban fabric is really stacked against it. If we want a realistic view into what slc will look like 50 years from now, I think looking to postindustrial, pre-automotive, western railroad cities is the move
LA still has significant density miles and miles outside downtown, tho.

Salt Lake's metro density is abysmal. Even places like SugarHouse, though getting better with the multi-family buildings going up, are not remotely dense.

The difference between the Salt Lake and LA regions are twofold:

1. Salt Lake's density, even in the central communities, is more similar to places like Phoenix and Boise than San Francisco and Los Angeles. That's to say, there are some urban neighborhoods but not a lot and outside of pockets, most the detached housing sits largely on decent-sized lots. In fact, much of Salt Lake's urban core would be considered more outer-city neighborhoods for larger cities that are predominantly filled with apartments and rowhouses - not single-family, detached homes.

Los Angeles, though, is a bit of a mix, and certainly there are areas closer to downtown that fit this bill - but that is also a byproduct of the same issue that you kind of touched on and has impacted a lot of the west's growth: the fact many of these cities grew up around the automobile - especially neighborhoods on the west side. Look at that photo I posted a few days ago of SLC in the 1940s or so. You can see how undeveloped the west side was. Now it's got a huge chunk of the city's population. Even Central City is dominated by auto-oriented housing and again, while it's getting better, it's still an issue.

2. The amount of tolerance for multifamily development drops significantly the further you go out to the suburbs. Remember the whole hubbub over this development in Herriman:

People protested the fuck out of it because it was too urban. THAT - too urban lmao

Outside very small pockets, mostly located in non-residential areas, multifamily, large-scale development is still a slow-trickle for most of the suburbs.

LA is a different beast because it's so large. And certainly they have their share of NIMBYs - but it's not a surprise that most any major multi-family development is going up in Salt Lake City and not 10 miles south of it.

In LA, 10 miles south of downtown is still LA, so the overall support and mindset of the city bleeds over there - even if you run into a ton of NIBMYs (especially in the more affluent areas).

Look at the old Cottonwood Mall site. Cottonwood Mall was demolished in 2008 - FIFTEEN YEARS AGO - and it went from this in 2007ish even before the mall was officially demolished:

To this in 2014:

To this in 2018:

To finally this - I think:

It got progressively worse with each iteration.

That's the headwinds you are dealing with outside Salt Lake. To be honest, what you're seeing in SugarHouse right now and other areas of the city would not happen anywhere else in the valley. The people would rise up and burn the whole city down if needed. It's why, even today, a good chunk of the growth we see is still single-family, detached housing out in places like Daybreak. Daybreak is very limited on these larger developments.

The big problem with the Salt Lake area is that everything takes too damn long and oftentimes, when the development begins, it's much smaller than originally proposed. See the Cottonwood Mall site - or the residential towers they were going to build out in Sandy. Anyone remember that?

That was scaled down to this in 2018:

Guess what? It's 2023 and nothing like that has even been built yet. Neither is this, which was proposed in 2019 in their Sandy Cairns District:

Even that development on State in South Salt Lake has been scaled back considerably over the years - and South Salt Lake is basically SugarHouse-light.

My point? Salt Lake has a long ways to go before we see consistent urban development outside the city. Even places like LA are lightyears ahead of us.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixg View Post

I agree with your points on LA and SLC being car centric. And your right development in western cities is concentrated around the auto corridors. As you pointed out the only western town that you could really argue is not car centric is San Francisco. In my prior post I was more speaking on population density and how it relates to building height away from downtown. LA population density is 8.5 thousand people per square mile. Salt Lake is 1.8 thousand per square mile (granted this is skewed due to all the open land east and west of SLC developed areas. Along Wilshire there are several “nodes” away from downtown with high rise and skyscraper buildings by Dallas’s definitions. To Comrades point you don’t get that sort of height in SLC away from downtown and we probably will not anytime soon. LA and SLC are similar in being car centric, but if you pan around LA in google earth in 3D mode near and around downtown, then do the same in SLC, you’ll see how much more built up LA is compared to SLC

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 6:46 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
I agree with your points on LA and SLC being car centric. And your right development in western cities is concentrated around the auto corridors. As you pointed out the only western town that you could really argue is not car centric is San Francisco. In my prior post I was more speaking on population density and how it relates to building height away from downtown. LA population density is 8.5 thousand people per square mile. Salt Lake is 1.8 thousand per square mile (granted this is skewed due to all the open land east and west of SLC developed areas. Along Wilshire there are several “nodes” away from downtown with high rise and skyscraper buildings by Dallas’s definitions. To Comrades point you don’t get that sort of height in SLC away from downtown and we probably will not anytime soon. LA and SLC are similar in being car centric, but if you pan around LA in google earth in 3D mode near and around downtown, then do the same in SLC, you’ll see how much more built up LA is compared to SLC
Salt Lake County: 1,500/sq mi
Los Angeles County: 2,430/sq mi

Both counties skew lower due to having huge swaths of the land area vacant - but Los Angeles County absolutely has way more vacant land than Salt Lake and it has a higher density overall:

So, I agree. They're the same but different - by a lot lol

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 10:12 AM

I could see the prison redevelopment getting some proper high-rises, considering the attention and investment they're receiving from the state.

But Comrade is right. When you get outside of Salt Lake City, any tolerance for true urban living is very limited. West Valley City's core couldn't get anything more than that 9 or 10-story office building. South Salt Lake's "downtown" is turning out to be a joke, and they've developed a reputation for being difficult to deal with. As Comrade mentioned, all of Sandy's proposals for taller buildings have fallen through. Even Sugarhouse hasn't managed to get anything over 8 stories yet, and you can feel the backlash against the apartment boom there growing.

The most promising area I can think of to get that kind of development besides PotM is maybe Millcreek's city center - certainly they have been much better than South Salt Lake at creating a true urban core. But I still don't envision anything more than 8 stories there in the immediate future. Daybreak hasn't really built out their "downtown" core yet - maaaaybe they could get something taller, but I doubt that too.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 2:50 AM

The city really is vibrant for All Star Weekend. Just shows you a sneak peak of how much untapped potential SLC has. If you haven't made it downtown yet I'd try to go see it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 4:11 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
The city really is vibrant for All Star Weekend. Just shows you a sneak peak of how much untapped potential SLC has. If you haven't made it downtown yet I'd try to go see it.
It's fantastic we have that arena downtown. Could you imagine if it was in the burbs?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
It's fantastic we have that arena downtown. Could you imagine if it was in the burbs?
Would never host the NBA all star again if it was in the burbs, can guarantee you that

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 3:59 PM

I'm still surprised SLC has hosted twice before Portland has even hosted once

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 7:54 PM

Sandy Development

Comrad, I went to the announcement party for those highrises you mentioned many years ago and I remember they were to be about 35 floors high if I remember right. And to this day absolutely nothing has been built on their sight as far as I know.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 8:26 PM

Paxton Place (215 W Paxton Ave) - Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 215 W Paxton Ave

The Basics: 7 floors (5 over 2) 146 residential units. 101 parking stalls. 0.67 acres.

Project Elevations:

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 9:20 PM
Lahaina Strong

Various DABS projects.

I saw mention of the new SLC DABS breaking ground somewhere around here. Most recent info expects an opening of mid-2024.

Apologies if it's been posted here already, it it has I missed it. Here's DABS warehouse expansion they are asking the legislature to authorize bonds.

Last edited by Paniolo Man; Feb 20, 2023 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 9:32 PM

I was looking at the new tallest buildings for states with such under construction and SLC was at the bottom of the list. I'm pretty sure the Wasatch Front has ~2.8 million people and yet we still don't have a 500+ footer. Excited about Astra but it looks like Boise has a proposed building that is 40 stories and Astra is only 39. When will SLC catch up with the rest of the US? Omaha and Des Moines have smaller populations than the SLC metro and yet they have 600 footers.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 9:47 PM
Lahaina Strong

SLCC wants state money to make their business building look goofy.

More from various committee presentations. SLCC would like to renovate their business building and encase half of it in glass.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
I was looking at the new tallest buildings for states with such under construction and SLC was at the bottom of the list. I'm pretty sure the Wasatch Front has ~2.8 million people and yet we still don't have a 500+ footer. Excited about Astra but it looks like Boise has a proposed building that is 40 stories and Astra is only 39. When will SLC catch up with the rest of the US? Omaha and Des Moines have smaller populations than the SLC metro and yet they have 600 footers.
A variation of this statement has been posted here about once every quarter year since the inception of the site and thread.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Well SLC is a really boring a$$ city according to Charles Barkley and Shaq (I don’t agree because of my love of the outdoors)…so maybe we just like to keep things boring

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Well SLC is a really boring a$$ city according to Charles Barkley and Shaq (I don’t agree because of my love of the outdoors)…so maybe we just like to keep things boring
I saw that on the tribune... Turns out the All-Star may have done more negatives for the city's reputation than anticipated... I went to the Dunk Contest on Saturday night and I was very surprised at how empty it was. It was probably 3/4 full. Most Jazz games are more full compared to this.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 1:14 AM

Quote:
I saw that on the tribune... Turns out the All-Star may have done more negatives for the city's reputation than anticipated... I went to the Dunk Contest on Saturday night and I was very surprised at how empty it was. It was probably 3/4 full. Most Jazz games are more full compared to this.
LOL. Nah, the reputation is just the same. It's been that way for years. I'm certain SLC has improved dramatically since the first ASG 30 years ago, but stereotypes will continue to remain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West