HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 11:26 PM

Hundreds of feet long with no street engagement.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 11:29 PM

Astra Tower

Windows are being installed in the Astra Tower!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
My guess is they still intend to build the tower, but they wanted the demo completed as fast as possible just to end the constant attacks and controversy.
All the “attacks and controversy” were justified.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:03 PM

This was posted over on the Provo MSA thread since it will be located at the former Micron facility. I think it will be one of those expansions that will raise all boats particularly in and around the Point. As if Southern Salt Lake and Northern Utah Counties weren't growing fast enough. I think 'The Point Development's' future is pretty well secured. Hopefully, this will also spill over into the Downtown Sector, especially if Hatman's dreams come true. This will help to speed up the transportation development infrastructure such as double tracking and light rail into Utah County. Announcements like this along with a 2034 Olympics will further the move of the Wasatch Front into the rarified climes of boomtown metros of this century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Utah strikes deal with Texas Instruments for $11 billion expansion in Lehi
Deseret News Feb 15 2023

Looks like TI has big plans for the semiconductor fab they recently bought from Micron.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 16, 2023 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:05 PM

I don't love these. BUT I'm kind of glad we're edging upward, getting 12 story buildings that are meh instead of 5 story buildings that are meh. Those Denver buildings are very interesting and very pretty, but they're the outliers. Hopefully we will get a few gems amid the clutter. YES I'm a defeatist.

Quote:
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 336 S 300 E

The Basics: 12 floors 125 feet tall. 246 residential units.

Project Description(from developer): Overland Group is seeking to develop parcels 16063280280000 & 16063270010000 into a Type 1 twelve story multi-family residential building. The project is seeking Design Review to allow 125’ height exception and has already undergone two Pre-Submittal meetings, and had preliminary meetings with Public Utilities. Simultaneously, the project will be pursuing exception from Planned Development for rear setback and open space requirements.

The “OVERLAND on third” project will consist of a three-level parking garage (1 level below grade, 2 above) podium, an amenity plaza at level 3, and a rooftop amenity deck with pool, hot tub, and community garden. The project is currently targeting 250 units and consists of a diverse range of unit types (see figure 1 for unit type breakdown). The building will front 300 East with ground floor occupied program space to shield the garage from the sidewalk. Ground floor amenities include the tenant leasing office, lobby, mail room, and retail space. The fitness center overlooks the sidewalk at Level 2.

Building elevations etc:

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:02 PM

Astra Live

Maybe crane work today? Anyway, I'll leave it live. Come by and watch and chat:

https://youtube.com/live/10zOqRteqnA

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 9:00 PM

Looks like they're starting construction on the new liquor store on Edison Street and 300 South. They're ripping up the parking lot there today.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 9:04 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Looks like they're starting construction on the new liquor store on Edison Street and 300 South. They're ripping up the parking lot there today.
Asphalt into wine: a true Utah miracle.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Address: 380 W 1700 S

The Basics: 7 floors (6 plus 1-floor mezzanine parking level). 75 feet tall. 179 units (107 studios, 52 1-bed, 20 2-bed). 146 parking stalls. No retail. 0.9 acres.

Project Summary (from developer):
17th Apartments is a proposed 179-unit apartment project located at 380 W 1700 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84115. The proposed building will be located on several consolidated parcels that equate to a 0.9-acre site. The building will have a mix of studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom units throughout the 7-story structure.

This design review application is to ask for a modification to the Maximum Height limit.

[CENTER]
This is abysmal, especially for a street that is actually becoming interesting. And it looks like it would displace the Polish bakery that's there.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I don't love these. BUT I'm kind of glad we're edging upward, getting 12 story buildings that are meh instead of 5 story buildings that are meh. Those Denver buildings are very interesting and very pretty, but they're the outliers. Hopefully we will get a few gems amid the clutter. YES I'm a defeatist.
I agree, at least we’re edging upwards. We’ll get some more gems in the pipeline, just a matter of time.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 10:58 PM

Almost everything multi-family residential here in the Central area of L.A. or adj. to Downtown is in this same range of height. Here though they can get away with 100% stucco. There will be variations of color, but no brick or other diverse material like you'll find in Salt Lake. Occasionally you'll get a dab of something else but it's the exception. The styles and designs are pretty much the same as Salt Lake. Downtown, the Wilshire Corridor or specific nodes such as Century City you'll see the highrises. Over time we'll see high rises going up in nodes like Murray, South Salt Lake etc. I think State Street over time will become more of a mid and high-rise corridor like Wilshire here in L.A.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 11:10 PM

The Polish bakery / catering shop has been planning a move to West Jordan so at least they have a plan.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Almost everything multi-family residential here in the Central area of L.A. or adj. to Downtown is in this same range of height. Here though they can get away with 100% stucco. There will be variations of color, but no brick or other diverse material like you'll find in Salt Lake. Occasionally you'll get a dab of something else but it's the exception. The styles and designs are pretty much the same as Salt Lake. Downtown, the Wilshire Corridor or specific nodes such as Century City you'll see the highrises. Over time we'll see high rises going up in nodes like Murray, South Salt Lake etc. I think State Street over time will become more of a mid and high-rise corridor like Wilshire here in L.A.
I’m not sure we’ll ever see the high rises extending down to Murray. We’ll continue to see some density in the 5-8 story range that far south in the valley, but it won’t be wall-to-wall like a “big city” feel. So much space is still available in SLC closer to downtown to build high rises. Don’t see that changing anytime soon with the giant parking lots sitting there. I’d imagine LA density and much higher population demands for high rise builds far beyond their downtown. SLC is not that type of city that has a demand for high rises beyond downtown like your NYC, LA, Miami, etc. Where you’re right is they are building “nodes” in Murray already along tracks but they are in the 5-8 story range. The exception might be the Point where they seem hell bent on building a second downtown. I should point out too my idea of high rise is 300 ft plus or so

Last edited by TheGeographer; Feb 16, 2023 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 1:25 AM

Just saw this press release about the official opening of 2 hotels in the West Quarter. Le Meridian and Element.

Element Hotels and Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts – part of Marriott Bonvoy®’s extraordinary portfolio of 30 brands, together with The Ritchie Group and Garn Development, Utah-based commercial real estate development companies, announce the opening of Le Méridien Salt Lake City Downtown and Element Salt Lake City Downtown. The dual-branded property commemorates Element’s milestone 100th global opening and its first in Salt Lake City, complementing its location in Moab, Utah. The property also marks the first Le Méridien in Utah, and the first hotel with an expansive rooftop bar in the market. This first-ever combination of the two distinctly unique brands is managed by Azul Hospitality Group, a San Diego-based hospitality management platform that provides an innovative approach to maximizing performance.

The property is located in The West Quarter, a new mixed-used development which connects two halves of downtown with a mid-block pedestrian road called Quarter Row. In addition to Le Méridien and Element Salt Lake City Downtown, The West Quarter offers easy access to a plethora of shopping, dining, and entertainment experiences in the heart of Salt Lake City’s Warehouse District.

Le Méridien Salt Lake City Downtown features 144 sophisticated rooms and suites, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows with city views and emerald tile-adorned showers. Curated with design-forward and custom-made décor inspired by the brand’s celebrated mid-century modern flair, accommodations are a nod to the brand’s distinctive heritage and provide guests with the Le Méridien signature plush bed, Malin + Goetz bath amenities, and illy coffee.

Element Salt Lake City Downtown offers 126 sustainable and bright rooms and suites with city view floor-to-ceiling windows, fully equipped kitchens, spacious spa-like bathrooms with eco-conscious amenities, and the signature Heavenly® beds. Accommodations feature ergonomic design elements with modern touches and relaxing earth-toned colors. Guests are treated to a complimentary daily Rise breakfast and a Relax evening reception. As part of the brand’s collaboration with Lettuce Grow, a nationally recognized leader of hydroponic gardening, travelers will have direct access to free, farm-fresh produce and herbs. Guests can collect their own green selections from an on-property Lettuce Grow Farmstand for use in their Rise breakfast or to bring back to their own in-room kitchens.

https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=300842

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
I’m not sure we’ll ever see the high rises extending down to Murray. We’ll continue to see some density in the 5-8 story range that far south in the valley, but it won’t be wall-to-wall like a “big city” feel. So much space is still available in SLC closer to downtown to build high rises. Don’t see that changing anytime soon with the giant parking lots sitting there. I’d imagine LA density and much higher population demands for high rise builds far beyond their downtown. SLC is not that type of city that has a demand for high rises beyond downtown like your NYC, LA, Miami, etc. Where you’re right is they are building “nodes” in Murray already along tracks but they are in the 5-8 story range. The exception might be the Point where they seem hell bent on building a second downtown. I should point out too my idea of high rise is 300 ft plus or so
I agree, although I think the generally accepted definition of high rise is in the 12+ story range (up to 100 meters or so, when most people would probably start considering them skyscrapers). I think we'll see nodes with that height (maybe if South Salt Lake ever gets their shit together, or in WVC/Sandy/prison redevelopment etc) but it will continue filling in much more around Salt Lake City before expanding out too much.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:55 PM

Astra Crane

It's for sure being expanded today--I saw a piece in the air as I got to work this morning. Here's the streaming link:

https://youtube.com/live/6wakO0Bm_yE?feature=share

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
It's for sure being expanded today--I saw a piece in the air as I got to work this morning. Here's the streaming link:

https://youtube.com/live/6wakO0Bm_yE?feature=share
Thank you for the consistent updates! Very interesting to watch the construction process.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I agree, although I think the generally accepted definition of high rise is in the 12+ story range (up to 100 meters or so, when most people would probably start considering them skyscrapers). I think we'll see nodes with that height (maybe if South Salt Lake ever gets their shit together, or in WVC/Sandy/prison redevelopment etc) but it will continue filling in much more around Salt Lake City before expanding out too much.
If we are saying 12+ stories is a high rise, then I agree we’ll see some more nodes around the valley start to pop up with buildings in that range.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 8:30 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakben View Post
Maybe crane work today? Anyway, I'll leave it live. Come by and watch and chat:

https://youtube.com/live/10zOqRteqnA
There was an issue with one of the anchor points that required they fly in a new part. That set things back a day, but the crane has been jumping since shortly before 9:00 AM today. Fascinating to watch.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 8:34 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
If we are saying 12+ stories is a high rise, then I agree we’ll see some more nodes around the valley start to pop up with buildings in that range.
Maybe in 30 or so years.

Even 12+ feels like it's a stretch. To put that into perspective, here's every building at or over 12 stories outside Salt Lake City's limits:

Intermountain Medical Center (16 stories) - Murray - 2007

I think that's it. Not even the Mountain America building out in Sandy is 12 stories (I believe it comes in at 11):

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West