HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:52 AM

I always thought it seemed weird when they relocated the West Broadway store, but now this makes sense. Same with the HQ. I hope they don't chop a lot of staff here

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I always thought it seemed weird when they relocated the West Broadway store, but now this makes sense. Same with the HQ. I hope they don't chop a lot of staff here
I think the new store and the new HQ were probably vanity projects when times were good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
I wonder whether some of the Zara space can be reserved as a "future" mall entrance. The new pedestrian bridge that was supposed to be built from the skytrain station ends at that location.
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

https://metropolisatmetrotown.com/en/map/#/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:55 AM

there used to be an entrance down there when it was Eatons, it was great.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
They were leasing and the owner wanted to redevelop as well.

Last edited by jollyburger; Sep 15, 2020 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:29 PM

Geox just filed for restructuring

Quote:
Geox Canada Inc., which is indirectly controlled by Geox SpA ("Geox"), a global shoe and clothing retailer based in Italy, filed an NOI on September 8. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, traffic in stores in North America remains more than halved. In the first half of 2020, Geox's revenues amounted to $7.2 million (EUR), representing a 54% decrease compared to the first half of 2019. At this time, the company is utilizing the stability afforded by the NOI to consider its various restructuring options. Geox, which has been restructuring its operations for several years, intends to streamline its physical store network and focus on its online business. Richter is the proposal trustee. Counsel is Aird & Berlis for the company and Fasken for the proposal trustee.
https://www.richter.ca/insolvencycase/geox-canada-inc/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:56 PM
life in the present

J. Crew Robson Street location has a sign on the door announcing their closure on September 28th.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 10:21 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:35 AM

looks fancy, hopefully it does well.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:58 PM

The women's The Room had more obscure Japanese and European brands that weren't featured at Nordstrom or Holts and really offered something different in the downtown luxury shopping space. I thought the layout was spaced nicely, the mannequins well presenetd and the shopping experience to be comfortable, but it never seemed busy and I'm surprised it did well enough to convince HBC to open a men's department.

I think the struggle was physical inaccessibility; you had to walk into a rather shabby, pedestrian looking main floor and go through 4-5 flights of escalators, which often was under repair, to get to it, or wait ages for an elevator to show up. It really was devoid of the modern appeal of Nordstrom's physical space or Holts' exuberant luxury feel, both of which were evident from the main floor.

Likewise, hope it does well and the closure of Leone should alleviate some of the competition.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post

I think the struggle was physical inaccessibility; you had to walk into a rather shabby, pedestrian looking main floor and go through 4-5 flights of escalators, which often was under repair, to get to it, or wait ages for an elevator to show up. It really was devoid of the modern appeal of Nordstrom's physical space or Holts' exuberant luxury feel, both of which were evident from the main floor.
Thank you. It's been on the back of my mind but there is definitely something to be said about The Bay's escalator situation (Canada-wide) resulting in interfering with accessibility to their products.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:38 PM

The success of places like the Room depends mostly on a select group of high spenders. They aren’t browsing on a daily basis. The staff develops relationships with them and they are contacted when new things arrive. They may have separate shopping times when the store is closed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The success of places like the Room depends mostly on a select group of high spenders. They aren’t browsing on a daily basis. The staff develops relationships with them and they are contacted when new things arrive. They may have separate shopping times when the store is closed.
I remember when I first realized the rich get to shop in closed stores with personalized help.

Blew my mind.

People walking around with $12,000 of clothes in one go on a random Tuesday morning.

Regular occurrence in a few Vancouver shops.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 10:51 PM

ZARA at Metrotown is were the old EATONS was.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
The women's The Room had more obscure Japanese and European brands that weren't featured at Nordstrom or Holts and really offered something different in the downtown luxury shopping space. I thought the layout was spaced nicely, the mannequins well presenetd and the shopping experience to be comfortable, but it never seemed busy and I'm surprised it did well enough to convince HBC to open a men's department.

Likewise, hope it does well and the closure of Leone should alleviate some of the competition.
Isn't the room on the second floor?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:56 PM

As previously known, Burberry is opening at the Mcarthur outlet, It's location kinda surprises me as it's going in the old Bench space next to the Gap. There is a cluster of the higher end brands in the newer part, would fit better there I would have thought.

retail insider

Some of the other new brands set to open there from Retail insider:

Quote:
Other brands either open or soon to open in the Vancouver center include Max Mara, Blubird, Matt & Nat, Rossignol, and Tory Burch.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...xury-retailers

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:39 PM

But that's a prominent location right up front, not way in the back of the complex.
Maybe the Gap will move?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
As previously known, Burberry is opening at the Mcarthur outlet, It's location kinda surprises me as it's going in the old Bench space next to the Gap. There is a cluster of the higher end brands in the newer part, would fit better there I would have thought.

Some of the other new brands set to open there from Retail insider:

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...xury-retailers
Nothing screams true luxury like an outlet mall.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:54 AM

Lush seeks court permission to dissolve Canadian arm
https://biv.com/article/2020/09/lush...e-canadian-arm

Noticed this next to the Pure Pharmacy on Robson at Cambie:

Pic by me Tues, Sep 22:

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 23, 2020 at 9:18 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:07 PM

Looks like a store within a store deal with Telus and Pure Integrative Pharmacy.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:41 AM

Oomomo is closing their store at International Village, they are moving to Robson street as previously mentioned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy