HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 9:36 PM

It'd probably be to expensive but they should consider using Freshwater Bay. It's zoned for industrial purposes and it would be a great area for larger ships. I'd like to see vehicles and such come in through there so they could get rid of the cars at the west end of Water Street.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 6:58 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

351 Water Steet

Land Use Assesment Report for 351 Water Street:
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/1832-01%2...20May%2028.pdf

Check out the above link to the LUAR, it has renderings, specs and other info. I think the design is good and pretty current by Canadian standards. The Water Street side is a bit formal, and done reasonably well especially at street level, and the harbour side is good although IMO the parking structure ramps might have been disguised better. As always, the overall success of the building design will also depend upon the quality of materials used.

Quote:
Building Heights
The heights of the building are as follows:
From Harbour Drive From Water Street
Parking Levels 19.1 metres 15.5 metres
Office Levels 24.1 metres 24.1 metres
Total 43.2 metres 39.6 metres
I'll add this, since usually the rooftop penthouse is included to get the complete building height:
Mechanical penthouse height - 4.2 metres
Total incl. mech penthouse, Harbour Drive - 47.4 metres
Total incl. mech penthouse, Water Street - 43.8

Last edited by Architype; Jun 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 7:54 PM

^ Overall I like it. I'm not sure about the retail space part facing Water Street, it looks like they're going to use probably brown brick or something and I don't no if I like that material/colour. I really like the office space area and the idea of a restaurant was always something I hoped for. The parking garage is odd.

I think it will definitly be the best office complex in St. John's, could be higher though.

Mentioned in the LUAR
with projects such as the renovation of the Post Office building across the street, which has been approved for a two story high addition.
Does anyone know anything about that?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 8:03 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ It says no masonry, just articulated concrete with a buff masonry like colour.
I noticed the renderings before showed a higher addition to the post office, making it 6 stories, maybe about 30 metres.

Here is the other PDF link, showing various view sightlines:
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Prop%20Bl...02,%202010.pdf

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ It says no masonry, just articulated concrete with a buff masonry like colour.
I noticed the renderings before showed a higher addition to the post office, making it 6 stories, maybe about 30 metres.

Here is the other PDF link, showing various view sightlines:
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Prop%20Bl...02,%202010.pdf

What was or is Big Bite Pizza is removed in the View # 1 showing proposed building looking East along Water Street at Steers Cove. I cannot wait for something to be done to that Post Office building, there are very few other buildings downtown that I hate more.

Where do you find the LUAR's? I can find them when I search on the city's site but other then that I don't no how to find them and if they are listed under a department somewhere.

Last edited by PoscStudent; Jun 6, 2010 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 8:18 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The post office is typical 50's classic "federal" design, it looks a bit austere by today's standards, but versions of it can be found right across the country, unfortunately this one is not a great example.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ The post office is typical 50's classic "federal" design, it looks a bit austere by today's standards, but versions of it can be found right across the country, unfortunately this one is not a great example.
I guess I don't mind the actual structure but I hate that black marble going around most of the building the colours of the rest of it are gross and it just needs something. Hopefully a new adition will make it look better.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 8:57 PM

One thing I'd like to see for the restaurant would be sliding glass doors that could be open for the 4 or 5 days we have in the summer when it's not windy and it's warm enough to eat outside.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 10:48 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 11:21 PM

I have to say, I like the design of the building! I just hope they start building this as soon as possible, a big office project like this has been wayyy overdue for St. John's.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 11:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Construction Time Frame:
It is anticipated that construction will start in September 2010 with occupancy in summer or fall of 2012.
View from Water Street -

Source: LUAR PDF

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 12:54 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Where do you find the LUAR's? I can find them when I search on the city's site but other then that I don't no how to find them and if they are listed under a department somewhere.

They are on the city website under "public notices" about the public meeting, they can also be found here on the DDC site, along with some other info links:
http://www.downtownstjohns.com/news/...es/001655.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 1:34 AM

Thanks, I am assuming there wasn't much controversy at the public meeting last week on the proposed changes to Harbourview Condos because I have not seen any stories on it.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 5:21 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is another article on Signal Hill -

Quote:
Development coming to Signal Hill: councillor

St. John's can't stop a developer who wants to build townhouses on private property on the edge of the Signal Hill national historic site, according to a councillor speaking at Monday 's city council meeting.

Coun. Frank Galgay said the land is privately owned and the city can't block a development if it follows the zoning bylaws for the area.

"In the zoning there, we acknowledged the fact that that [land] is privately owned by an individual and to completely rezone that as open space would take away that person's private property," said Galgay. " I think, for one, some form of development should take place there." . . .

Council didn't vote on the new proposal Monday. The vote was deferred to give city staff a chance to look at the revised proposal.

Proposed developments in downtown St. John's often are controversial, with residents opposing several proposals for hotels and office towers.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz0qHauYJkw

I notice they keep calling them townhouses even though they are detached dwellings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Thanks, I am assuming there wasn't much controversy at the public meeting last week on the proposed changes to Harbourview Condos because I have not seen any stories on it.
That seems likely as the changes weren't all that significant, and it's still within the zoning.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2010, 6:08 PM

^"I notice they keep calling them townhouses even though they are detached dwellings."

I know! Rotts me.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 12:24 PM

APEC releases inventory of major projects

Quote:
APEC releases inventory of major projects
Newfoundland and Labrador leads the list among Atlantic provinces

The Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC) released its annual inventory of major projects in the region - and more than half the developments are scheduled to take place in the province.

The inventory tracks 343 of the Atlantic region's largest investment projects that are valued at a combined $72 billion.

APEC unveiled its list during a lunchtime briefing Tuesday in St. John's.

Topping the Newfoundland and Labrador portion of the list are offshore oil and mining projects, including as the ongoing $3.5-billion White Rose expansion, a $2.8-billion nickel processing plant at Long Harbour and the planned $1.74-billion Hibernia South development.

"In this province, the energy and mining projects are some of the biggest drivers," said David Chaundy, APEC's senior economist.

Those sectors account for almost two-thirds of the 90 projects in the province.
Continue reading

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 12:24 PM

I guess in Newfoundland,

detatched houses + townies living in them = Townhouses

Old Posted Jun 9, 2010, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I guess in Newfoundland,

detatched houses + townies living in them = Townhouses
It's more like the NIMBY's twisting the facts to get the public on there side.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 12:19 AM

Question for the forum. Is anyone planning on going to the public meeting on the 16th about 351 Water Street?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 1:56 PM

Quote:
A prominent law office in downtown St. John's was seriously damaged by fire Saturday morning.

St. John's Regional Fire Department crews fought flame and smoke that had engulfed the offices of Roebothan McKay Marshall on Duckworth Street. The building is adjacent to the National War Memorial in St. John's.
Continue reading

I'm very disappointed, this oddly enough was one of my favorite buildings downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's