HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotaname View Post
We need rest/bathroom breaks on all highways in New Brunswick . Maine is ahead of us by loads with there rest stops
It would be nice to see, same for NS too. something similar to the OnRoutes in Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdclement View Post
Noticed that highway 101 going from Windsor to Halifax has a portion that is paved with concrete, is there anywhere else in the Maritimes that have concrete highways?
The 104 does travelling westbound from exit 7 (Thomson road) to exit 6 (Oxford) after the toll section ends.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 12:00 PM

Just north of the Toll Plaza on NS 104, they are building rest areas.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleton_Roadie View Post
Just north of the Toll Plaza on NS 104, they are building rest areas.
Make it big enough to house everyone who gets stuck on the Cobequid pass in a blizzard. Maybe a GIANT REVOLVING LIGHT so they can see it in the dark in the snow. With a fleet of rescue snowmobiles. And a Timmies, of course. Duh.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotaname View Post
We need rest/bathroom breaks on all highways in New Brunswick . Maine is ahead of us by loads with there rest stops
We already have highway rest stops and they're graciously provided to us by NB's corporate overlords.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 8:37 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Make it big enough to house everyone who gets stuck on the Cobequid pass in a blizzard. Maybe a GIANT REVOLVING LIGHT so they can see it in the dark in the snow. With a fleet of rescue snowmobiles. And a Timmies, of course. Duh.
They look like they both will be big enough to marshall storm traffic, and offer a safer place to get out and stretch your legs than what is currently available from NS rest stops. I haven't seen any design ideas but from I can see shaping up each time I pass is a the type of pull-off and/or drive through concepts that you see in Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 7:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just went on P.E.I.’s Cornwall Bypass for the first time.
Here’s a photo of the west end (interchange with former alignment that’s now numbered P.E.I.-27):

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 10:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Then here are some photos of TCH & St Peter’s Road at the outskirts of Charlottetown. In my impression, this may be the only such American-lite intersection in Canada, where 2 left turn lanes cross the oncoming lanes first then turn left.

In my possibly biased opinion, though, instead of an innovative solution, this is more like a band-aid solution. If the traffic’s this high, it should have warranted an interchange. (At least that’s the ways of Ministry of Transportation of Ontario, provided that I didn’t skip lines when reading its design guideline for interchange warrants.)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 4:37 AM

Tender just went out to realign the intersection of NS 104 TCH and NS 334 in Aulds Cove (next to Canso Causeway). The intersection will be moved east to align with Big Stop driveway with left-turn lanes in both directions.

Also Nova Scotia has unveiled plans to construct a new interchange on Highway 101 between Exit 14 (Coldbrook) and Exit 15 (Berwick) to service the growing communities of Cambridge and Waterville. This will also provide an additional exit along current 15km gap. The design is a standard diamond interchange with roundabouts on top. The connector road will run from Trunk 1 at Waterville Mountain Road north to Brooklyn Street and will be 80km/h arterial. The interchange will be designed for future twinning on Hwy 101 and include an access road to Annapolis Valley First Nation.

Highway 101 Exit 14A

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Tender just went out to realign the intersection of NS 104 TCH and NS 334 in Aulds Cove (next to Canso Causeway). The intersection will be moved east to align with Big Stop driveway with left-turn lanes in both directions.

Also Nova Scotia has unveiled plans to construct a new interchange on Highway 101 between Exit 14 (Coldbrook) and Exit 15 (Berwick) to service the growing communities of Cambridge and Waterville. This will also provide an additional exit along current 15km gap. The design is a standard diamond interchange with roundabouts on top. The connector road will run from Trunk 1 at Waterville Mountain Road north to Brooklyn Street and will be 80km/h arterial. The interchange will be designed for future twinning on Hwy 101 and include an access road to Annapolis Valley First Nation.

Highway 101 Exit 14A

That's welcome news on both accords, especially the new exit on the 101.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:29 PM

I just really wish NS would bite the bullet and switch to Kilometer based exit numbers instead of the current system.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 2:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I just really wish NS would bite the bullet and switch to Kilometer based exit numbers instead of the current system.
Agreed. It makes it so much easier when it comes to creating a new interchange and numbering it. Also, it is a little handy as a driver as the exit number serves as a surrogate marker letting you know how far along the highway you have travelled (or how far you have yet to travel to reach your destination).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 2:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It’s definitely doable. Ontario used to have sequential exits too and switched.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 11:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Can someone confirm whether another twinned section of N.B.-11 is opened? It’s showing on Google map.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2022, 2:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Can someone confirm whether another twinned section of N.B.-11 is opened? It’s showing on Google map.
Yes and no.

There is a section of NB-11 extending north from the Cocagne River to the Little Bouctouche River which has been twinned, and was previously open, but, at present, the former alignment has been completely closed and is undergoing heavy duty reconstruction including the replacement of all the culverts. All traffic is currently diverted to the new alignment.

I fully expect this work to be complete by the end of the fall, and I also expect the new bridge over the Shediac River to be complete this fall as well, which will mean that except for a single small section (bridge over the Cocagne River), NB-11 should be divided all the way from Moncton to the Little Bouctouche River by the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I fully expect this work to be complete by the end of the fall, and I also expect the new bridge over the Shediac River to be complete this fall as well, which will mean that except for a single small section (bridge over the Cocagne River), NB-11 should be divided all the way from Moncton to the Little Bouctouche River by the end of the year.
I highly doubt that the section between Shediac-Bridge and Cocagne will open this fall. Higgs has been pumping the brakes on this project since he's been in power and delaying it with passion... even if LeBlanc has been paying and pushing it for years.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/d...-upgrades.html

I hope I am wrong and you are right.

Nous sommes français et libéral + vert dans ces coins après tout!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Sep 11, 2022 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 6:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
There is a section of NB-11 extending north from the Cocagne River to the Little Bouctouche River which has been twinned, and was previously open, but, at present, the former alignment has been completely closed and is undergoing heavy duty reconstruction including the replacement of all the culverts. All traffic is currently diverted to the new alignment.
That’s pretty much what MTQ did with a new stretch of A85 around Saint-Antonin, so it’s probably the same thing here.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdclement View Post
It would be nice to see, same for NS too. something similar to the OnRoutes in Ontario.
Not enough traffic volume and we have the Irving Big Stops.

Not going to happen.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 8:28 PM

There really isn't a shortage of places to stop along the TCH in NB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces