HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:58 PM

Their sign also said they where open for 8 plus years.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:00 AM

Huh I didn't think it was open that long. Time flies I guess.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:59 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/t...n-ontario.html

Found this on Twitter, nice shout out from New York Times

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:54 PM

Mother's Pizza Parlour and Spaghetti House

To our valued Hamilton guests:
It is with deep regret and a heavy heart that Mother’s Pizza Parlour and Spaghetti house has made the decision to permanently close the location at 701 Queenston Road, Hamilton, effective Tuesday September 19th, 2017
We sincerely appreciate the support that you have shown us over the past few years.
In the meantime, please feel free to visit one of our other three locations in Brantford, Kitchener and Waterloo. Any gift cards, gift certificate or coupon offers will be honored at all these locations.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us through email at info@mothersrestaurants.com
Regards,
Mother’s Management

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:44 PM

^ Not surprising at all. I'm not sure I've actually ever seen any cars in their parking lot.

In fact, I've seen the same thing for Boston Pizza two doors down. Always empty.

The location can't be the problem because right next door is Swiss Chalet which is always busy.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:05 PM

I went to Mother's when it opened, liked the pizza and never went back, mainly because I live by St. Joe's and didn't feel like trucking all the way out there. Also the interior seemed to modern and light. I would have preferred closer to the old Mother's style for the nostalgia.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:49 PM

Some Indian place called Nukkad is opening where Affinity. There's also now a giant parrot painted on the side of the building.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:24 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I went to Mother's when it opened, liked the pizza and never went back, mainly because I live by St. Joe's and didn't feel like trucking all the way out there. Also the interior seemed to modern and light. I would have preferred closer to the old Mother's style for the nostalgia.
I went when it opened too, then haven't had the occasion to do so again, and it's far away for me also. The food was good (I had lasagna but tried the pizza as well since my family had ordered a bunch of things, and both were fine) and the interior was nice.

I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't make it work, but the restaurant biz is tough. Playing on nostalgia can be fun but I think it's really hard to match what people think they actually remember. Hamilton's food scene has evolved by leaps and bounds, and that stretch of Queenston is hard for anything that isn't a QSR, so I think they were in tough. Still, some Italian/pizza restaurants have survived for decades in this town (Capri, Bronzie's, etc.) so there's a formula that does work. I wonder if things would have been better had they'd tried Westdale first instead.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:17 PM

I walked by the old Baltimore House location and today it looked like construction is underway now.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 5:16 PM

I suspect this is for the former Baltimore House. Posted on Instagram

thefrenchhamont We have some exciting news coming up, and you have the opportunity to be a part of it in a special way! This Tuesday October 10th we are holding a job fair for our new, highly anticipated restaurant opening shortly on King William. This job fair is specifically looking for additional cooks and dishwashers, and will be held from 11AM to 12PM, as well as from 3PM to 4PM at the Aberdeen Tavern. If you cannot make either of these two time slots, please do not hesitate to contact us regardless, and we will work with you in order to set something up.

We are really excited about the newest addition to our family of restaurants. We believe that this space will create an atmosphere to contribute to Hamilton’s blossoming growth and narrative. We would love nothing more than to have you help shape this story alongside us. For more information and registration, please contact Matt Beasley (matt@equalparts.ca)anytime before October 10th. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend and we can't wait to hear from you!🍁#hamont #jobfair #jobs #hiring #cooks #dishwashers #comingsoon #hamontjobs #hr #opportunity #equalparts

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:06 PM

CIMA Enoteca is finally open on Locke

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 10:16 PM

Nice shout out at Toronto.com

Best Restaurants in Hamilton - Toronto.com

http://www.toronto.com/food-drink/be...s-in-hamilton/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:54 PM

Restaurants Opening Soon – November 2017

HEATHER PETER | the in-let | November 15, 2017

It wasn’t that long since the last Opening Soon article, but a whole new grouping of restaurants and culinary ventures launching in the city have already come to our attention. Hamilton, get ready for new flavours to rock your taste buds!

Hello Baked Sugar Shop

342 Barton Street East

Hello Baked Sugar Shop is a gourmet confectionary boutique founded by pastry designer Jessica Lee. Specializing in its famous hand-crafted sugar cookies, the shop also offers a curated assortment of locally-sourced candy, French macarons and premium giftware from vendors like Sloane Tea Company, Kitten and the Bear, always x always, and Hamilton’s own Pure Home Couture and The Dessert Room.

Estimated Opening Date: Late November 2017

Heaven’s Kitchen

James Street North

The beautiful ornate signage is the first thing to catch your eye on the James Street North facade. The European café near King William will have an interior to match the exterior – ornate, elegant, detailing. We look forward to hearing more about their food offerings!

Cherry Birch General

219 King Street East

Cherry Birch will be more of a general store, rather than a restaurant, with local packaged food goods available from Canadian makers. On top of the general store offerings, they will also have a small cafe section. Keep your eyes peeled to their social media for more information.

Duck Punk Innovations

Pop Up

Duck Punk Innovations will launch the first of their pop up events with a Pop Up Moonshine Bar and Feast of Small Plates in the Ferguson Station, on November 25th.
This pop up will give guests a taste of Newari (Nepal) and Newfoundland culture and aims to be the experience of the season.

Pete & Kay

946 King Street West

From the masterminds that brought us the popular Jack and Lois on James Street North, comes their new venture in Westdale, Pete & Kay. In taking from the theme at Jack and Lois, the new restaurant is named after the owner’s grandparents. If Jack and Lois is any indication of the food offerings they have in mind, we know we’re in for a treat.

http://theinletonline.com/opening-soon-nov-2017/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:43 PM

Little Big Bowl reopened on John South, but also as part grocery store. That's always been a tough location because of the visibility being blocked by those houses at the corner of Young and John.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 8:23 PM

Little Big bowl is in a horrible location however, I went one day for lunch and it was packed... in bigger cities the harder to find places were always the best and im starting to notice that happen in Hamilton a little bit and i like it

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Nice shout out at Toronto.com

Best Restaurants in Hamilton - Toronto.com

http://www.toronto.com/food-drink/be...s-in-hamilton/
Author previously namechecked many of those places in a Jan 6 piece for the Globe & Mail.

Quote:
A quick recap of just a few of the Torontonians who have made the leap to Hamilton to date includes: chef Matt Beasley, formerly of One, now with Aberdeen Tavern; chef Matt Cowan, ex-Portland Variety, now owner of the Heather; husband-and-wife team Dan Megna (ex-North 44) and Laurie Lilliman (ex-Sotto Sotto) now with two Hamilton-area restaurants, Lake Road and Twisted Lemon; Chicago-born Patrick Wiese, formerly executive chef with Fuzion Restaurant, now operating Twisted Kitchen Catering; newly opened Berkeley North owners Matthew Webber and Diana Chetcuti and their executive chef Jonathan Kemeny (ex-Blackbird Bakery); and server/sommelier Jesslyn Collins, now creating artisan brews at Vintage Coffee Roasters.
Come to Hamilton for the Toronto expats.

Here's a similar piece from January of this year: Meet 6 chefs from The Six who are currently making the 905 sizzle

I sense EcDev's finger on the scale.

Last edited by thistleclub; Nov 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:44 PM

Candle sparks blaze at Rapscallion restaurant
(Hamilton Spectator, Nov 22 2017)

An unattended candle is being blamed for an overnight fire at a downtown restaurant.

Firefighters were called to Rapscallion Rogue Eatery, 61 Young Street around 12:30 a.m. after a passerby noticed flames near the front window.

Fire Information Officer Claudio Mostacci says officials determined a candle left burning on a shelf behind bench seating caused the fire.

The heat caused a few of the front windows to shatter, Mostacci said. Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly with only extinguishers, and left the scene just after 1:15 a.m.

Residents living above the restaurant did not have to evacuate but did experience smoke conditions.

Damage is estimated at $5,000. It's unclear when the restauran
t can reopen. The Health Department has been notified.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 9:41 PM

Butcher shop closing, other Honest Foods’ locations reopening

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...ons-reopening/

A local company is closing the doors of its neighbourhood butcher shop.

And while another two Honest Foods' locations are temporarily closed, they are scheduled to reopen next week.

Honest Meat Co. was shuttered in recent weeks, and The Beverly on Locke and newly opened Doughboy Donuts closed this week. The latter two will be open for business again on Wednesday, according to Joe Accardi of Forge & Foster, out of which Honest Foods Inc. is a collaboration.

"It all just kind of happened at one time," he said.

The temporary closures at the two locations are due to a staff shuffle, Accardi said.

Kind of a weird story. They control a lot of different things.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:52 AM

How long was Honest Meat Co. open? Feel like it was less than a month.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
How long was Honest Meat Co. open? Feel like it was less than a month.
They opened at the end of July. Some friends of mine went there once but didn't return due to high prices. It cost a lot to raise animals ethically.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation