HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, it makes no sense to me based on charging time rather than kilowatts used.
Imagine BC Hydro charging the same for 2 hours use of an LED lightbulb versus 2 hours use of an incandescent light bulb.
Cars will charge more slowly as they reach 80-100%. By charging for time, you're encouraging people to move on and free up the charger for somebody who needs it more.

That said, Tesla has recently changed to per kWh after they were given permission by the Federal government. The prices are pretty high (varies but usually over 40 cents/kWh).

Whether that will lead to more people camping out at superchargers, we will see.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 7:21 PM

0 to 180 km in 10 minutes: B.C. Hydro rolls out faster electric vehicle charging stations

Quote:
B.C. Hydro has unveiled plans to install new charging stations it says can add as much as 180 kilometres worth of range to the average electric vehicle in 10 minutes.

The utility says the new 180-kilowatt units will be added to its network as soon as this fall, with even more scheduled to arrive in 2024.

The first communities to get the new faster-charge stations are Surrey, Manning Park and, north of Prince George, Mackenzie and Tumbler Ridge.

B.C. Hydro president Chris O'Riley says both current and prospective electric vehicle owners have said they want improved coverage in more rural parts of the province in order to address range anxiety.

The new stations will also be the first from B.C. Hydro to offer power sharing, which lets two different vehicles use the same unit to charge at the same time.

The adoption of electric vehicles in B.C. is much higher in southern urban areas than rural, northern ones, according to statistics from the provincial government made available in 2022.

The figures showed about one in every 45 people owns a zero-emission vehicle in the southwest regions of the province, but that number drops to one in 232 in the Kootenays and one in 414 in northern B.C.

The number of public charging stations closely corresponds to the number of zero-emission vehicles in various regions.

B.C. Hydro says it currently has 153 charging units at 84 locations across the province with plans to add an additional 3,000 ports over the next 10 years.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 7:52 PM

Manning Park is always a busy EV charger and there's only 1 of them. Hopefully they install more than 1 of these new ones.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Manning Park is always a busy EV charger and there's only 1 of them. Hopefully they install more than 1 of these new ones.
There are 2 chargers at the Hope Slide Viewpoint.
Not sure if these would work on your car.

Pic by me today.

Also - pic by me today in Chilliwack:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The press release says 2 at a time but at half the power. Still it will be faster than the very busy Manning Park 50kw charger.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Those chargers are getting to be pretty busy too. Luckily I can drive from Vancouver to Manning Park and back past Abbotsford before I need to get a bit of charge to make it home. If there's a charger available at the Hope Slide I'll stop there for a bit, which is nice because it's free - but if not then there are plenty of places to charge in the valley.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 1:59 PM

It's underappreciated how impactful it will be that Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) has been adopted this year by most EV brands selling in the North American market. It means that basically all BEVs going forward will share a common charging plug and charging stations will be accessible to all (new) BEVs.

From a user experience perspective, NACS is generally considered superior to the Combo Charge Standard (CCS) standard that was previously preferred by the legacy automakers. CCS combines the SAE J1772 connector preferred by the North American and Japanese automakers and the IEC 62196 Type 2 (CHAdeMO) connector that is the EU's preferred standard. So to accommodate two different standards in a single physical connector, the CCS charger plug is bulky, the cable is heavy, and the charging station unit is larger and more expensive than its NACS equivalent. By comparison, the NACS cable is significantly more slim in profile, lighter, and more flexible, and the plug is much smaller, allowing the aperture on the car to be more easily incorporated into its design.

Source

The majority of the 50,000+ Tesla Superchargers around the world use the 'v3' charging unit that offers 250 kW max charging rate. The 'v4' charging unit is the new standard for Superchargers and supports 350 kW charging. This permits even faster charging and matches the 350 kW max charging rate of the CCS charging standard.

To expedite deployment of Superchargers, Tesla has developed a modular pre-fabricated unit of four chargers and the central transformer that can be trucked out and installed as a single piece. The Buffalo Tesla factory basically just makes Supercharger units and this modular unit is now being manufactured there. The v4 Supercharger and new Megacharger for long-distance trucking will also be deployed as modular units.

Source

Anyway, the mass conversion this year to NACS has included Ford, GM, Honda, Volvo, Polestar, Rivian, and Nissan. Mercedes already adopted NACS and VW is known to be in negotiations to adopt the standard, too. Electrify America, which is the largest non-Tesla charging network in the US (and was started by VW as part of the settlement for its 'Dieselgate' fraud program), has announced that it is going to convert over to NACS for future charging stations and will steadily retrofit its existing CCS infrastructure to add NACS hardware.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Sep 11, 2023 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Not sure if these would work on your car.

Pic by me today.
Yep they do, I have a Tesla but I have the right adapter.

FYI Hope Slide is a good one because they are free. Cell service is spotty there which is why, I think.

Range anxiety is an issue (emphasis on the anxiety) but I can make it from downtown Van to Penticton without charging if I want. I usually end up stopping in Princeton for a break and not to take any unnecessary risks.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTDGT View Post
The press release says 2 at a time but at half the power. Still it will be faster than the very busy Manning Park 50kw charger.
Loading sharing is fine. One person can be hogging a charger and getting 25kW which is just annoying for everybody.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure