HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:31 PM

That could possibly be the extension of Kenmount Road up through Paradise industrial Park. They have started construction of extending Kenmount Road westward from where McNamara Drive meets Kenmount Road. I’m curious though of where the road is going to exit out to? Will it somehow tie into the Manuel Access or somewhere else? I can’t imagine it linking up with Three Island Pond Road though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Coming in Manuals Access, I noticed heavy equipment working parallel to the highway behind 3 Island Pond. Looked like the start of a road.
Anyone know what's going on there?

Last edited by Arrakis; Jul 25, 2019 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid_Ascent View Post
Speaking of the Airport, I saw on VOCM that, as part of the new Municipal Authority Agreement, the City will now be allowed access to land to extend Hebron Way to Major's Path.

Perhaps they were waiting on this agreement before beginning construction on the terminal extension?
Thank goodness for the double left-turn lane. It's needed. But that also means changing that entire intersection to move the island for the right lane merge to Portugal Cove. In my opinion that whole intersection should be redesigned as a roundabout.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
That could possibly be the extension of Kenmount Road up through Paradise industrial Park. They have started construction of extending Kenmount Road westward from where McNamara Drive meets Kenmount Road. I’m curious though of where the road is going to exit out to? Will it somehow tie into the Manuel Excess or somewhere else? I can’t imagine it linking up with Three Island Pond Road though.
Master plans are for a full access on to Manual Access Road.

EDIT: I remember seeing this years ago, doing a quick search now I can't find anything about this now.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:11 PM

Update on parking meter replacement..

The city has put out a RFP for parking kiosks to supplement the PayByPhone parking app for the remainder of metered spaces. I've used these in the past and they are a great option for those without cell phones.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...plan-1.5224166

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:11 PM

Four or five years ago, maybe longer, the City looked at the kiosk option but decided to go with the electronic meters instead, we now know how that worked out. I would be interested in knowing how much has been lost in revenue, not to mention what as been spent in repairs and replacement, in the past two or three years. I would not be surprised if we are in the neighborhood of $5 million. They had better get it right this time.

Also, the report indicates that the Pay by Phone option was 80% effective, from my observations having driven along Harbour Drive almost every day I would put it closer to 25%.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:22 PM

I noticed road reflectors have been placed on Mt. Scio Road and Blackhead Road. They are like raised pavement markers you see in southern US cities, but they are recessed enough that they shouldn't be removed by snow plows.

Anyone driven these roads recently in the night to see what they look like?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I noticed road reflectors have been placed on Mt. Scio Road and Blackhead Road. They are like raised pavement markers you see in southern US cities, but they are recessed enough that they shouldn't be removed by snow plows.

The ones on Blackhead Rd were installed last year and the ones on MT Scio were instilled since May. I''ve driven both sections of road at night and the reflectors make seeing the road much easier.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 8:41 PM

There's also a long section of the highway out to Bay Bulls with these installed and it really does
help at night, especially when there's fog.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
There's also a long section of the highway out to Bay Bulls with these installed and it really does
I've driven with these in California, and wondered why we couldn't have them, before realizing about the plow. Now with new recessed technology it should be a hit.

We don't often have obscured roadways around here; so with melt and salting they should be visable if they survive.

Last edited by jjavman; Aug 28, 2019 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
They go from Big Pond to the city limits and I find them to be a great help for visibility, as you say - especially when there's fog. I didn't realize they were on Blackhead Rd till I drove through from Petty Harbour recently.
They are pretty durable it would appear - have held up pretty well to the plows over the winter. I don't know what the cost is, but I'd like to see them on more provincial roads - again a MAJOR help for visibility.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
They go from Big Pond to the city limits and I find them to be a great help for visibility, as you say - especially when there's fog. I didn't realize they were on Blackhead Rd till I drove through from Petty Harbour recently.
They are pretty durable it would appear - have held up pretty well to the plows over the winter. I don't know what the cost is, but I'd like to see them on more provincial roads - again a MAJOR help for visibility.
Yes, it's about time this was implemented here. Hopefully they hold up through the winter.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post

They are also installed on the stretch just past the airport entrance on Portugal Cove Road up to Windsor lake

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:16 PM

Re: Roundabouts

Interesting perspective on roundabouts.

https://www.thetelegram.com/opinion/...option-337778/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting perspective on roundabouts.

https://www.thetelegram.com/opinion/...option-337778/
I think the roundabouts work for the most part. If the Ruth Avenue ramps approaching Galway were traffic lights, traffic would be backed up substantially. At least this way, it's moving. The one thing in this area that people keep bringing up and that includes myself.....is why do the two lanes leaving Galway abruptly end and become one when you hit the overpass????? The bridge is only wide enough for three lanes and I guess it was decided that it was best to have two lanes heading towards Galway and just the one lane heading out. I get that. I just don't get why the two lanes leaving Galway just never split with one heading to the off-ramp to head east on Pitts Memorial and one heading for the bridge.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:52 PM

New TGH/Pitts/Galway Tie In

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
The TGH should take into account Southlands and Galway, but that tie-in would occur at the very end of the highway and would have nothing to do with the current route. My guess would be that instead of continuing into the Goulds Bypass/Robert E Howlett, the highway should take a route that takes it around the perimeter of Southlands and Galway and eventually terminate near the Country Ribbon chicken farm on the TCH. The Goulds Bypass/Robert E Howlett would be a separate turn off from the TGH.
After much "studying"

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:11 PM

First Layer of Asphalt Hits New Paradise Roundabout Today

Hopefully this is good news and, at least, signals a reduction in driving woes in the area. With that being said, school starts up next week so who knows what drivers are in for! Traffic flow was going very well until it started to function as a single-lane roundabout. It would go even better if most drivers got the hang of zipper merging.

VOCM News
Aug 28, 2019

Quote:
The first layer of asphalt for the Topsail Road/McNamara roundabout goes down today.
The Town of Paradise says in order to have the first layer of paving finished in one day, work will begin at 7:00 a.m. and continue into the evening until it is completed.
The work will impact traffic as it will be delayed throughout the day, including during the morning and evening commutes.
The town says it is doing it this way because of impending weather later in the week and school starting next week.
Construction of the roundabout is on schedule and will be completed by mid-fall.
https://vocm.com/2019/08/28/first-la...ndabout-today/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:05 PM

Stay Away

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Hopefully this is good news and, at least, signals a reduction in driving woes in the area. With that being said, school starts up next week so who knows what drivers are in for! Traffic flow was going very well until it started to function as a single-lane roundabout. It would go even better if most drivers got the hang of zipper merging.

VOCM News
Aug 28, 2019

https://vocm.com/2019/08/28/first-la...ndabout-today/
Once this is done, are there any remaining major road infrastructure projects on the horizon for Paradise? Seems like they have been doing major roadwork along Topsail Rd for the better part of a decade now.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I found it interesting how it is reported as 'Phase Two of Four' but nowhere can I seem to find what phase three and four entail.. anyone have any details?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:26 AM

Kenmount Construction Given Go Ahead for Overnight Work

https://vocm.com/2019/09/04/kenmount...vernight-work/

Quote:
The capital city has given the green light for overnight work during the Kenmount Road construction project between Polina Road and Peet Street.

The decision came down at city hall last night.

Councilor Ian Froude says the overnight work will be sporadic, and will be done to help mitigate the impacts on nearby business and to make sure the project stays on schedule.

He says because it will only be occurring every now and again, the city will publish a notice to residents on the city’s website before the scheduled work takes place.

Froude says he realizes there are houses nearby, and they will be keeping a close eye on possible impacts for residents.

(He says it is mostly concrete and pavement in the area so sound travels very well, which is something he wants city staff to keep in mind when allowing overnight work to take place.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's