HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 1:13 AM
BANNED

I've been wondering why those arches that are sitting on the decks haven't been installed already. They've been there for weeks now. Are they keeping this space open deliberately to move other pieces in and out for now?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 2:13 AM

If anyone lives in NYC or is visiting the city anytime soon dont forget to reserve your visitor's passes before they run out.

http://www.911memorial.org/visitor-passes 9/11 Memorial Visitor Passes

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 5:33 PM
Back to Basics

I noticed today that many of the trees don't look so good. They seem to be suffering from heat or lack of water stress. I follow their progress closely and noticed the sudden change today. I hope the resident dendrologist has been alerted. These mature trees are very expensive and represent many years of careful husbandry.

(Close-up of Screen Captures from KPI TV HD webcam found here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 5:06 PM
Back to Basics

Conversely... I am much more confident in the condition and health of The Survivor Tree.

HD video of the history of the Survivor Tree
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=637144749850

Story and video about the planting of the Survivor Tree
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=7857410

It seems to be doing surprisingly well.

(Closeup of screen capture from KPI TV HD webcam found here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )
Any clear-headed, rational comments or balanced viewpoints will be considered Trolling and you will be reprimanded.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 11:44 PM

Floors are starting to take shape on the east side of the hub.

http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 6:20 PM
I Serve

Maybe we'll soon see the connection between the basement levels of 2 and 3 WTC...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2011, 1:48 PM
Grand is Golden!

Finally fixed my rendering, more specifically, the 2 pools. I added a layer of "water" over the dark grey footprint of the pool. I believe Traynor was the first to recommend that my pools were to be black, not blue. Thanks to him for the suggestions!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 5:03 AM

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 7:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I noticed today that many of the trees don't look so good. They seem to be suffering from heat or lack of water stress. I follow their progress closely and noticed the sudden change today. I hope the resident dendrologist has been alerted. These mature trees are very expensive and represent many years of careful husbandry.
Trees aren't meant to survive in tiny little underground boxes surrounded by heavy equipment, vibrations, and construction materials. Especially if they're basically just saplings.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
Grand is Golden!

I've been working on this short 20 second timelapse of the Memorial. I started back in September of 2010. I made this preview video for you guys to see. A full complete 5 minute version of the timelapse will be uploaded soon as the Memorial and Pavilion is complete. (Around early-mid 2012 maybe?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrI7GR2rBe0

HD is recommended for this video.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 3:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Trees aren't meant to survive in tiny little underground boxes surrounded by heavy equipment, vibrations, and construction materials. Especially if they're basically just saplings.
This is entirely false. Please go back and read more about them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They aren't actually. The planting system is quite advanced. Although the huge complexity of it may not produce perfect results. The system permits quick and easy removal of the trees without disturbing the plaza.

The plaza deck is elevated so it is not bearing down on the tree roots in any manner and allows sufficient aeration.

My best guess is the dust in the air isn't too friendly towards these trees. It creates films on the leaves

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 4:14 PM
Grand is Golden!

You guys are forgetting about the irrigation system integrated below the plaza. Perhaps it is malfunctioning? Hope they have backups such as people that manually water then using garden hoses.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Also, anyone that lives around trees (which is probably a rarity for most of the New Yorkers on this thread) knows that in the dog days of summer leaves lose their luster, aren't as green, and get a matte finish to them. Just like anything else that's exposed to the sun for a long time, they fade a little. I wouldn't be concerned unless the leaves started to die, and until I see pictures UP CLOSE then people need to calm down. We're jumping to conclusions here...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2011, 8:13 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Also, anyone that lives around trees (which is probably a rarity for most of the New Yorkers on this thread) knows that in the dog days of summer leaves lose their luster, aren't as green, and get a matte finish to them. Just like anything else that's exposed to the sun for a long time, they fade a little. I wouldn't be concerned unless the leaves started to die, and until I see pictures UP CLOSE then people need to calm down. We're jumping to conclusions here...
I'm not a plant expert, but if the trees' leaves start to turn tan or any other color besides their natural color, there's some sort of problem. Also, there's a heat wave all across the US this week and trees here in Chicago are doing perfectly fine. (Assuming the temps in Chicago are about the same as in New York). We've been getting hit with the upper 90's with no rain since a week and a half ago.

Which reminds me, I gotta water the grass. Be right back.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 6:51 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/static/all/im...go-foxnews.png

Quote:
National Interest
9/11 Fire Truck to Be Lowered Into Memorial Exhibition
Published July 20, 2011
| Associated Press

NEW YORK – A fire truck used during the World Trade Center evacuation on 9/11 will be lowered into exhibition space for the National September 11 Memorial Museum.
The truck is from the New York City fire department's Ladder Company 3, which helped civilians escape from the north tower.
A crane will lower it 70 feet into the site on Wednesday afternoon.
The memorial plaza opens to the public on Sept. 12, a day after the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attack. The museum will open next year.

http://a57.foxnews.com/static/manage...911display.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/20...orial-display/

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 7:00 PM

People Amaze me.......

Quote:
Atheists Oppose World Trade Center Cross at Memorial

By American Atheists on Jul 19, 2011
For the record, yes, we will oppose (as we always have) the inclusion of the WTC Cross in the WTC memorial in NYC. As you may remember, the buildings were made from girders crossing each other, and in the rubble some Christians found a pair of girders still welded that closely (not exactly, but closely enough) resemble a Christian Roman Cross.

The cross has become a Christian icon. It has been blessed by so-called holy men a few times, and presented as a reminder that God, in his infinite power of goodness, who couldn’t be bothered to stop the Muslim terrorists, or stop the fire, or hold up the buildings to stop 3000 people from being crushed, cared enough to bestow upon us some rubble that resembles a cross. Ridiculous.

This cross is set to be included in the official WTC memorial. No other religions or philosophies will be honored. It will just be a Christian icon, in the middle of OUR museum. This will not happen without a fight.

We love this country, and our constitution. We honor the dead and respect the families, which is why we will not allow the many Christians who died to get preferential representation over the many non-Christians who suffered the same fate. This was an attack against America, not Christianity, and Christianity’s does not deserve special placement just because THEY think the girders look like their religious symbol.

We will pay for our own memorial of equal size inside the museum, or the museum will not include the cross. Equality is an all-or-nothing deal.l

http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/d...x200/cross.jpg

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/no-go...cross-memorial

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 7:23 PM
Because I'm Clever!

While the "ground zero cross" has some historical significance, and for that reason should be in the museum, it really shouldn't have got the attention it did in the first place. The plaza low-rise buildings had hundreds of "crosses" just like that one in each of the buildings. Each column had the wide stub beams welded to it at every above ground floor.

It would have been shocking if none of them survived. That didn't happen. Hundreds survived in 5 & 6 WTC. I have no idea what made this particular one so special, though I've read anecdotes.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 7:25 PM

Who cares. They don't have to visit the Memorial if they don't want to. It will give room for the people that want to go.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:22 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture