HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc View Post
george lucas buys cold storage facility near la historic park entitled for office development by redcar properties

https://therealdeal.com/la/2024/02/0...las-chinatown/

https://www.redcarltd.com/projects/main-and-naud/
Quote:
the sale to lucas triggered a $2.77 million transfer tax, under the city’s new 5.5 percent tax on all sales above $10 million, the deed shows.
lol

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ Oh I know that, but the fact that proposals and buildings under construction is going steady in most other cities while all we get to look at is abandoned buildings during a housing crisis is just WILD to say the least. 100% LA city government fault. If I hear Mayor Bass say "I'm creating a task force to look into it" ONE MORE TIME. I'll lose it.

Speaking of the abandoned. LA plans on stepping in to clean up the towers if Oceanwide doesn't. Just waiting for one of the brilliant minds in city hall * sarcasm* comes up with the idea to turn it into a shelter, effectively hammering the nail in the downtown coffin lol.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ci...d14f3028&ei=17

It seems that Kevin DeLeon is doing most of the talking…not Karen Bass. And to say that all we have to look at is the tallest graffiti skyscraper when we have a couple of skyscrapers 500+, plus other skyscrapers being built is a little overboard. I get that Oceanwide should be held accountable…but there’s no need to belittle other things that’s going on in LA and act like Oceanwide towers is the only thing people see if they come to LA and more specifically DTLA.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
It's just insane how we are in desperate need of housing but it feels like every other city is reaching for the sky while we look up to the world's tallest graffiti installation.
Downtown Miami has a abandoned highrise downtown with more graffiti. Its the same thing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I disagree that "most other cities" are building more skyscrapers than LA right now.

According to SSP's diagrams, LA has two 500+ ft. towers (skyscrapers) under construction right now--Olympic + Hill, Century City Center. Meanwhile, there isn't a single 500+ ft. tower under construction right now in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Columbus, Cincinnati, San Antonio, Kansas City, St. Louis, or Denver.

There is only one skyscraper each under construction in Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. Chicago, like LA, has two skyscrapers currently under construction.

So essentially that leaves Nashville, with three skyscrapers under construction, and Miami, New York, and Austin which all have multiple skyscrapers under construction. I'm sure I've missed a tower or two, but I don't think the numbers support the idea that LA is less active than "most other cities" regarding skyscraper construction.
Yea, its not great for most of the country right now. Office vacancies are skyrocketing in Texas too, so no idea what those places are gonna be in a couple of years.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Downtown Miami has a abandoned highrise downtown with more graffiti. Its the same thing.
That's because it's scheduled for demolition and is going to be replaced by a supertall. FECR loves to drag their feet though and they'll probably sit on it for a few more months

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 9:41 AM

Worker seriously injured after floor collapse at Olympic + Hill
Video Link

+ Some recent pictures I wanted to share

Endeavour Space Shuttle "Go for Stack" by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr

Endeavour Space Shuttle "Go for Stack" by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza Tagged by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr

Taggers Graffiti Oceanwide Plaza by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza Tagged with Graffiti by Kelvin Cheng, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 10:45 AM

Mirabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea, its not great for most of the country right now. Office vacancies are skyrocketing in Texas too, so no idea what those places are gonna be in a couple of years.
What about Mirabel on the Miracle Mile section of Los Angeles. It is listed as under construction and should be about 520 feet tall.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 1:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Mirabel is not yet under construction, and that would be in the LA Metro thread anyway, not this thread.

kelbeen, amazing pictures!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 1:13 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

As for the accident at Olympic & Hill, it appears it was a stairwell collapse and not a floor collapse. Either way, hope the worker fully recovers, and expect this to stop work on the building for a week or two while they figure out thee cause.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 4:21 PM
你的媽媽

Great photos, kelbeen! The color grading, composition, lighting, layering, all excellent. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I disagree that "most other cities" are building more skyscrapers than LA right now.

According to SSP's diagrams, LA has two 500+ ft. towers (skyscrapers) under construction right now--Olympic + Hill, Century City Center. Meanwhile, there isn't a single 500+ ft. tower under construction right now in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Columbus, Cincinnati, San Antonio, Kansas City, St. Louis, or Denver.

There is only one skyscraper each under construction in Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. Chicago, like LA, has two skyscrapers currently under construction.

So essentially that leaves Nashville, with three skyscrapers under construction, and Miami, New York, and Austin which all have multiple skyscrapers under construction. I'm sure I've missed a tower or two, but I don't think the numbers support the idea that LA is less active than "most other cities" regarding skyscraper construction.
Yeah, that's why I refrained from saying skyscrapers.
I may have said reached for the sky but didn't mean something tall or massive, I was referring to construction and proposals in general. The construction and proposal pipeline is pretty steady elsewhere, tallish and midrise. Yes, we have a big one under construction for LA standards, plus Mateo is topped out and the Beverly Hills sprawling tower complex just broke ground ( a project that will serve very specific people). COOL. But that being said, now what? there really isn't much left of substance in the pipeline that hasn't been proposed since pre covid.

That was my only point, we have a housing crisis and there seems to be no urgency or interest to build anything here like elsewhere regardless of height. Don't get me wrong, i love LA and think the hate it gets is mostly unwarranted. But it's time we stop being complacent with the folks in City Hall, sadly politics say that'll never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
It seems that Kevin DeLeon is doing most of the talking…not Karen Bass. And to say that all we have to look at is the tallest graffiti skyscraper when we have a couple of skyscrapers 500+, plus other skyscrapers being built is a little overboard. I get that Oceanwide should be held accountable…but there’s no need to belittle other things that’s going on in LA and act like Oceanwide towers is the only thing people see if they come to LA and more specifically DTLA.
Again, that's why I refrained from saying skyscrapers lol. Mateo is topped out and Mitsui is near ready, so we have one which is cool. Not a couple (downtown specifically), minus skyscrapers, what else is happening? proposals? Maybe someone should take time to update the front page for what's actually under construction right now and what are solid proposals, not stale proposals from 10 years ago, keeping it strictly dense development. I love this city too, but how can we expect things to get better if we can't call out the negatives? it's not always rainbows, sunshine and gum drops lol and that's how the city government has been allowed to put up all this red tape and bureaucratic garbage, people pretending its fine as is when its not.

Last edited by caligrad; Feb 10, 2024 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 5:02 AM
them bones

Not great photos (iPhone), but I snapped these as I was headed through the East LA interchange this morning.

That project on Mateo (forget the name) really has an impact on that side of downtown and it's stunning to see how far the skyline has really stretched south over the past 5 years or so.

240210 LA 001 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 002 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 003 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 004 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 005 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 006 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 007 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

240210 LA 008 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 5:44 AM

Those are pretty good shots, Plinko! I love the skyline from that angle.

And you're totally right--the expansion of the skyline southward is amazing. In the 20 years I lived away, the footprint of the skyline from some angles like these has easily doubled.

Also, that massive, low-slung complex along Santa Fe is insane. It's like the Great Wall of the Arts District or something.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbeen View Post
Vandalism like that would've been something trendy in São Paulo, Brazil for long yet.
I forgot how they call themselves in Portuguese.

Weirdoes from the far left would call it some kind of art performance, but it's actually only political.
Namely some anarchists that have no respect for the properties of others around them, while they surely have much respect for their own.

Obviously, the only cool thing about them is how they climb buildings. They have guts at that game.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Obviously, the only cool thing about them is how they climb buildings. They have guts at that game.
I don't think they need any climbing ability. Likely no doors on any part of the building preventing access to the patio space which is what they're painting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 10:49 PM

Oceanwide Demolition

So what would you all say the odds are that Oceanwide gets demolished? It seems like such a waste, and a massive loss to the skyline, but I am quite worried it will happen...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
So what would you all say the odds are that Oceanwide gets demolished? It seems like such a waste, and a massive loss to the skyline, but I am quite worried it will happen...
Demolished? Highly highly unlikely. Its at least 80% completed

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Demolished? Highly highly unlikely. Its at least 80% completed
Plus it would cost a ton of money to demolish the complex, on which a billion dollars has already been spent--and who would pay for that? Not Oceanwide! Better for an entity to just invest in completing the project and recouping what it can. It's not like that parcel would fetch a billion dollars if it were cleared.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Very low likelihood. As stated before, there's been considerable investment in the project, and why spend so much to demo it when you could alternatively spend that to get the project closer to completion. The graffiti is embarrassing for LA as a city with the World Cup and Olympics coming up soon... and the city is flexing its muscles to get the owner to remediate the damage and safeguard the property going forward.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Vandalism like that would've been something trendy in São Paulo, Brazil for long yet.
I forgot how they call themselves in Portuguese.

Weirdoes from the far left would call it some kind of art performance, but it's actually only political.
Namely some anarchists that have no respect for the properties of others around them, while they surely have much respect for their own.

Most people don't know that these towers stand incomplete because of Trumps ridiculous tariffs with China.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations