HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:51 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Has anyone else noticed during this development cycle the area between Thomas and Indian School really seems to be blossoming which is in turn making the stretch of Central between Thomas and McDowell look pretty forgotten.
Between Thomas and McDowell, Central is lined with historic districts that can sometimes be hotbeds of NIMBYism. Between Thomas and Indian School, residential neighborhoods are farther away (beyond 3rd St or 3rd Ave) and generally not officially recognized as historic. I'm sure there are many other factors, but perhaps some developers choose the upper part of Midtown simply because they're less likely to encounter opposition there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Between Thomas and McDowell, Central is lined with historic districts that can sometimes be hotbeds of NIMBYism. Between Thomas and Indian School, residential neighborhoods are farther away (beyond 3rd St or 3rd Ave) and generally not officially recognized as historic. I'm sure there are many other factors, but perhaps some developers choose the upper part of Midtown simply because they're less likely to encounter opposition there.
Midtown I think just had more available land that could be cheaply redeveloped.

Im still on the long term bet that virtually all of central Phoenix from the Train Tracks up through Sunny-slope and between the I-17 and 51 will gentrify for the most part in the next two decades.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:03 PM

Speaking of development between Thomas and Indian School, a rezone application has been submitted for the NW corner of Thomas and Central Ave. it’s currently a thin dirt lot with some billboards. Plans call for a 244 ft mixed-use tower with ground-floor retail. An open house on the project will be on July 16th at the Wyndham Garden in Midtown.

I’ve seen the floor plan but not any renderings yet

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Speaking of development between Thomas and Indian School, a rezone application has been submitted for the NW corner of Thomas and Central Ave. it’s currently a thin dirt lot with some billboards. Plans call for a 244 ft mixed-use tower with ground-floor retail.
I was just looking at that corner wondering "How the hell has that not been developed yet"

Thats current a huge eyesore with a giant billboard, a dispensary and the Arizona Democrat headquarters

Are we talking just the Red rectangle or the whole block? (please be the whole block)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I was just looking at that corner wondering "How the hell has that not been developed yet"

Thats current a huge eyesore with a giant billboard, a dispensary and the Arizona Democrat headquarters

Are we talking just the Red rectangle or the whole block? (please be the whole block)
From the site plan, it looks to be the red rectangle and the Az democratic property, up to the driveway that borders the dispensary.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
From the site plan, it looks to be the red rectangle and the Az democratic property, up to the driveway that borders the dispensary.
Man that would be such a huge improvement. What time is the meeting? I live right nearby and could swing by on the 16th maybe.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Man that would be such a huge improvement. What time is the meeting? I live right nearby and could swing by on the 16th maybe.
The Phoenix Historic Neighborhood Coalition made a post on FB with the info. I can’t copy and paste their message at the moment but the meeting will be from 6-7 pm next Tuesday, July 16th in the Coronado Room.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:21 PM
Modulator

More on what's coming to the former Desoto:

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...arket-building

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Sometimes billboard companies have perpetual easements on properties which can make redevelopment difficult if the billboard company views the site as lucrative for them. I wonder how this played out.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:23 PM

I wonder if LIFE was a name that was abandoned or if it was just a working title for the project. Either way I'm glad they went with something else.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I wonder if LIFE was a name that was abandoned or if it was just a working title for the project. Either way I'm glad they went with something else.
Me too. LIFE sounds like a Vegas nightclub.

This isn't my cup of tea, but it's a good idea. They'll attract the 'First Friday crowd' every weekend and the real Downtown dwellers found typically at Luxx, Crescent & The Van Buren will keep them busy during the week.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:47 PM
self-important urbanista

The mezzanine overlooking the open area in back makes perfect sense for a dance club. I'm glad to hear the generic name "Life" is not going to be used, although I'm not sure how much better "Track Club" is.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
The mezzanine overlooking the open area in back makes perfect sense for a dance club. I'm glad to hear the generic name "Life" is not going to be used, although I'm not sure how much better "Track Club" is.
Sounds awful. Basically Old Town on Roosevelt. Wait and see the douchery this will attract.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:49 AM

The "they aren't like me so they shouldn't be allowed downtown" attitude that exists seems very childish. I don't miss that about living downtown, people are irritatingly territorial. It's like they are trying to be the gate keepers.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:10 AM
Skyriser

I think it's kind of weird to enjoy a downtown that has a lot of vitality brought to it by the owner's three other ventures and then complain about his fourth before it's even open.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Sounds awful. Basically Old Town on Roosevelt. Wait and see the douchery this will attract.
It will attract a crowd similar to First Friday. Downtown regulars + those that need a decent excuse to get Downtown. I'd say that's a win.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think it's kind of weird to enjoy a downtown that has a lot of vitality brought to it by the owner's three other ventures and then complain about his fourth before it's even open.
Yeah I dont get it either, there is nothing wrong with a more club-ish vibe existing downtown. Its currently a missing demographic

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
At least there's some meaning behind the name:

"Track Club get's its name from three main influences: the proximity to the tracks of the light rail only a block away, the tracks that DJs spin and the general theme of the 1980’s Olympics.

"The girls might be in track jackets or track pants to keep it really fun and spunky,” Thomas told The Arizona Republic Tuesday afternoon. The art and much of the décor will fit with the brightness and energy of the 1980s Olympics."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
It will attract a crowd similar to First Friday. Downtown regulars + those that need a decent excuse to get Downtown. I'd say that's a win.
Maybe but EDM DJs usually means douchebachery LOL

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:45 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
At least there's some meaning behind the name:

"Track Club get's its name from three main influences: the proximity to the tracks of the light rail only a block away, the tracks that DJs spin and the general theme of the 1980’s Olympics.

"The girls might be in track jackets or track pants to keep it really fun and spunky,” Thomas told The Arizona Republic Tuesday afternoon. The art and much of the décor will fit with the brightness and energy of the 1980s Olympics."

Maybe but EDM DJs usually means douchebachery LOL
The first two make sense; the '80s nostalgia seems a little random. Maybe Stranger Things Season Three is having an influence. You're right, though. It is less arbitrary than "Life."

As for the douchbaggery, a lot will depend on the absence or presence of certain features. If there's bottle service, that might be my "there goes the neighborhood" moment. If it's just a lively club but still approachable by the non-Instagram-worthy, then I'll probably like it.

As others have suggested, though, I'd rather have the building activated in a way that doesn't appeal to me than have it sit empty. A vibrant downtown appeals to many different tastes and subcultures that all occupy the same physical space.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:36 PM

I can't believe this is even a conversation. A new business from a guy with a great track record is opening downtown. if it's successful and that's great for the city if it's not successful then that's bad for the city. Some of you are caught up on whether or not you personally would frequent the business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest