HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Hey the vacancy rate just dropped! @#$!

The "Downtown North" micromarket is getting crazy dense with these projects but demoing office, as obsolete and underparked as it is, is depressing for a downtown area especially with the lack of interest from tenants.

I read somewhere the Block 23 office stub is like 90% vacant.
Companies are not going to pay to be downtown unless the neighborhood is popular enough to make the price worthwhile vs locating 15 minutes away down he highway.

Tempe just in the last few years has high office Demand but it became a desirable neighborhood long before serious office tenants wanted to move in.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 11:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Hey the vacancy rate just dropped! @#$!

The "Downtown North" micromarket is getting crazy dense with these projects but demoing office, as obsolete and underparked as it is, is depressing for a downtown area especially with the lack of interest from tenants.

I read somewhere the Block 23 office stub is like 90% vacant.
I thought 2 full floors of Block 23 will be occupied (can't remember which company) and 20,000 sq ft will be occupied by Earnst and Young?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:50 AM
Skyriser

I'm going to retract that vacancy statement, it turns out wework is filling another couple floors in that development that we missed so it's doing better than I thought.

For those not in the know, wework isn't just coworking, they're way more efficient at filling the missing middle for smaller, growing businesses that are loathe to sign a 5-year lease. Until I ended up in sublet space I thought they were all just chasing a small chunk of freelancers but they're wickedly popular with startups and branch offices here, especially in our off-tenderloin ghetto.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:03 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Completely agree. Not a good development for the area. Parc Midtown is across the street and Alta Midtown is a block away and multiple high-rises proposed across the street. This development needs sent back to the drawing board. It's too suburban for what the area is becoming.
That's pretty much what the developer heard from the Encanto VPC tonight. It looked like the committee would vote to recommend denial, so they asked for a continuance.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That's pretty much what the developer heard from the Encanto VPC tonight. It looked like the committee would vote to recommend denial, so they asked for a continuance.
Im pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a rubber stamp just to fill such an old eyesore.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:39 PM

So a couple of things came in to the city yesterday. Preliminary building plans for Aura Midtown at Central and Indianola were submitted. The online posting said almost nothing, but here is the rezoning staff report https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Aura%20Midtown.

Final building plans were submitted for Broadstone at Portland at 320 E. Portland. The online info simply says "New construction of 4-story wood frame apartments (rental) over a 3 level concrete garage. The ground floor includes parking, residential and leasing office uses." I couldn't find elevations of it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:57 PM
Skyriser

This is outstanding news that Broadstone is continuing to densify that area. 3 levels of parking and 4 stories of woodframe suggests some solid ground floor uses as well. All the vacant lots surrounding 320 E Portland, including the one that wraps around the staffing office are owned by the same entity.

And it's on the same block as the Deck Park RFP which we haven't heard about for a similar development.

I can't wait till I'm an old man and I can point to what will be wooden workforce schlock as the meat and potatoes of a thriving downtown, if some of them haven't been torn down for highrises by then.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:19 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Im pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a rubber stamp just to fill such an old eyesore.
I'm glad residents are finally realizing that Downtown/Midtown has exceeded the need for suburban-designed schlock to fill up empty lots. Hopefully, the city follows and denies this for need of a better design.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:56 PM

Is broadstone Portland 7 stories in height or is some of the levels of parking below grade? Would be nice to get some height next to the Cambria hotel.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:50 PM
MAPAZ

Downtown Phoenix - 3D New High Rise Map (2019-2024) rev 7-1-2019

Downtown Phoenix - 3D New High Rise Map (2019-2024)
Revised 7-1-2019

- Added Ten-0-One project at Central Ave/Roosevelt Row area.
- Also cleaned up some graphics, floor heights, and names to reflect recent media and project documents.
- The map reflects 23 unique high-rise projects 'planned' over the next 5 years.

Enjoy!

https://imgur.com/a/vq4xK04

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:36 PM

There is a new proposed PUD for the NWC or Camelback/44th where the Suns practice facility is supposed to go.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-36-19n.pdf

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:52 PM

Final building plans submitted yesterday for the Park Central apartments:

Quote:
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: Scope Text = New Building, 9-Story, Non-Combustible, For Rent Apartment Project, 278 Units (Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Partial Landscape) Civil, Landscape, Fire submitted under separate review.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:49 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
There is a new proposed PUD for the NWC or Camelback/44th where the Suns practice facility is supposed to go.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-36-19n.pdf
I hope they vote this down. Self-storage, an abundance of surface parking, small-floor plate office, and retail hidden from the street are all just bad.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I hope they vote this down. Self-storage, an abundance of surface parking, small-floor plate office, and retail hidden from the street are all just bad.
Looked over the doc - I think that’s the best that corner will do. It also appeared that the self storage may already be onsite, and its also listed as office. I’d imagine they’ll go with that to start and convert to office in a later phase.

IIRC - a lot of those buildings on that corner were already 3-4 stories - just that 2 of them were underground. The residents on Camelback Mtn have a history of being very picky with anything going up on that corner. They almost held back the grocery store on the NE corner until they compromised by hiding the loading docks.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:43 PM

https://kjzz.org/content/1028196/pho...ter-south-hall

Not really a lot of news, just discussing the council's plan for public input on the South Hall of the Convention Center.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:52 PM

Q3 Dtphx Development Report

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 8:46 PM

Crane is up at Phoenix biomedical building on garfield and 4th st

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 3:44 AM
self-important urbanista

I heard a rumor that some of the space within the Chase Tower is being converted to condominium residences. Can anyone confirm? While I know there may be some prestige associated with a penthouse suite in the city's tallest building, the tower's awful street presence negates a lot of the advantages of living downtown.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 6:24 AM

No one cares what the outside of the condo looks like when they're looking out from the 35th floor. I assure you if they are doing condo construction there they will sell them all. Regency and executive are awful looking buildings with terrible street presence and those sell easily.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I heard a rumor that some of the space within the Chase Tower is being converted to condominium residences. Can anyone confirm? While I know there may be some prestige associated with a penthouse suite in the city's tallest building, the tower's awful street presence negates a lot of the advantages of living downtown.
Give me a balcony... then let me know how much and sign me up!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest