HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:26 PM

Burke on corruption charges! HE GONE! Along with Ricardo Munoz, Christmas is still giving us gifts!!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...103-story.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Now can we charge like 20 more aldermen with extortion? Lord knows halfvof them are guilty of it!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:33 PM

Ricardo Munoz once personally shat on me for "gentrifying" Little Village, not surprised to see he is a wife beater.

Burke's brother resigned, would be interesting to see if there is a sudden vacancy on the IL supreme Court...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Now can we charge like 20 more aldermen with extortion? Lord knows halfvof them are guilty of it!
I can't help but beat my dead horse of reducing the City Council size to 10. The whole system is set up for corruption as is. There is absolutely no need for 50 wards when NYC has 50 council members and LA has 10. Both those cities seem to be doing fine with far less representation per capita.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I can't help but beat my dead horse of reducing the City Council size to 10. The whole system is set up for corruption as is. There is absolutely no need for 50 wards when NYC has 50 council members and LA has 10. Both those cities seem to be doing fine with far less representation per capita.
It isn't really an apples to apples comparison. For example, NYC also has 5 distinct borough presidents, borough boards and community boards (comprised of representatives from 59 community districts).

LA has 15 council members and 97 neighborhood councils who according to the city charter “may present to the Mayor and Council an annual list of priorities for the City budget.”

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Ricardo Munoz once personally shat on me for "gentrifying" Little Village, not surprised to see he is a wife beater.

Burke's brother resigned, would be interesting to see if there is a sudden vacancy on the IL supreme Court...
All this news, along with Madigan being 76 and a new Mayor soon could be the end of the Machine!

Who fills the power void?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
It isn't really an apples to apples comparison. For example, NYC also has 5 distinct borough presidents, borough boards and community boards (comprised of representatives from 59 community districts).
I honestly wish Chicago could adopt something similar to NYC's borough president model for for the North/Northwest, West, and South/Southwest Sides

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:00 PM

I thought Rahm would, but he's going fishing or something.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:34 PM

Quote:

LA has 15 council members and 97 neighborhood councils who according to the city charter “may present to the Mayor and Council an annual list of priorities for the City budget.”
Not really. Each burough President is really a County President as like Cook County President. Each borough (ie. County) also has a board like Cook County's board. And those community district boards are voluntary and have no real power.

I think those LA neighborhood are just feel good things too.

I'd glady get rid of 40 alderman and create unpaid neighborhood boards with no power.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

So, the Ed Burke story got even more wild (what a surprise). Burke was shaking down and exorting Burger King, the one that had footage of the Laquan McDonald police shooting, to donate $10,000 in campaign funds otherwise they would not receive renovation permits. The $10,000 was then used for Toni Preckwinkle's reelection campaign. Preckwinkle "did not report the contribution to state election officials. State law requires all political contributions to be reported by candidates."

Campaign money tied to Ald. Edward Burke’s alleged extortion scheme was intended for County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, sources say

It's only day 3 of 2019, and already we have a "Story of the Year" candidate

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ holy fuck!

now that's a political bombshell.

we all knew burke was crooked AF, but the fact that this might also topple preckwinkle, well that's something else altogether.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
So, the Ed Burke story got even more wild (what a surprise). Burke was shaking down and exorting Burger King, the one that had footage of the Laquan McDonald police shooting, to donate $10,000 in campaign funds otherwise they would not receive renovation permits. The $10,000 was then used for Toni Preckwinkle's reelection campaign. Preckwinkle "did not report the contribution to state election officials. State law requires all political contributions to be reported by candidates."

Campaign money tied to Ald. Edward Burke’s alleged extortion scheme was intended for County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, sources say

It's only day 3 of 2019, and already we have a "Story of the Year" candidate
Wow, would be nice to be rid of Prekwinkle too.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I thought Rahm would, but he's running for president or something.
FTFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ holy fuck!

now that's a political bombshell.

we all knew burke was crooked AF, but the fact that this might also topple preckwinkle, well that's something else altogether.
Lol yup, Preckwinkle might be more than toppled if the Feds follow all leads originating from this. Apparently Burke's phones were tapped too so undoubtedly they have multiple other horse trading incidents on tape and will leverage these apparently solid charges to try to flip Burke into taking down everyone in his circle in exchange for maybe a shot at freedom again for a few years before he dies.

What great news, as much as Preckwinkle has claimed to be a reformer, she's a slimebag machine politician like the rest of the Democratic machine at the end of the day. Too bad Rahm isn't hanging around, he has never been on good terms with these people and, in fact, one of his first orders of bust upon being elected was to start fucking with Burke's security detail and other perks.

I thought this quote from the Tribune article was particularly cute:

Quote:
“Chairman Edward M. Burke would like to invite you to a fundraiser in support of Hon. Toni Preckwinkle,” reads the invitation to the Jan. 19 fundraiser, which offered the status of chair for $10,000, co-chair for $5,000 and sponsor for $2,500. In the weeks that followed, Preckwinkle’s campaign reported tens of thousands of dollars in contributions, and in recent years Burke has contributed nearly $13,000 to her campaign fund, the Tribune previously reported.

After Burke’s City Hall and ward offices were raided by the FBI last month, Preckwinkle donated the $13,000 to charity. Hennelly said Preckwinkle has no idea why Burke may have been trying to leverage contributions to her campaign fund.

“Toni knows nothing about Ald. Ed Burke’s activities, the way he raised that money. She knows now, and she’s appalled,” Hennelly said. “If she had known at the time, we would have completely disassociated herself with it.”
Does not compute. One doesn't simply receive $13k in donations from Burke and not know why he gave you money. One certainly doesn't immediately dump that cash to charity when Burke's offices get raided. Looks like someone got caught with their hand in a particularly disgusting cookie jar. She will be lucky if the Feds don't have the exact conversation between her and Burke telling her what she is going to do in exchange for certain "favors" on tape.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:53 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I hope my Alderman gets caught up in this.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:11 AM
The City

So Burger King might just bring down Burke and Crap-winkle?

Oh hell yeah, I’m totally eating a Whopper Jr tommorrow

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:30 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

This is their way of striking at McD's. McD's should try to uncover some scandal in Florida now...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Someone on Reddit suggested holding a meet up at the Burger King in question to celebrate and reward them with business. I would be down for an SSP meetup and whopper cramming to pay them back for their civic service!

Someone else on reddit suggested that someone attend every single hearing for this court case wearing a burger king crown or "the king" mascot outfit. God that would be hilarious, "the king" shooting gun fingers at the camera in the background of every WGN report.

fortune magazine

HAVE IT YOUR WAY BITCH!

NOBODY SHAKES DOWN THE KING!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:01 PM

burke news really is one of those feel good stories everyone can enjoy

and again, it's always been mendoza's

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Who fills the power void?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:37 PM
The City

I’m headed there today—for sure

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest