HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
How are they going to keep the waterfalls working during the winter? If they heat them, they'll look like outdoor saunas from all the steam.
LOL!

That would not happen. Although it could if they really wanted to, but that would take quite a bit of heat

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
LOL!

That would not happen. Although it could if they really wanted to, but that would take quite a bit of heat
Well...the are going to operational during the winter. You know that, right Hayward?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:32 PM

Yeah, last time I checked, water doesn't have to be steaming hot to prevent freezing.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 9:22 PM

Last edited by animatedmartian; Jul 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 10:34 PM

East side of the Pavilion.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Is that an arch I see under the road? It's going to be amazing to see what happens here in the next few weeks.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 1:36 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:51 AM
New Yorker for life

BTW, since this keeps coming up, a quote from a Q&A session about the memorial...

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_a_intro.cfm

Quote:
Q. Since it is so cold in New York, how will you keep the Memorial pools from freezing? – Jeff, Jacksonville, FL

A. Great question. The waterfalls in the reflecting pools will operate throughout the winter months without the risk of freezing because of steam exchanges that the water will run through as it recirculates.

Another water related question...

Quote:
Q. Where is the water for the Memorial pools coming from, and is there a strategy to keep the water from evaporating? – Joseph, Minneapolis, MN

A. The water that will be filling the Memorial reflecting pools is New York City water. The water circulation system we have installed for each pool is designed to provide sufficient replacement water to make up for loss due to evaporation.

One final question about the falls...

Quote:
Q. Is there going to be problems in the fall with leaves falling into and clogging the reflecting pools? If so, how are they going to resolve it? – Michael, New York, NY

A. To deal with the leaves and other debris that may get into the pools, we have installed debris screens located at the bottom of each pool to catch and filter out these items.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:24 AM

They mention all of that in this news story:

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/spec...gineering-feat

Quote:
07/06/2011
9/11 A Decade Later: Memorial Pools' Waterfalls Are A True Engineering Feat
NY1
By: Bobby Cuza

The September 11th memorial, which opens on the 10th anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center, is a feat of engineering due to the powerful machinery that powers the site's signature waterfalls. NY1's Bobby Cuza took an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the site and filed the following report.

A little more than two months from now, visitors to the September 11th Memorial will be greeted by sheets of water cascading 30 feet down into twin reflecting pools set in the footprints of the Twin Towers. These manmade waterfalls have a scale that is unmatched.

“We haven’t had any fountains this large in one place anywhere else in the country,” said Port Authority Senior Engineer Edward McGinley.

What visitors won't see may be just as impressive. Massive pump rooms make up a mechanical marvel that collects all that water, treats it and sends it back to the top at a rate of 24,000 gallons per minute.

“It’s a very complicated, swimming pool-type system, but it requires a lot of maintenance," says McGinley. "There’s a lot of pumps, there’s filters, there’s mechanical filters to take sediment out, there’s UV lights that take bacterial control, there’s chemical additives.”

A heating system will keep the water from freezing in winter and the waterfalls will be carefully regulated, particularly when there is heavy winds.

“You’re going to have blowoff, and you’re going to have turbulence on top of the water," says McGinley. "So you may need to speed up or slow down the pumps, so that you can get the aesthetic look that you’re looking for off the weir, a nice, steady stream of water with a nice, even flow.”

Testing on the north pool is well underway, but the south pool was lagging behind until Wednesday, when it began filling with water.

LED lights at the base of the pools will illuminate the water at night. There are also filters on that level to catch objects like coins and flowers, many of which are likely to be tossed there on September 11, when family members gather at the memorial for the official dedication.

The memorial's online reservation system goes live on Monday, at 911memorial.org.

"The 9/11 Memorial From All Sides"
Beginning Friday, July 8, watch the half-hour special "The 9/11 Memorial From All Sides," in which NY1's Bobby Cuza will give viewers a preview of the memorial, from its concept to its initial design, to the elements and items included in the display.
I can't imagine people thinking it would be good luck tossing coins into the pools, then again I could.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 6:45 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

They mention all of that in this news story:

http://brooklyn.ny1.com/content/spec...gineering-feat

I can't imagine people thinking it would be good luck tossing coins into the pools, then again I could.
Well tossing coins into pools or fountains for good luck is a fairly old tradition, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if people toss in coins en masse.

In fact I would think the further we get from the 9/11 attacks the more likely it is that people would toss in coins as they would any fountain, especially those who were born after the attacks who would view them as something from their high school history books.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 12:49 AM

Looks like they're starting on some of greenwich street- anyone know what that now black section is?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 1:28 PM

Black rubber waterproofing. They're dismantling the makeshift roadway on the roof of the box to make way for the permanent roof, and the Greenwich Street roadway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Is that an arch I see under the road?
No, it's a truss. Zen posted a picture of how it would look (which was later taken down when his Flickr account closed) I still have it, since I take track of most of the drawings (heavily highlighted of course) on the forum. Its got a few more segments and two more supercolumns to go before its complete.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 3:51 PM

Thanks for the info!

in.formed

Last edited by animatedmartian; Jul 10, 2011 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 4:59 PM
Back to Basics

Until they installed those beams, I hadn't realized that section of Greenwich was so far below grade. You can't really tell from the overhead cam on 7WTC. The South section of Greenwich recently had its base concrete roadway poured and I thought this section was at the same level. Clearly these pictures show how much lower it was/is.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Until they installed those beams, I hadn't realized that section of Greenwich was so far below grade. You can't really tell from the overhead cam on 7WTC. The South section of Greenwich recently had its base concrete roadway poured and I thought this section was at the same level. Clearly these pictures show how much lower it was/is.

Wow, +1 for not noticing. I always thought it was at grade- I am proven wrong! That's a LOT further down that I thought.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 10:16 AM

From NBC NewYork

"9/11 Memorial to Begin Taking Ticket Reservations :"

"People who want to visit the Sept. 11 memorial in New York City when it opens in two months will be able to start reserving tickets over the Internet, starting on Monday. ..."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...125287108.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 4:59 PM
Back to Basics

I am not really clear on the "Ticket" idea. I realize while the whole area is still under construction there are fences blocking off most of the plaza and there would be areas that are gated, so ticket taking could happen... But in the future, when all construction is complete, surely the plaza will be open on all sides and anyone strolling along could walk over to the pools with out a ticket?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
Grand is Golden!

Remember that they still have to connect future Greenwich st. with the 9/11 Memorial. There's a huge gap between them. Not to mention that they still have concrete and blacktop to add. That's probably another 1 or 2 feet there.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Well...the are going to operational during the winter. You know that, right Hayward?
Of course I do, but as I mentioned, do you think they'd let that happen? I know enough basic thermodynamics that they can adjust temperatures accordingly to prevent fog. I can't say with certainty what that delta range is, but I'm sure we've all seen liquid water capable of NOT visibly condensing in cold temperatures.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 10:39 PM
Back to Basics

Question

Anyone familiar with the construction of the Transit Hub know why this section has been left exposed to the elements for so long?

It seems counter-intuitive to continue the construction below, while all the rain and crap keeps pouring in. One would think that if there was still big equipment to install, they would have fashioned a temporary cover which they could remove to allow the installation or extraction of large equipment.

(Closeup of screen capture from KPI TV webacam found here: http://evsdatacenter.netfirms.com/kpitv/silver.htm )

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 12:15 AM

Fabrication

This section remained open because fabrication of these arches and super columns just takes a tremendous amount of time. When the pieces are ready they are shipped to the site. Just shipping takes a couple of days to generate the proper permits so they can travel the city streets along designated routes at night. The tent in the middle tells me they are still welding the spine pieces in place. If I recall correctly they started the spine in April and it looks like they are about three quarters of the way to the box girder.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture