HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 6:18 PM
BANNED

By pushing parking out of the buildings, what you are in effect arguing for is less underground parking and more street and surface lot parking or parking structures.

But in any event, I doubt that parking mandates drive the construction of low-rise housing to any great extent. Builders go where demand exists, and if you want to make a neighborhood desirable you look for good schools, low crime, shopping, parks, etc. These are the real drivers of value and demand.

Although I don't believe parking is a leading driver, I have never heard anyone say they are looking for a neighborhood with less parking. On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I hear people from NY or SF say they like living (or would like living) in the city, but the parking sucks.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 3:34 AM
I enjoy discussing issues

Sorry pesto, cities like New York or San Francisco physically could not exist with parking requirements like LA. I'm not saying that all parking requirements are bad thing, but having a parking minimum for beds in a downtown homeless shelter says something about how ridiculous LA's requirements are.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumoto View Post
having a parking minimum for beds in a downtown homeless shelter says something about how ridiculous LA's requirements are.
Hard to argue with that. What's the news source for that statement? Sounds almost to crazy to be true... almost.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 3:28 AM
I enjoy discussing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Hard to argue with that. What's the news source for that statement? Sounds almost to crazy to be true... almost.
Um, not from any news source. Look in the LA zoning code.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:47 AM

Wow! Potential new double high-rise apartment complex in Koreatown by Wilshire/Vermont station.

Developer Jerry Snyder’s new plan for the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue calls for a $150-million, 464-unit apartment complex in two towers of 25 and 30 stories. (Jerde Partnership / January 28, 2011)

"Builder Jerry Snyder plans to break ground this summer on a 464-unit complex at Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue, where he had previously announced his intention to build a vertical retail mall.

Snyder and his J.H. Snyder Co., with partner Michael Wise, are finishing plans for an apartment complex called the Vermont that would put residences in two towers of 25 and 30 stories. The ground level on Wilshire and Vermont would house restaurants and shops."

Full story on LA Times

Last edited by LosAngelesBeauty; Jan 28, 2011 at 7:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 6:50 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Wow! Potential new double high-rise apartment complex in Koreatown by Wilshire/Vermont station.

Developer Jerry Snyder’s new plan for the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Vermont Avenue calls for a $150-million, 464-unit apartment complex in two towers of 25 and 30 stories. (Jerde Partnership / January 28, 2011)

Full story on LA Times
Holy lawnmower, that out of left field! I I'm not sure I like the mini driveway, but that complex would go a long way to help the blighted Korea Town.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Holy lawnmower, that out of left field! I I'm not sure I like the mini driveway, but that complex would go a long way to help the blighted Korea Town.
Korea Town is taking form and L.A. will have another example of how to develop residential real-estate property on a large scale. I applaud this effort because we are short-handed with regard to examples of sustainable real estate development in L.A. proper. Every quality example should be supported and I hope the developer makes a fortune on this property because this is a clear improvement for K-Town residents and Angelenos as a whole.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 3:02 PM

Looking back at page 1 (still very well organized btw) I wonder was that the site of a former South Group proposal? I like the new plan better-

Old?-

Edit: Curbed says it's already entitled and has financing in place as well. Let's see if they start by summer as they claim.

Last edited by Steve2726; Jan 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:37 PM

As someone who lives a stone's throw from Wilshire/Vermont, I can't wait! That intersection is probably one of the liveliest in Koreatown as it is, despite two of its corners being taken up by a gas station and an enormous vacant lot. Lets hope the potential doesn't stay squandered for much longer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
Heavy User

464 units is enormous! wow. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Not a fan of the blank wall along Vermont whatsoever (or the visible parking podium along Wilshire), but the rest of the project looks pretty damn good. What's exciting about this proposal is not only the projected timeline (they want to start construction this Summer), but the fact that a developer is building a rental apartment tower. If this pencils out, I really hope this means we'll see more of this type of development, especially downtown.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 1:10 AM

I agree. Apartments make sense there; I was never a fan of the "vertical mall" that was proposed for that corner. LA does NOT need another Beverly Center or Korean Galleria.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I agree. Apartments make sense there; I was never a fan of the "vertical mall" that was proposed for that corner. LA does NOT need another Beverly Center or Korean Galleria.
I disagree. While a vertical mall may not make sense here, one near LA Live across Figueroa on one of the large parking lots would be awesome.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:45 AM

If they are going to build it with that ridiculous drive way and cartoon-like green space in front, then just DONT build it.

Build it right or don't build it at all. This is not how buildings should be done in this area of the city, and its not asking to much to just build the density right up to the street wall where all the other buildings are.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:50 AM

I dunno if this has been answered but does anyone know whats going to be built on the corner of santa monica bl and highland where the del taco use to to be

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 4:49 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
As someone who lives a stone's throw from Wilshire/Vermont, I can't wait! That intersection is probably one of the liveliest in Koreatown as it is, despite two of its corners being taken up by a gas station and an enormous vacant lot. Lets hope the potential doesn't stay squandered for much longer.
This is a lively place, in large part, because this is where one of the busiest North-South conglomeration of Metro bus lines interface with the Metro Purple Line subway. It is also the current terminus of that line, and there are therefore, lots of transfers from the Purple to East-West bus lines. And, there are a lot of bus to bus N-S to E-W transfers here.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allnatural85 View Post
I dunno if this has been answered but does anyone know whats going to be built on the corner of santa monica bl and highland where the del taco use to to be
Chick-fil-A.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:07 PM

Great news! Not a fan of the blank wall or the enormous number of parking spaces.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:09 PM

What's the latest on Blvd 6200 that was supposed to break ground this month?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:26 PM

One of my biggest complaints about LA urban development is does everything OUTSIDE of DTLA (or many Hollywood) have to be so god damn linear?

The Snyder towers are directed toward Wilshire but not Vermont, which is JUST as if not more busy that Wilshire through that section.

Why can't the developers add retail on BOTH streets?

Does someone know the developers personally and can tell them they are making a bad design choice when it comes to retail space?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations