HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:00 PM

Does anyone know what they're building in this entire area? From when this image was taken, there is a new building still under construction towards the top of the parcel and there looks to be some sort of tunnel for the rail at the top as well. It's a massive property so I'm guessing there are multiple projects?

upload image on web

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Does anyone know what they're building in this entire area? From when this image was taken, there is a new building still under construction towards the top of the parcel and there looks to be some sort of tunnel for the rail at the top as well. It's a massive property so I'm guessing there are multiple projects?

upload image on web
Pre-construction for Union Station run-through tracks. That is the red line tunnel coming up to its maintenance yard from after Union Station

https://la.streetsblog.org/2022/05/2...s-construction

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Pre-construction for Union Station run-through tracks. That is the red line tunnel coming up to its maintenance yard from after Union Station

https://la.streetsblog.org/2022/05/2...s-construction
Oh wow, didn't realize they were already working on that. Run through tracks are supposed to be done by 2028?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:13 AM

Not the run-through tracks. That's the Division 20 portal widening/turnback project. It will allow metro to operate trains every 5 minutes on the D line. Metro can't currently turn trains that fast at union station.

It is supposed to open before the under construction Section 1 extension is completed but it's had significant delays and is way behind schedule.

https://www.metro.net/projects/division-20/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Oh wow, didn't realize they were already working on that. Run through tracks are supposed to be done by 2028?
They were supposed to but metro no longer lists that as a project that will be completed by then.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
The point is, nobody should be "shocked" with vacant storefronts anywhere in the post covid era. Its just part of the new reality, and who knows when thats going to change.

Because every city downtown/neighborhood in the country has them to some extent.
I’m going to be completely honest and this may be hard to hear. It’s somewhat of a national issue, but DTLA is doing extremely poorly in this category relative to other cities. I used to live in DTLA and go back quite a bit. The city does absolutely nothing to promote, invest or clean up downtown. Until that changes, retail/restaurant investment will continue to be tepid.

I’m pretty familiar with northeastern cities. It’s hard to compare anything to NYC because it’s in a league of its own. Boston and Philly also struggled with vacant storefronts during the pandemic. However, around a year ago, there was a much needed surge in new retail openings along their respective high streets. While getting office workers to come back is still a challenge, foot traffic has pretty much returned to pre-pandemic levels. This is probably due to the fact that both cities have large, long established residential populations in their urban cores that continue to grow.

Please don’t take this as me dumping on LA. More than anything, I’d love to see residents and local groups hold city officials accountable to care about investing in downtown.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’m going to be completely honest and this may be hard to hear. It’s somewhat of a national issue, but DTLA is doing extremely poorly in this category relative to other cities. I used to live in DTLA and go back quite a bit. The city does absolutely nothing to promote, invest or clean up downtown. Until that changes, retail/restaurant investment will continue to be tepid.

I’m pretty familiar with northeastern cities. It’s hard to compare anything to NYC because it’s in a league of its own. Boston and Philly also struggled with vacant storefronts during the pandemic. However, around a year ago, there was a much needed surge in new retail openings along their respective high streets. While getting office workers to come back is still a challenge, foot traffic has pretty much returned to pre-pandemic levels. This is probably due to the fact that both cities have large, long established residential populations in their urban cores that continue to grow.

Please don’t take this as me dumping on LA. More than anything, I’d love to see residents and local groups hold city officials accountable to care about investing in downtown.

Not sure where in DTLA you’ve been. I’ve been living in DTLA from Palos Verdes since 2016…it’s much more foot traffic now than pre-Covid…except for the Financial District. It’s an absolutely lie to say that there isn’t, to where it’s simply absurd. I don’t know the percentage, but I’m sure there are at least 30% more restaurants and retail than pre-Covid. And it’s been well stated that there’s more people living in DTLA than pre-Covid. Why come on here with lies? Is the city of which you live that boring. We all know the city can do more about the homeless and the grit….what major city doesn’t have that complaint???

Just try and be happy about Philly and stop the BS on the LA forum. SMH

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:59 PM

That is just objectively untrue - While I'd love the city to promote, clean up and invest in Downtown more the recovery to where we were pre-covid in DTLA (when people we extremely optimistic on our citiy's core) is significantly stronger than the majority of US cities and not "extremely poorly in this category relative to other cities".

https://downtownrecovery.com/charts/rankings

Downtown LA clocks in at #20 with recovering 83% of its foot traffic from 2019 and much of the top #20 are not cities you'd call major cities with robust urbanism like Bakersfield, Tuscon, and Wichita.

It is doing much better than most of our West Coast peers (Seattle #67 at 57% recovery, Portland #61 at 61% recovery, San Francisco #48 at 67%, San Diego at #27 with 80%).

The population of Downtown Los Angeles is at all time highs.

And if you want to get into anecdotes, I go downtown plenty and while there is still plenty of room to grow and improve I've been pleasantly surprised at the progress and vibrancy of the area including new restaurant openings.

Quote:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:

I haven't been to Philly since 2020, but DC is in horrible shape. Its kind of worse, because they have more vacant office buildings, more WFH causing retail and restaurants to close (I saw it myself) and far more crime. Im going back to the DC burbs for Thanksgiving and my family is warning me to stay out of the city because of all the crime. They've never said that since the 90s. Dupont Circle was a frigging ghost town when I was there last Jan. Vacant storefronts everywhere just like most of downtown DC.

Downtown DC is really struggling and this forum doesnt want to talk about it. id say its doing the worst since 2020. SF might have issues, but it doesn't have that crazy crime to go with everything else. I dont know how DC gets out of this mess. The FBI leaving the city is just another blow there.

That said, it's weird LA leaders don't try to improve downtown, even with the Olympics coming up. I dont get it.

Last edited by LA21st; Nov 9, 2023 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
That is just objectively untrue - While I'd love the city to promote, clean up and invest in Downtown more the recovery to where we were pre-covid in DTLA (when people we extremely optimistic on our citiy's core) is significantly stronger than the majority of US cities and not "extremely poorly in this category relative to other cities".

https://downtownrecovery.com/charts/rankings

Downtown LA clocks in at #20 with recovering 83% of its foot traffic from 2019 and much of the top #20 are not cities you'd call major cities with robust urbanism like Bakersfield, Tuscon, and Wichita.

It is doing much better than most of our West Coast peers (Seattle #67 at 57% recovery, Portland #61 at 61% recovery, San Francisco #48 at 67%, San Diego at #27 with 80%).

The population of Downtown Los Angeles is at all time highs.

And if you want to get into anecdotes, I go downtown plenty and while there is still plenty of room to grow and improve I've been pleasantly surprised at the progress and vibrancy of the area including new restaurant openings.
Yea, its like they dont think we dont to travel to other cities and take their word. I've already commented on Seattle's and Chicago's issues previously. Cant speak for Seattle, but Chicago isn't the same. Is it getting better since 2021? Sure, most places are. But it's not 2019 Chicago.
Going off that chart, it makes sense to me for cities I've been to.

Last edited by LA21st; Nov 10, 2023 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:11 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post

Good to see that. Since dtla first began to see major cracks starting around the 1940s, 1950s, in a way it not only has traveled a pandemic type road before, it was actually in worse shape over 20, 30, 60 yrs ago. I recall spring st before projs like the El dorado bldg had been restored or the Citizen M hotel had been built. Look at the 3 former office bldgs from the 1920s, 1930s around lower broadway or 8th St that have been converted to hotels. Little tokyo is nicer today than it was when it was mainly parking lots & decrepit brick bldgs.

Bunker hill in 2023 now has infill like this, where before it was parking lots or rundown properties. Ppl in LA of the past who in the 1980s...the last time there was an Olympics games....were in their 20s, 30s, 60s, would today be in their 60s, 70s, 80s. So they'd have had to wait a long time to see dt move to the next level.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:45 AM
SUSPENDED

These were posted over the past few days, so I believe they show the bldg in its current state. The pandemic definitely has hurt the supply chain the builder probably relies upon, since the museum's exterior panels are all customized. They're probably built in china & must be the main reason the original opening date of around 2021 or 2022 has been pushed forward to 2025.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post

That said, it's weird LA leaders don't try to improve downtown, even with the Olympics coming up. I don't get it.
Me neither. I was hoping one of the mayoral candidates would have come in with the " Downtown, housing and homelessness is my priority." 2028 is around the corner, red tape and fast approval processes should have been implemented the day LA was given the Olympics.

But this idea that downtown hasn't recovered close to others is an odd statement. I stayed at the WG last month, downtown was more or less how it was pre pandemic or what I would expect with the boundaries of fig and Broadway. People with the doom and gloom truly believe that we don't travel to other cities ha-ha.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Me neither. I was hoping one of the mayoral candidates would have come in with the " Downtown, housing and homelessness is my priority." 2028 is around the corner, red tape and fast approval processes should have been implemented the day LA was given the Olympics.

But this idea that downtown hasn't recovered close to others is an odd statement. I stayed at the WG last month, downtown was more or less how it was pre pandemic or what I would expect with the boundaries of fig and Broadway. People with the doom and gloom truly believe that we don't travel to other cities ha-ha.
It's possible when city leaders are motivated. San Francisco is literally making homeless people pack up and move so they can impress President Xi Jinping at APEC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/10/u...ity-clean.html

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
It's possible when city leaders are motivated. San Francisco is literally making homeless people pack up and move so they can impress President Xi Jinping at APEC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/10/u...ity-clean.html

Absolutely. The key difference here being that the Olympics is still 5 years away while this APAC event is right around the corner.

Will be interesting to see if the changes SF makes here have any kind of lasting impact.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 1:00 AM

L.A. Mayor Launches a New Strategy to Boost Housing Production

David Zahniser
Los Angeles Times
November 11, 2023

For nearly a year, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass has placed a huge emphasis on the need for low-cost housing, ordering city agencies to tear down bureaucratic hurdles that slow the approval of new, affordably priced apartments.

On Wednesday, Bass expanded that effort, signaling that she is also interested in lifting obstacles for at least some market-rate units — particularly if they are located within projects that include some affordable housing.

The proof of that shift was Executive Directive 7, a mayoral order that calls for a fresh look at the city’s “site plan review” process, which requires that developments with 50 or more net new market-rate housing units undergo an environmental analysis.

For real estate developers, site plan review is one of the more reviled elements of the city’s planning process. In many cases, that review can be the difference between applying for over-the-counter permits at the Department of Building and Safety and going through a public process that consumes six months or more, said attorney Dave Rand, who has represented an array of developers at City Hall.

Rand said site plan review also can open the door to lengthy challenges from neighborhood groups, construction trade unions and others. That makes the mayor’s push to rework the process “a big deal,” he said.

“For years, it’s been it’s been a significant barrier to housing production,” Rand said. “The mayor is making real moves to do something about it in a way that we have not seen before.”

In her order, Bass instructed the city’s planning department to report on the preparation of an ordinance that would increase the threshold needed to trigger site plan review. That raises the possibility that she could seek to raise the minimum to 75 units. Or 100. Or 150.

For now, Bass is not saying which number she would choose, if any, or whether such a change would apply to only certain types of projects. However, she has been offering a broader argument about the need for a larger supply of homes at all income levels.

“The high cost of housing obviously is most extreme in the 46,000 people who are on our streets every day,” Bass said earlier this week. “But people who are housed or who are graduating college and want to live in the town they grew up in are consistently priced out.”

Bass’ executive order also calls for new research on other housing production strategies, such as the conversion of vacant office space into housing and the removal of barriers to the construction of for-sale homes. However, the proposal for redesigning site plan review is the first on the list of policy changes contained in the mayor’s order — and builds on work that began in December, when Bass took office.

Bass first moved to exempt 100% affordable housing projects from site plan review in December, just as she declared a citywide emergency on homelessness. Seven months later, the City Council expanded on that effort, approving an ordinance that ensured that any affordable unit — including those found in mixed-income projects — would not be counted toward the 50-unit threshold.

Any effort to also exempt market-rate units from site plan review would require council approval. However, such a move could also spark opposition from neighborhood advocates, who say that site plan review plays an important role — ensuring that community members have a voice in the development process and are informed about the environmental impacts of a large-scale project.

“Shutting site plan review down is a way of saying they don’t want to know at City Hall what the impacts will be, and how you might make it a better project,” said Laura Lake, co-founder of Friends of Westwood.

Lake’s organization sued the city in 1986 over a proposed office tower on Wilshire Boulevard and prevailed — a legal victory that led to the creation of the site plan review process under Mayor Tom Bradley.

Bass, for her part, said any changes pursued as a result of Executive Directive 7 will be carried out “in partnership with our communities and with their input.”

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 1:58 AM

L.A. Mayor Launches a New Strategy to Boost Housing Production

David Zahniser
Los Angeles Times
November 11, 2023

For nearly a year, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass has placed a huge emphasis on the need for low-cost housing, ordering city agencies to tear down bureaucratic hurdles that slow the approval of new, affordably priced apartments.

On Wednesday, Bass expanded that effort, signaling that she is also interested in lifting obstacles for at least some market-rate units — particularly if they are located within projects that include some affordable housing.

The proof of that shift was Executive Directive 7, a mayoral order that calls for a fresh look at the city’s “site plan review” process, which requires that developments with 50 or more net new market-rate housing units undergo an environmental analysis.

For real estate developers, site plan review is one of the more reviled elements of the city’s planning process. In many cases, that review can be the difference between applying for over-the-counter permits at the Department of Building and Safety and going through a public process that consumes six months or more, said attorney Dave Rand, who has represented an array of developers at City Hall.

Rand said site plan review also can open the door to lengthy challenges from neighborhood groups, construction trade unions and others. That makes the mayor’s push to rework the process “a big deal,” he said.

“For years, it’s been it’s been a significant barrier to housing production,” Rand said. “The mayor is making real moves to do something about it in a way that we have not seen before.”

In her order, Bass instructed the city’s planning department to report on the preparation of an ordinance that would increase the threshold needed to trigger site plan review. That raises the possibility that she could seek to raise the minimum to 75 units. Or 100. Or 150.

For now, Bass is not saying which number she would choose, if any, or whether such a change would apply to only certain types of projects. However, she has been offering a broader argument about the need for a larger supply of homes at all income levels.

“The high cost of housing obviously is most extreme in the 46,000 people who are on our streets every day,” Bass said earlier this week. “But people who are housed or who are graduating college and want to live in the town they grew up in are consistently priced out.”

Bass’ executive order also calls for new research on other housing production strategies, such as the conversion of vacant office space into housing and the removal of barriers to the construction of for-sale homes. However, the proposal for redesigning site plan review is the first on the list of policy changes contained in the mayor’s order — and builds on work that began in December, when Bass took office.

Bass first moved to exempt 100% affordable housing projects from site plan review in December, just as she declared a citywide emergency on homelessness. Seven months later, the City Council expanded on that effort, approving an ordinance that ensured that any affordable unit — including those found in mixed-income projects — would not be counted toward the 50-unit threshold.

Any effort to also exempt market-rate units from site plan review would require council approval. However, such a move could also spark opposition from neighborhood advocates, who say that site plan review plays an important role — ensuring that community members have a voice in the development process and are informed about the environmental impacts of a large-scale project.

“Shutting site plan review down is a way of saying they don’t want to know at City Hall what the impacts will be, and how you might make it a better project,” said Laura Lake, co-founder of Friends of Westwood.

Lake’s organization sued the city in 1986 over a proposed office tower on Wilshire Boulevard and prevailed — a legal victory that led to the creation of the site plan review process under Mayor Tom Bradley.

Bass, for her part, said any changes pursued as a result of Executive Directive 7 will be carried out “in partnership with our communities and with their input.”

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 6:02 AM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 6:42 PM
SUSPENDED

Video Link

as for LA city hall, too many ppl in it have cultural, economic & political agendas where the health & vibrancy of dtla are of secondary importance. I suspect a lot of them wouldn't find this forum as very interesting. Although projs similar to what the weingardt foundation is involved in near Skid row would interest some of them.

Knowing more about the background of the person behind this, I'm more interested in it too. But he implied that LA city hall & Ca govt are treating him like a nuisance. In the meantime, the sidewalks of dt remain business as usual.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 6:52 PM
Environmental Sabotage

That is an ambitious plan. Let's help this come to fruition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations